Finally pulled the trigger on a "pocket" gun

Well I have been wanting a "pocket" gun for several years. Problem was the pistols I loved were not really pocket guns and neither is my full frame 9mm. I really liked the Sig P238 but it was just a hair to big but I loved the way it shot. I have fired a Ruger LCP .380 but I hated it the way it shot. I have been looking at the S&W Body Guard and have been hoping to fire one at some point but I never got the chance. After looking at and holding and reading about the Body Guard I pulled the trigger on it yesterday. I am not expecting it to be a great shooter but if is ever needed, it will be better than having nothing. First, I was just going to get the one without the lazer...then while they were doing the paperwork I was afraid I would regret it and asked if they could change it to the one with the lazer which will probably be useless but I didn't want to regret not having it. Just waiting for my amendment in the mail. Should have it next week.

• Like 2

The laser is pretty neat, but I was surprised at the amount of adjustment it took. I'm not the best shot with handguns for some reason, which didn't help shorten that process. I do think the trigger pull on it is kind of "clunky."

Edited by phade

I helped a neighbor set up the laser on his Bodyguard a couple years ago. It's nice to be able to hit something when it's too dark to see even the gun, let alone the sights. It was pitch black on my range when we finished and 4" groups at 12' were still pretty normal. I was impressed.

The laser is fussy to set up, but it can be done. It's a point-and-shoot gun to begin with, and it's almost silly to even put sights on it.

The Body Guard is a good pistol. Im not a fan of lasers, especially in a little up close and personal gun like that, but thats me.

Yea, I originally got the one with out the laser...then I decided if the laser was there I don't have to use it but if I decided I wanted it, it would be to late. The pistol still has sites on it....

How incredibly thoughtful of you to blame the gun , i believe it was my skill set limitations with such a small gun . 

The reason I asked was because in the early 90's there was a run of stainless PPK's that were full of problems. Failure to feed, failure to eject…..etc… Other than those, the PPK has always been an excellent reliable pistol. I have one (blued) that I bought in 1986. It is the most reliable pistol I have ever owned. Not one single issue after approx. 1500 rounds of all types of ammo.

• Like 1

Well I have been wanting a "pocket" gun for several years. Problem was the pistols I loved were not really pocket guns and neither is my full frame 9mm. I really liked the Sig P238 but it was just a hair to big but I loved the way it shot. I have fired a Ruger LCP .380 but I hated it the way it shot. I have been looking at the S&W Body Guard and have been hoping to fire one at some point but I never got the chance. After looking at and holding and reading about the Body Guard I pulled the trigger on it yesterday. I am not expecting it to be a great shooter but if is ever needed, it will be better than having nothing. First, I was just going to get the one without the lazer...then while they were doing the paperwork I was afraid I would regret it and asked if they could change it to the one with the lazer which will probably be useless but I didn't want to regret not having it. Just waiting for my amendment in the mail. Should have it next week.

I'm just going to assume it's a .380 and not a .38

Either way, congrats and enjoy!

I love pocket guns.  I've got a few .38's, including a 342, 642 and 37.  (All S&W of course)  My next smallest is a S&W Shield in 9mm.........that's w inner too but a smidge too big for the FRONT pocket. :)

Then there's the Kel Tec P32.......that's the go-to gun when I'm sporting the Speedo.  :O 

• Like 2

I'm just going to assume it's a .380 and not a .38

Either way, congrats and enjoy!

I love pocket guns.  I've got a few .38's, including a 342, 642 and 37.  (All S&W of course)  My next smallest is a S&W Shield in 9mm.........that's w inner too but a smidge too big for the FRONT pocket. :)

Then there's the Kel Tec P32.......that's the go-to gun when I'm sporting the Speedo.  :O

My summer front pocket gun is a Kel Tec P3AT .380 cal.  I don't really need it when I sport the Speedo, at the beach. because when I show up, the beach always empties, for some reason, and Im in a threat free zone…..

• Like 1

Bodyguard is a good gun , a locked breach is rare on small guns, thats a nice plus .

I'm not a laser fan either shot a few , some Kahr's ,an air weight SW , sub compact Glock.

I guess I'm just old school and can't adapt to them , I spent more time watching that dot bob around than it takes me to fire half a mag with open sights .( and hit )

I really wanted to like them too .

There's a lot I like about the Tomcat , ( I have one) the grip for sure , the extra round over my LCP . I'd like to give it to our youngest , who has her permit, but the da/sa , no hammer drop safety , half cock ,and the 4 levers and buttons seams a bit much for a newbie .

But with that long heavy trigger pull you really gotta mean for it to fire .

I also have the bodyguard. It is quite hard to be accurate with it but it is nearly unnoticeable when carrying it. I'm a bigger guy, so holding comfortably is a chore. My hand swallows up the gun. The more and more I shoot it the more I feel comfortable with it. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ApexerER congrats on your new S&W I hope it works out well for you. I had a heck of a time finding something I liked and could stay with.

Over the years I have tried out a bunch of small cc revolvers and pistols looking for the ideal gun, I first went with some rimfires with the thought that they would be easy to shoot and cheap to practice with.

I started with a S&W 34 snub nose kit gun, really had no complaints, top quality, 100% function, reasonably good accuracy.

I then got my hands on a Budischowsky TP 70 22 LR, a sort of US copy of the Walther tph, liked the concept but it was totally unreliable.

An S&W 422 sportsman, small, reliable and decent accuracy.  I kept the sportsman and sent the other two down the road.

I then upped the power and picked up a nice older Walther PPK in 32 acp, very nice, functioned perfect and accurate. I know James Bond and his secret service thought well of the 32 acp but I did not care for it at all. Very limited in ammo and pretty weak as far as I am concerned. Had it been chambered in 380 acp I would probably still have it, so in the end  that went down the road.

Decided to up the power more and gave a 2 3/4 inch 357 Colt Python a try out, beautiful craftsmanship, accurate, powerful and loud, but very heavy and pretty hard to comfortably conceal. I sent the Colt packing.

After all the auditions I think for me I finally found what I wanted, the Sig p938, small size and easy to conceal power, reliability and good accuracy and most of all a single action. To make it right for me I did change out the trigger and hammer spring to get the pull the way I wanted it.

Mutt and Jeff

002_zpsgawozg2n.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2