What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

19 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Nothing special. Just basic h20. I've used apple juice in the past and haven't noticed a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. I stick with water when doing a turret becasue I add carrots, onions, celery and parsley to the water. The resulting liquid in the pan after smoking is the base for the turkey soup I make out of the carcass. Cool it and skim the fat and add the turkey. 

I was informed last week by the g/f I can no longer make my jerky in the oven as we use propane now and she doesn't want the oven burning for 7-10 hours. Can't argue with her on that, I agree. Looking at a decent but reasonable one. I could go dehydrator, but, would rather get a small smoker. At least that way I can do ribs, chicken, fish............

How well do they work in the colder winter months? It would be outdoors so just curious.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I am not worried about the cold.....if I get a charcoal smoker I am worried about it going out with the freakin wind I get off Ms. nasty pants Lake Eire!
So I was thinking either electric or propane..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I was looking at charcoal. Unsure about propane, and I don't really want electric. 

14 hours ago, ....rob said:

I was looking at charcoal. Unsure about propane, and I don't really want electric. 

in reality Rob, a BTU is a BTU. if you go propane you will likely be using more than you would for your house oven since the House oven is usually better insulated than a entry to mid range propane smoker. I have a propane becasue I wanted to mobility and not being tied to electric since camp doesn't have it. If I were to buy one for home it would be electric. Integrated meat probe and they have them now in bluetooth so you can monitor from your smart phone. very well insulated. I don't liek the ones that use the pellets though. I like the actual wood chunks. 

On ‎08‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 5:45 PM, ....rob said:

I was informed last week by the g/f I can no longer make my jerky in the oven as we use propane now and she doesn't want the oven burning for 7-10 hours. Can't argue with her on that, I agree. Looking at a decent but reasonable one. I could go dehydrator, but, would rather get a small smoker. At least that way I can do ribs, chicken, fish............

How well do they work in the colder winter months? It would be outdoors so just curious.

I make jerky in the oven all the time. Door ajar and temp at 200. Only takes 2.5 to 3 hours max.

As far as smokers go I use my charcoal one 12 months a year. I shovel around it. Even on the coldest of days it's just fine getting the temp to 225 degrees.

You can buy one like mine at Lowes for $80  It looks identical to the Weber that sells for $300

Edited by turkeyfeathers

50 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I make jerky in the oven all the time. Door ajar and temp at 200. Only takes 2.5 to 3 hours max.

As far as smokers go I use my charcoal one 12 months a year. I shovel around it. Even on the coldest of days it's just fine getting the temp to 225 degrees.

You can buy one like mine at Lowes for $80  It looks identical to the Weber that sells for $300

I did too when we had natural gas. Now we have to be a little more conscious so we don't run out of propane.

I have seen them at Sears for about the same price. I was shocked they are cheaper then most charcoal grills.

Edited by ....rob

9 minutes ago, Rockspek said:

Nice. We smoked ribs and salmon yesterday and a pork shoulder that I will finish off in the crock pot for dinner tonight. Yesterday was the best ribs I've ever made. 

How'd you prep the salmon ? 

Just picked up another pork shoulder yesterday and also will smoke it and then long term crockpot. No better way IMO. Last few times I've thrown the shoulder in the crockpot and added one beer . Turned out pretty dang juicy and tender