Lead sled

Merlot

I use weighted bags too. Those green bags in the pic on each side. Never any issues with scopes or stocks. It will shift and may scuff the table it's on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Do you shoulder the back of the lead sled when shooting?

Always just rested the forend on a back or a padded block for great results at alot cheaper cost.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yep - its just a fabric back and you can pretty much shoulder it like any other rest.

Ok , I have a few shooters rests and not a Lead sled. Is there any truth to optics getting messed up or stocks cracking as the lead sled doesn't allow for any give ?

I was given one and used it a few times to try it out and  never warmed up to it; shoot better off sandbags.....sold it on another forum.

I have several rifles with 2 pc style stocks and the captured recoil puts extra strain on the wrist area in my opinion and I wouldn't use it for them or any slender stock gun for that matter.

More than a few examples around of messed up guns/optics around the web from one; there was whole thread on another large forum I was aware of, but some folks were basically weighting them down so they couldn't move at all.

• Like 2

Was using mine yesterday to sight in a couple older guns with new scopes. Absolutely great for shooting and sighting in. And I also use it to clean the gun when done shooting. As it holds it in place nicely. My opinion is that it's money well spent.

• Like 1

I would say that they would be great for load development, but "sighting in"?

Are you guys going to carry the lead sled around while you are hunting? I wouldn't expect a weapon to shoot to the same POI from the shoulder/bags as W/the lead sled.

I sight in over bags W/my left hand holding the forearm on top of the bag and another bag under the toe. The recoil should be the same as when I shoot off the rails of the stand. Recoil affects POI.

• Like 3

Are you guys going to carry the lead sled around while you are hunting? I wouldn't expect a weapon to shoot to the same POI from the shoulder/bags as W/the lead sled.

I sight in over bags W/my left hand holding the forearm on top of the bag and another bag under the toe. The recoil should be the same as when I shoot off the rails of the stand. Recoil affects POI.

I'd have to agree.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

I disagree having actually sighted in the same rifle off bags and then with the led sled. Only difference was that my groups were slightly tighter off the sled because it is a better rest. Then again, I don't shoot 400yds so perhaps this doesn't apply for the snipers out there.

• Like 2

After the gun is sighted in off the lead sled. Of course, you then shoot off hand, with shooting stick, sitting, kneeling or any way you might shoot while hunting. But before any of that. I need to be sure that gun is spot on. moog said it best. I'm a hunter not a sniper.

• Like 2

I don't shot at 400yds, but more than 1/2 of my shots are right around 240-250yds.

Most of my rifles are capable of 1/2" or less groups @ 100yds off of bags. Anything more than 1" to 1 1'4" is unacceptable.

A 2" POI change @ 100yds will be 5" at 250yds. Add that onto shooting from improvised rests as well as the group spread that is now 1 1/4" to 3" & it can lead to less than ideal shot placement.

• Like 1

After the gun is sighted in off the lead sled. Of course, you then shoot off hand, with shooting stick, sitting, kneeling or any way you might shoot while hunting. But before any of that. I need to be sure that gun is spot on. moog said it best. I'm a hunter not a sniper.

Same I want to know what exactly where the gun hits under dead set hold from a led sled. Then I shoot off my book bag, my knee, offhand etc. if I'm off, I can't only blame myself at that point. Then factor in a big mule deer or antelope or whatever and your heart is pounded between buck fever and the stalk. The last thing I want to worry about it my gun, so I just do my best to hold steady

• Like 1

A 'lead-sled' type of rest generates an entirely different POI from anything encountered in a hunting situation.

They're meant for shooting lots of rounds during load development, testing bedding, checking for stock/barrel pressure points, etc.

They're a testing tool, and are not meant for sighting in a gun for hunting. Unless you plan to carry it, and the bench, into the field with you.

I'll go ahead and be the a****le here: If you need a 'lead-sled' type of rest to sight in your hunting gun, you're probably using too much gun. Testing? Sure. But sighting in? Nope.

• Like 2

This is somewhat funny. 95 percent of the deer I have killed with a gun were off hand. Should I sight in off hand? For some reason, I don't think that would yield the best result. Same reason people use a bench and bags even though that also can alter poi with different pressure on the stock. Maybe if was shooting 500-600 yds out west it would matter.

The longest shot I have ever taken on a deer was 240ish yards. I did kill the deer but that just isn't my style of hunting. I like up close and personal, not sniping. Probably why I much prefer bow hunting. All I can say is that I don't have any problems killing deer with any of the guns I have sighted in using the sled at least at the distances I shoot deer. Too each his own.

• Like 3

This is somewhat funny. 95 percent of the deer I have killed with a gun were off hand. Should I sight in off hand? For some reason, I don't think that would yield the best result. Same reason people use a bench and bags even though that also can alter poi with different pressure on the stock. Maybe if was shooting 500-600 yds out west it would matter.

The longest shot I have ever taken on a deer was 240ish yards. I did kill the deer but that just isn't my style of hunting. I like up close and personal, not sniping. Probably why I much prefer bow hunting. All I can say is that I don't have any problems killing deer with any of the guns I have sighted in using the sled at least at the distances I shoot deer. Too each his own.

Same I want to know where it hits with a perfectly steady rest at long distances, then like I said, I shoot off a book bag or my knee which is a typical hunting situation out west. Never had issues with the gun shooting differently unless I pull it. Of course my groups aren't as close off my knee or book bag as with a lead sled, but that's human error and may be because of the amount of drinks I had the night before.

Of course I don't bring a sled out west. I shoot off a bench with bags to make sure nothing got jarred. I don't hunt in rifle county in NY so I got years without shooting a rifle. With a shotgun it's a quick few shots sitting down off my knee at 100yds just to make sure nothing changed before the season

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

+1

Well said.

To each there own. Dead deer are dead deer.

• Like 2

Ok , I have a few shooters rests and not a Lead sled. Is there any truth to optics getting messed up or stocks cracking as the lead sled doesn't allow for any give ?

My friends Encore stock got "compacted". TC replaced it but told him to make sure there's some give when you use a lead sled

I like both types of hunting. Squirrels and cottontails at 125 yards with the .17, and whitetail deer at 10 feet with a shotgun.

In both cases the sight-in is done from sandbags on a bench. That is the stability you look for when you're hunting. We never quite get it, but it's what we strive for. Captured-gun and return-to-battery rests aren't realistic goals for a hunter.