No More Back Tags

Tacti_Steve

Just read an article that Wisconsin has gone to paperless licenses and gotten rid of back tags. I for one can't wait for NYS to catch up in 20 years. I hunt nearly everyday all year round and remembering to change that back tag over is so annoying. Plus my wallet would be so much thinner not having to carry my license around everywhere. 

Most of the time I don't even have my back tag on and I've never had anyone even notice. And I get stopped probably more than anyone you know because I often hunt within a mile of a village. Last year I went to put my tag in the holder so I could hunt Letchworth state park and realized the tag in there was 3 years old. 

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/outdoors/2016/02/18/hunting-fishing-licenses-going-paperless/80574748/

I was under the impression that NY got rid of the backtag rule a few years ago (I was wrong). That's what you get for listening to your hunting buddies instead of looking up the regs yourself. Only reason I found out was DEC ticketed a few of my hunting buddies one day. I wasn't there but I would have gotten a ticket too. Now I just put my Back tag on my back pack so it is with me no matter what coat I am wearing or what I have on for an outter layer. If they are going to bust my balls over that I guess I will take the ticket and like it...

• Like 1

I on my pants...that is where the only problem for me pops up. They rule it has to be on your back or a ticket can insue. Now in a day and age where guys with guns are harassed, I prefer to have a person see a tag some where visible on me and not call than the DEC. Having to fend off calls about guys with guns seen is the problem...enough calls and complacency kicks in. That's not opinion it is proven fact...then someone could actually have an unanswered or too slowly answered real problem. I'd also prefer that ECO that is glassing an area...see a tag and think twice before interrupting a hunt...JMO

I on my pants...that is where the only problem for me pops up. They rule it has to be on your back or a ticket can insue. Now in a day and age where guys with guns are harassed, I prefer to have a person see a tag some where visible on me and not call than the DEC. Having to fend off calls about guys with guns seen is the problem...enough calls and complacency kicks in. That's not opinion it is proven fact...then someone could actually have an unanswered or too slowly answered real problem. I'd also prefer that ECO that is glassing an area...see a tag and think twice before interrupting a hunt...JMO

You having a backtag on isn't once ever going to stop a ECO from interrupting a hunt.

• Like 3

For a long time it seemed like I would see an EOC officer at least once during the hunting season. They were always very nice and respectful. Never did they come onto the lease and interrupt our hunt. They always knew where we would all meet in a field for lunch or after the day and they would stop in, check our license, ask what we were seeing etc. Haven't seen them in a few years. I assume after a few years of checking on us they decided we were ok and moved on to more problem places.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why to be honest,it may have something to do with the concentration of hunters per square mile? We have a lot of big parcels of state land sometimes I will still hunt after a morning watch cover a mile or so and never bump into another hunter, sometimes there's not even another vehicle parked anywhere on the same road

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I can't speak for the northern zone but I would think if you didn't need it at all they wouldn't still be printing them out. The number never changes either so I don't understand the point of having to put the new color in every year. They can just run the number and tell who you are and if you renewed your license. Assuming someone doesn't have a license because they're not wearing a back tag is an assumption of guilt. We are innocent until proven guilty.

Anyone in the woods with a gun I would assume is hunting. The problem is people that call the cops just because they see someone with a gun. Not why they have the gun. I would think that not requiring the back tag would go more towards our cause in deterring people to stop calling the cops just because they see a gun than the argument for it. 

To me the back tag is just another example of how laws and regulations have not kept up with the changes in society and technology. 

I put it on my back pack. I never liked having to poke a hole through my jackets and almost always have a back pack on while walking. 

A couple of my hunting buddies put theirs on their back packs too. I just play musical chairs with my back tag on my jackets and vests during the time of year when i'm hunting multiple species on rotation each week lol

Edited by Chris B
  • Like 2

I put it on my back pack. I never liked having to poke a hole through my jackets and almost always have a back pack on while walking. 

Well stated. Like you I find most jackets that I own have a Gore-Tex lining for water and wind protection. Best part, is they don't come with a spot to hang your tag, and like you stated, I hate poking a hole into a very expensive jacket. They have talked about getting rid of those back tags for a couple of years now. Wonder if they will finally do it for this year?

• Like 1

Well stated. Like you I find most jackets that I own have a Gore-Tex lining for water and wind protection. Best part, is they don't come with a spot to hang your tag, and like you stated, I hate poking a hole into a very expensive jacket. They have talked about getting rid of those back tags for a couple of years now. Wonder if they will finally do it for this year?

I don't see a reason to have them now. Someone who is going to do illegal things, isn't going to have their back tags on anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2