ANYONE SEE THE NEW NY OUTDOOR NEWS

Larry

Am I the only one that would like to see big changes made? Bow season interfers with coyote season effectively cutting off half the season. It puts a damper on just about every season in fact. Most guys can't run rabbits or anything with hounds. Finding a spot to fall turkey hunt with a gun can be a challenge. I know 80% of all hunters deer hunt but that is not to say that deer hunting is 80% of all hunting. I'd like to see air rifles offered. The removal of the no artificial light law so that laser sights can be used. Maybe even a short hound season for deer even though I would not own any deer hounds there are those that would. I'd like to see more tags offered and a shorter more flexible season. To say no changes for five years is extreme to me. We need a system that is agile and can adjust quickly.

Am I the only one that would like to see big changes made? Bow season interfers with coyote season effectively cutting off half the season. It puts a damper on just about every season in fact. Most guys can't run rabbits or anything with hounds. Finding a spot to fall turkey hunt with a gun can be a challenge. I know 80% of all hunters deer hunt but that is not to say that deer hunting is 80% of all hunting. I'd like to see air rifles offered. The removal of the no artificial light law so that laser sights can be used. Maybe even a short hound season for deer even though I would not own any deer hounds there are those that would. I'd like to see more tags offered and a shorter more flexible season. To say no changes for five years is extreme to me. We need a system that is agile and can adjust quickly.

What are the benefits of having a system that is agile? One that jumps from every game management fad and what is fashionable at the moment, to another "great idea?" Not me. I understand that there are a lot of other possible user-groups out there as you enumerated, but like it or not, deer season is king. And bow season is sacred to many of us.

• Like 2

What are the benefits of having a system that is agile? One that jumps from every game management fad and what is fashionable at the moment, to another "great idea?" Not me. I understand that there are a lot of other possible user-groups out there as you enumerated, but like it or not, deer season is king. And bow season is sacred to many of us.

I used to bow hunt I see its appeal. I still deer hunt. I hunt all year round (nuisance). Kill everyone I can get a permit for. I also eat every deer I shoot. I disagree it is king. I think its just the most popular single animal. If you got rid of the number of people you'd find that actually there is a lot more money, time and effort put into the other animals as a whole. Not to mention the most important aspect of hunting is conservation. With all the efforts focused on deer hunting conservation of other animals suffers. Don't get me wrong I realize that deer hunting holds a lot of power. I deal with it all the time. But try another form of hunting and you'll realize there is a lot more to the sport than sitting in a tree stand. Deer hunting has to be the least energetic hunting that I do.

Just because a system is agile doesn't mean it has to change. It just means it can. New technologies should be accepted into the sport as soon as they are deemed safe. It doesn't mean that everyone has to use them  But they should be available. A stagnant no changes allowed policy is grandpa not wanting the young wiper-snapper disturbing him. 

The OP's wording was no changes for "up to" 5 years, which in reality, means nothing at all.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I used to bow hunt I see its appeal. I still deer hunt. I hunt all year round (nuisance). Kill everyone I can get a permit for. I also eat every deer I shoot. 

Out of curiosity how many deer in a year do you eat ? We eat ALOT (3 to 4x a week) and for a family of 3 we consume 3 deer per year.

• Like 1

I used to bow hunt I see its appeal. I still deer hunt. I hunt all year round (nuisance). Kill everyone I can get a permit for. I also eat every deer I shoot. I disagree it is king. I think its just the most popular single animal. If you got rid of the number of people you'd find that actually there is a lot more money, time and effort put into the other animals as a whole. Not to mention the most important aspect of hunting is conservation. With all the efforts focused on deer hunting conservation of other animals suffers. Don't get me wrong I realize that deer hunting holds a lot of power. I deal with it all the time. But try another form of hunting and you'll realize there is a lot more to the sport than sitting in a tree stand. Deer hunting has to be the least energetic hunting that I do.

Just because a system is agile doesn't mean it has to change. It just means it can. New technologies should be accepted into the sport as soon as they are deemed safe. It doesn't mean that everyone has to use them But they should be available. A stagnant no changes allowed policy is grandpa not wanting the young wiper-snapper disturbing him.

We as hunters enjoy complaining about lack of hunters, increase in average age group amongst hunters, and lack of a voice to represent hunters in politics. But we are quick to dismiss change, adapt to new technologies, and embrace new styles of hunting. You'll even see hunters complain about how youth hunts interfere with "their" hunts. Then we wonder why we are a dying breed.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity how many deer in a year do you eat ? We eat ALOT (3 to 4x a week) and for a family of 3 we consume 3 deer per year.

Ate 6 last year and at one point was almost out. Got 4 during the regular season last year I'm half way done. I don't buy beef and eat steak at least twice a week. 

• Like 1

I say get rid of the nuisance permits, or make the shooters accountable for what they do with everyone they kill. They should be used to feed someone not just thrown in the bush to rot.

I agree but the problem is population imbalance. These farms attract too many deer and you can't have all these people out there. The farmers can't eat all that meat. Which is why I get in there and help them. They need incentives to donate it to the local food pantries. But they just shoot from the tractor while they're farming. To them its not worth stopping the tractor. 

I say get rid of the nuisance permits, or make the shooters accountable for what they do with everyone they kill. They should be used to feed someone not just thrown in the bush to rot.

Some may argue that nothing in nature goes to waste, but if you think about what happens to the carcasses, it could very well be used to feed predators, thus increasing their short-term carrying capacity and causing a bloom. In terms of coyotes, the more they are in numbers, the more efficient they hunt, causing a vicious cycle for other game species.

Some may argue that nothing in nature goes to waste, but if you think about what happens to the carcasses, it could very well be used to feed predators, thus increasing their short-term carrying capacity and causing a bloom. In terms of coyotes, the more they are in numbers, the more efficient they hunt, causing a vicious cycle for other game species.

I agree which is why we can't ignore all the other seasons just for Deer season. We need an agile well rounded system.

Also I'll add about the eating part I also get a pig every year from the local farmer. And it's my, my wife and my 10 mo old daughter. And yes she eats venison too. 

Maybe so on some of your points but really...Running dogs in Ny state?  Ever heard from landowner in states that do allow dogs running deer?  Talk about taking the hunt out of hunting. That will do it. 

I don't know about tAking the hunt out of hunting,people hunt this way in many southern states. Now that is the point in a nut shell,in southern states. Their is a reason for this,just look at their liberal kill allowances. I am on a few southern based sites and it amazes me the number of both buck and doe some of those states allow. We just do not have the numbers to do those type oh hunting practices nor I would guess the types of land to do them on.

I don't understand the deer season interrupting other seasons though..why would it interrupt them? They overlap so not illegal to have both hunters afield , May irritate bow hunters but I suppose it's a luck of the draw, as it were, on public land isn't it?

• Like 1

I don't know about tAking the hunt out of hunting,people hunt this way in many southern states. Now that is the point in a nut shell,in southern states. Their is a reason for this,just look at their liberal kill allowances. I am on a few southern based sites and it amazes me the number of both buck and doe some of those states allow. We just do not have the numbers to do those type oh hunting practices nor I would guess the types of land to do them on.

I don't understand the deer season interrupting other seasons though..why would it interrupt them? They overlap so not illegal to have both hunters afield , May irritate bow hunters but I suppose it's a luck of the draw, as it were, on public land isn't it?

Running Deer with Dogs is no different than running anything else with dogs. Hound hunting is just a different more exciting way to hunt. But as HH demonstrated there is a huge stigma against what people don't understand. And the reason you've never heard of it is because you can't in NYS. 

I understand the overlap is not illegal but go ask landowners if you can run some yotes safely with hounds during their deer season. If you find one I'm having you buy me my next lotto ticket. Deer hunters think that running hounds ruins their hunting when studies show it does just the opposite. Every year there are reports of people shooting hounds, taking dogs, taking the collars off of dogs etc because people don't understand how hound hunting works. 

Anyways that's off topic. My point is there are a lot of changes that can be made to the system and to lock it down for the next 5 years is just another reason I want out of this state so badly. Unfortunately I can't leave right now so I just have to keep dealing with it.

As for running dogs for deer, crazy... land is too broken up to get permission from all owners that dogs may run a deer through, that is the biggest challenge when running coyotes, it's not ok cause they are hunting if the owners don't want them there you have no way to keep them off as they are loose and you don't shock them if they cross a property line... I can see people getting permission from a small landowner on either side of a privately well mana gf ed piece and running dogs chase those buck out onto small propetris to waiting hunters... I'd hate to see the legal issues from that.. because it works in another state, averge property size and use as well as hunter density vary greatly from state to state let alone county to county..

• Like 5

I haven't seen the "News" but read the same on line email from the DEC.

My beef is if they decided no further expansion of the AR's is necessary, why not remove them entirely?  We're still stuck having to pass up 5 year old fork horns.  In my area, over half the buck do not have brow tines.

Still, no action by them seems to be better than changing it every year.

Running Deer with Dogs is no different than running anything else with dogs. Hound hunting is just a different more exciting way to hunt. But as HH demonstrated there is a huge stigma against what people don't understand. And the reason you've never heard of it is because you can't in NYS. 

I understand the overlap is not illegal but go ask landowners if you can run some yotes safely with hounds during their deer season. If you find one I'm having you buy me my next lotto ticket. Deer hunters think that running hounds ruins their hunting when studies show it does just the opposite. Every year there are reports of people shooting hounds, taking dogs, taking the collars off of dogs etc because people don't understand how hound hunting works. 

Anyways that's off topic. My point is there are a lot of changes that can be made to the system and to lock it down for the next 5 years is just another reason I want out of this state so badly. Unfortunately I can't leave right now so I just have to keep dealing with it.

I've run deer for dogs. Grew up on it.

Running deer dogs in NY is crazy due to average parcel size of private property being much much smaller than in the southern hunt clubs. Since average parcel size is shrinking everywhere, this is creating even more friction in the South now.

There isn't a property we hunt in NY where we could run dogs without screwing up other hunters' and landowners' rights. Dogs do NOT know property lines regardless of how skilled the handlers are. I ran dogs on major size public grounds and in various hunt clubs that would typically control 4-8k acres of continuous land. We still had issues from time to time when a hot trail led dogs to neighbors - and these were organized hunts with dozens posters, handlers, and a hunt master leading it, and every single person had handheld CBs. Luckily, bordering grounds were all dog runners and common courtesy ensued both ways. That crap isn't happening here in NY. The only thing that keeps dog running legal for deer is the cultural values long instilled in that style of hunting in the South and where it is legal today. It doesn't exist here. Just like tracking deer and still hunting doesn't much exist in the South as a cultural trait.

• Like 4

Having lived in S.C. for a number of years, and hunted with dogs on a hunting club. There is no way that I see, that it could done without running into the problems, phade listed. When I want to hunt with dogs and I do, every couple years or so, I just go south to visit friends and family. Whole different culture and way of hunting down

there. And it works out fine for them as it has for generations. Wouldn't work so well in NYS though.

• Like 2

My beef is if they decided no further expansion of the AR's is necessary, why not remove them entirely? We're still stuck having to pass up 5 year old fork horns. In my area, over half the buck do not have brow tines.

Well the areas that have them were decided upon for 2 reasons, pressure from clubs, and hunter influx from large urban area, the deer population there is no where near what most of what upstate holds..
  • Like 2

My beef is if they decided no further expansion of the AR's is necessary, why not remove them entirely?  We're still stuck having to pass up 5 year old fork horns.  In my area, over half the buck do not have brow tines.

On the DEC website, on the new Buck Management page they do address the issue of the 11 Units in New York that still have the MARs (Mandatory Antler Restrictions) in contrast to VARs (Voluntary Antler Restrictions.) There is light at the end of tunnel down there in Regions 3 and 4.

"DEC does have Mandatory Antler Point Restrictions in 11 Wildlife Management Units in southeastern New York. This program will continue as DEC encourages hunters elsewhere to practice voluntary restraint. Over time, as more and more hunters in the broader region opt to pass on young bucks voluntarily, hunters in the units with mandatory restrictions may be interested in seeing the restrictions lifted."

So that tells me that the writing is on the wall, so to speak.