Why is it ?

TreeGuy

It is simple to understand why we have these topics/discussions over and over.Every year/day we have new people getting into either hunting or just sport shooting.What firearm I decide to use is my choice it may not be what you would use.I have been around guns my entire life and been hunting for nearly 30 years and know what works.The choice of firearm that I use is do to the area that I hunt.The enjoyment of being able to have game come closer in my opinion makes myself a more effective hunter.

• Like 1

I agree proficiency with said weapon and right load is key, the thing is I know 95% of all the hunters I know are not proficient, as thay only pick up the gun 1 to 3 weeks before season and nay only put 1 to 5 rounds throught the gun and it's good enough,

The problem arises when someone who is post he killed something with a certain cal gun so everyone assumes it's fine to take one out cause a friend if my 3 rd. Cousin 2x removed killed a 250 lb with it at 1000 yards and it dropped in it s tracks.... (no mention that said shooter is a trained long range sniper and highly decorated ever enters the story...

Hit the wrong button , while hunting there one day , I heard a number of shots going off at least the 5 at each time , there were 3. Fellows hunting there , one came over to us and asked if we had an extra do permit , the shot a doe , thinking it was a buck , the deer was hit in the front knee and nose , pretty bad 3 shooters , 5 shots each , 1 deer, all with .223 are fireatms. Cannot blame the firearms , just the shooters.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

grampy, on 01 Feb 2016 - 4:59 PM, said:

It's just fun for those of us who are interested in rifles and ballistics to enter into discussions like this.

I always get involved, even though I know that there dozens of rifle/chambering combos out there that are equally effective on deer and similar sized game.

Like the 7mm/08. Hands down the perfect whitetail killer!...........jm2cents2.......

You are OK,, Grampy....

You are hearby invited to go out with me and the guys who like low power/fixed power scopes  to get drunk and pick up chicks...<<GRIN>>..

• Like 2

It's just fun for those of us who are interested in rifles and ballistics to enter into discussions like this.

I always get involved, even though I know that there dozens of rifle/chambering combos out there that are equally effective on deer and similar sized game.

I agree, I as well always get involved knowing good and well that I won't change anyone's mind and that there is a very slim chance of anyone changing mine.

I have killed deer with a lot of different cartridges from 223 to 450 marlin and all of them did their job if I did mine. But if I had to pick 1 you can bet it would start with 35!

Buckmaster7600, on 01 Feb 2016 - 7:34 PM, said:

I agree, I as well always get involved knowing good and well that I won't change anyone's mind and that there is a very slim chance of anyone changing mine.

I have killed deer with a lot of different cartridges from 223 to 450 marlin and all of them did their job if I did mine. But if I had to pick 1 you can bet it would start with 35!

I hear you, Stubby...

AND that cartridge would serve you well for ANY game on this continent and most game on any other continent....Even there, if they make solids in .35 cal....

• Like 1

You are OK,, Grampy....

You are hearby invited to go out with me and the guys who like low power/fixed power scopes to get drunk and pick up chicks...<<GRIN>>..

Got slapped a couple of times and threw my back out, the last time I tried "picking up chicks". I'm good with alcohol and B S,ing about low power\fixed power,scopes and hunting guns though! Count me in!

• Like 1

Whenever these discussions come up, I have to admit that most of what my opinions are made from the experiences of others. Actually there are damn few of us that has actual hands-on experience with shooting each different caliber and load into actual deer in actual hunting conditions and then doing it repeatedly so that valid data can be collected. However, we all do read and converse with others, and eventually arrive at some kind of fairly firm opinion. Stir in a little logic and common sense, and your individual opinion will probably not let you get too far off-track.

I like to throw in some kind of factor of safety into my selections for the times when things don't always go per plan. These are living, breathing creatures that we are hunting, so they probably deserve a little of that extra consideration rather than trying to always be right on the edge.

• Like 3

That may be true, Belo...

Much of my time on here is spent killing time and entertaining myself, and hopefully, some other folks..

However, I have gleaned a HUGE amount of knowledge from the net over the last 20 years or so.. Perhaps it only  amounted to 10 or 15% of my time on here, but it  is certainly worthwhile...

I remember researching out of state hunting trips in pre-internet days, when everything was done by mail or telephone..

I can get more good info in an hour now than I could get in a month back then.

• Like 1