Beards, Spurs & Primary Feathers & Fan Etc.............

Lawdwaz

I also have one of these boards made by Paul,  its on my livingroom wall at camp.

Long time no hear from my friend. Hope all is well. I was out of touch and shop for a number of years due to a nasty divorce. Hopefully, by the end of this month I can be back into production again.

Here is a picture taken a few years ago of me, pygmy, and another friend of ours Jim, with our mounts from a taxidermist in PA. Guy does incredible work, name is Al Strouse.

Guys_with_their_new_mounts.jpg

Either those two other guys are giants or Pygmy is WAY shorter than I remember................................ :)

THANKS, Larry !!

That my NEW Faulk's crow call hanging on the right side right below the tassel from my high school graduation mortarboard.

The 45 RPM record is a recording of M. L. Lynch demonstrating turkey calls on his World Champion Box Call and Jet Slate Call... I got my very first instructions in turkey calling from that record.  Unfortunately I no longer have a turntable to play it on <<sigh>>...

• Like 1

Nice pic's for sure!!

Took this one near a good friend of mine who use to live in Pembroke, NY. Passed this carved wooden statue, and had to take a picture. Sad, but about a month later someone stole it right off this guys front porch!!

Turkeywoodsculpture2007.jpg

• Like 1

I have 4 full mounted birds (Eastern, Osceola, Rio, and Merriam's), as well as a garage full of fans. I usually make a cardboard plaque to support the fan and hot glue the tail and spurs to the plaque. I'm pretty much out of room in my garage, my wife calls it turkey wallpaper. Any new fans will probably get hung up in the shack at hunting camp and the mice can have at them. I did discover a plastic hanger device called "The Fan Dangler" which allows you to hang the fans upside down, I have room for a few more. If I shoot a jake I'll give the tail to someone for their decoy or switch mine out.

post-264-0-16227000-1456914178_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-34781600-1456914188_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-80508200-1456914202_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-78679300-1456914212_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Uncle Nicky, that's something I want to start doing myself, saving a fan or two. In all these years that have gone by, I tried a few times to have them dry on a cardboard, salted, etc. but, they ended up getting rather stenchy smell wise, so I gave up! I guess I have to try again since I do make a display for them as well.

fd992749.jpg

• Like 2

Uncle Nicky, that's something I want to start doing myself, saving a fan or two. In all these years that have gone by, I tried a few times to have them dry on a cardboard, salted, etc. but, they ended up getting rather stenchy smell wise, so I gave up! I guess I have to try again since I do make a display for them as well.

fd992749.jpg

Hmmm...wonder what you are doing wrong?  I've never had a problem with mine, but I trim off as much meat & fat from the base of the tail as possible, and salt very heavily. I know some guys use Borax, but I've had good luck with salt.