What's your dream rifle?

I say go for it, if you have a dream rifle and you can swing it why the heck not. The 375 H&H is a great caliber and can be reloaded down with a 235 gr bullet designed for smaller game so it can be usable for both Deer and Bear.

The Ruger Number 1 is a beautiful classic rifle, I have one myself in 222 Mag and love it.

Al

I say go for it, if you have a dream rifle and you can swing it why the heck not. The 375 H&H is a great caliber and can be reloaded down with a 235 gr bullet designed for smaller game so it can be usable for both Deer and Bear.

The Ruger Number 1 is a beautiful classic rifle, I have one myself in 222 Mag and love it.

Al

Al

When I come home with it I'm going to say Airedale said it was ok lol. I think I will I just keep trying to find reasons not to. I don't think I'll make it through the summer though.

Geechee born and Geechee bred

I've been eyeing a Ruger No. 1 in 375 h&h for a while now and the itch is becoming unbearable. I have no practical need for one since Africa might not ever be in my budget but it's so damn sexy.

No reason to need a 375HH for Africa to have one.....

I shoot chucks' with mine and occasionally carry it for deer. (I'll get flamed for saying I shoot red squirrels with it too, good trigger time, just sayin').

Shot a bunch of stuff in Africa too, but that's just a bonus.

• Like 1

A semi automatic rifle, with a detachable magazine, and a pistol grip with a flash suppressor. LOL!!

But seriously,, a vintage Winchester model 70 in any classic deer calibre. I had a later production 70 in 7mm-08 that I sold. Still sad over it.

• Like 2

A semi automatic rifle, with a detachable magazine, and a pistol grip with a flash suppressor. LOL!!

But seriously,, a vintage Winchester model 70 in any classic deer calibre. I had a later production 70 in 7mm-08 that I sold. Still sad over it.

I was looking at those too. Very nice looking rifles.

They definitely are a good looking gun.  A neighbor had one in .458 Win Magnum that he let me fire once and the recoil was surprisingly manageable.  No doubt it's heavy weight helped a lot with that.  If I ever did buy one, that's the caliber I would go with.  If you are going to go big, why not go all the way?    

All of my non-muzzleloading rifles are Rugers now, and my next one will likely be an American in .243 caliber.  That will only happen if one or both of my daughters develops an interest in deer hunting over the next few years.   They are not quite old enough yet, but they sure like eating venison and it would be great if they would help out a bit with filling the freezer and not just emptying it.   I can only dream of that day now however.  Until then I will just keep doing what I can with my old M77 30/06.     

post-5805-0-56547600-1458440099_thumb.jp

• Like 5

A custom bolt action ( Model 70 or Mauser),  deep blued metal  in a real pretty classic style walnut stock  with simple and functional  checkering.  No recoil pad.....22" barrel.....Chambered  in .280 Rem, 7 x 64 ,  7 x 57 or 8 x 57  weighing about 8 pounds scoped...

• Like 1

They definitely are a good looking gun.  A neighbor had one in .458 Win Magnum that he let me fire once and the recoil was surprisingly manageable.  No doubt it's heavy weight helped a lot with that.  If I ever did buy one, that's the caliber I would go with.  If you are going to go big, why not go all the way?    

All of my non-muzzleloading rifles are Rugers now, and my next one will likely be an American in .243 caliber.  That will only happen if one or both of my daughters develops an interest in deer hunting over the next few years.   They are not quite old enough yet, but they sure like eating venison and it would be great if they would help out a bit with filling the freezer and not just emptying it.   I can only dream of that day now however.  Until then I will just keep doing what I can with my old M77 30/06.     

Great picture wolc123........... :good:

A custom bolt action ( Model 70 or Mauser),  deep blued metal  in a real pretty classic style walnut stock  with simple and functional  checkering.  No recoil pad.....22" barrel.....Chambered  in .280 Rem, 7 x 64 ,  7 x 57 or 8 x 57  weighing about 8 pounds scoped...

Still available and under $2,000..............................

IMG_7232_zpssthqaap5.jpg

You know how to get in touch with me................. :)

• Like 2

I'd love to own it, Larry, but it ain't my dream gun...Don't care for the monte carlo, the high gloss polyurethane looking finish, the overly busy checkering or the extended, white lined pistol grip cap....

Maybe Biz will buy it...All you have to do is convince him that it is a Weatherby...<<grin>>...

• Like 1

na na. My guns louder than your gun If I'm not mistaken range about the same though

I know it's a "dream" rifle but I'm also trying to be reasonable. I would like to keep my shoulder where they are and my collar bone in one piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I know it's a "dream" rifle but I'm also trying to be reasonable. I would like to keep my shoulder where they are and my collar bone in one piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if I could afford a Barret 50 I could afford someone to shoot it for me lol Either that or one really thick limb saver
  • Like 1

A Barret 50 is definitely on the list as one of my next guns. And by next I'm talking within next 10 years. Biggest issue will be finding a range to shoot that large a bore at.

You Can't Beat My Meat!

Edited by The Jerkman
  • Like 3

I am an addicted rimfire fan and shooter and at the Syracuse Gun Show a few years ago there was a fellow with some Cooper Rifles. He had a Cooper Bolt Action Western Classic 22 LR that was so pretty it would bring tears to your eyes.

That rifle had every custom touch there is to be had on it. The wood grain the best, the checkering the best, case coloured action and matching rings, octagon barrel, skeleton checkered buttplate, inletted sling studs and on and on along with a test target, one hole at fifty yards.

wm_7682566_zpsmkjy5ezq.jpg

I actually have had dreams about that one. :heat:

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

I have 2 M98 actions on the shelf for my last 2 "dream rifles".

Action #1 on my shelf:

1939 vintage Oberndorf M98K action. The best of the best when metallurgy, fit & finish are the priorities. 26" barrel chambered in 8X68S turned form a 29" Iranian Mauser barrel (in hand) from the same era. Again the best of the best in that configuration. 1904 Portuguese bottom metal W/a straddle floorplate. (in hand) The magazine box will be lengthened to 3.525" length & widened for the proper 60* stack of the 8X68S cartridges. Topped W/my 3-9X42 Kales scope. Timney Sportsman trigger, Dakota 3-pos M70 wing type safety. Classic "Express rifle" Bastonge Walnut stock W/ebony fore-end tip & grip cap, 1" Pachmayr Decelerator pad.

Classic heavy "African plains game" rifle that will be capable of shooting 180gr bullets @ 3250fps, 200gr Hotcores @ 3150fps for medium game & 250gr Weldcores/solids @ 2700fps for anything up to Cape Biuffalo.

Action #2 on my shelf:

1910 Mexican Mauser (FN Manufacture) small ring, small thread shank M98 action. Again, the best of the best in that configuration. Bottom metal will have a modified (military) sliding hinge floorplate W/push-button release. 24" barrel in a lightweight contour chambered in 6.5X55 & turned from the #2 contour blank 6.5mm barrel that I already have. Timney Sportsman trigger, Dakota 3-pos M70 wing type safety. Slim Claro walnut Monte Carlo stock W'short fore-end for high scope mounting to allow maximum + or - 3" PBR. Ebony fore-end tip & grip cap,  1" Pachmayr Decelerator pad. Topped off by a Leupold 3-9X33 ultra-light scope.

Lightweight Prairie/mountain rifle shooting 129gr Nosler Accubond LR bullets @ 3100fps for + or - 3" PBR out to 325yds & "hold on hair" for medium game out to 400yds.

Those 2 will complete the opposite ends of my all metric Mauser rifle battary:

6.5X55

7X57

8X57IS

8mm-06 Ackley Improved 

8X68S

All good company for Dad's 30/40 Krag, an ideal woods rifle for deer & Black Bear.

I have recently been motivated to get these done while I'n still able. My son better learn to reload as none of these have ammo sitting on every local Walmart or gun shop shelf.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 3