Wolves kill 7 percent of elk in western state Wyoming

hunterman7956

In what appears to be a case of "sport killing," a pack of wolves slaughtered a herd of elk in one night, Wyoming wildlife officials said Friday.

Nineteen elk, mostly calves, were found dead several days ago at a feeding ground near Bondurant, a town southeast of Jackson, said John Lund of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. A contractor delivering feed to the herd discovered the dead animals.
Lund said wildlife officials are concerned because wolves usually eat what they kill or come back later to feed.
"It appears to be sport killing," he said. The pack suspected of killing the elks has nine wolves, he added.
There are about 1,100 elk in the area, he said, and about 7% of the population has been lost to wolves this winter.
"There is a significant concern among wildlife managers," he said, noting that there are no reports of wolves attacking humans. "Our concern is big game."
But there's nothing the state agency can do, he said. Wolves are federally protected and managed.
In 2012, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service planned to take wolves off the endangered list and turn over management of the animals to Wyoming, according to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department website. That would have allowed state-regulated hunting of wolves.
But a federal judge ruled in 2014 that wolves remain under federal control and be relisted as an endangered species.
The federal agency could kill wolves that are attacking livestock but not wildlife, said Mike Jiminez, the wildlife service's Northern Rocky Mountain Wolf coordinator, according to the Casper Star Tribune.
Wolves, once nearly extinct, were reintroduced into Yellowstone National Park in the mid-1990s, according to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department website. The number of wolves grew and spread across the region.In what appears to be a case of "sport killing," a pack of wolves slaughtered a herd of elk in one night, Wyoming wildlife officials said Friday.
Nineteen elk, mostly calves, were found dead several days ago at a feeding ground near Bondurant, a town southeast of Jackson, said John Lund of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. A contractor delivering feed to the herd discovered the dead animals.
Lund said wildlife officials are concerned because wolves usually eat what they kill or come back later to feed.
"It appears to be sport killing," he said. The pack suspected of killing the elks has nine wolves, he added.
There are about 1,100 elk in the area, he said, and about 7% of the population has been lost to wolves this winter.
"There is a significant concern among wildlife managers," he said, noting that there are no reports of wolves attacking humans. "Our concern is big game."
But there's nothing the state agency can do, he said. Wolves are federally protected and managed.
In 2012, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service planned to take wolves off the endangered list and turn over management of the animals to Wyoming, according to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department website. That would have allowed state-regulated hunting of wolves.
But a federal judge ruled in 2014 that wolves remain under federal control and be relisted as an endangered species.
The federal agency could kill wolves that are attacking livestock but not wildlife, said Mike Jiminez, the wildlife service's Northern Rocky Mountain Wolf coordinator, according to the Casper Star Tribune.
Wolves, once nearly extinct, were reintroduced into Yellowstone National Park in the mid-1990s, according to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department website. The number of wolves grew and spread across the region.

• Like 1

Predators have their place and conservation should be more incorporated with anyone's appreciation and understanding of the outdoors.

What percentage of our whitetail population gets killed by coyotes? Whether it's sport killing or not the predator prey cycle is a viscous one. At least the dec says they have no negligible impact?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you want a debate about predators, the carrying capacity of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, the unnatural situation that created this opportunity for wolves, and wolves in general, posting such propaganda is not helpful. WY government has a negative attitude towards wolves. However, it is disturbing that a WY wildlife official will anthropomorphize them to affect public sentiment. Predators kill. It is not "sport". It is deadly serious. They kill more than they can eat because food is not always available. Kill a bunch and you have food for a long while. A carcass is an ephemeral thing. A whole range of scavengers will strip it in a short time. I've seen adult deer carcasses stripped by just ravens in several hours.

The "mostly calves" comment is over the top. According to the RMEF "Calf:  Baby elk". Those "calves" are a couple hundred pounds in March, not babies.

The area where they feed elk at Jackson is a man-made disaster, an elk zoo. The spokesman is "concerned" about the wolves behavior but apparently not so much for unnatural concentration that created this situation. The reason the elk are stuck there and must be fed hay is because humans blocked their migration route. The elk are effectively confined in the valley, where they depend on humans to bring hay. If elk could migrate, they would be spread out across the landscape.

• Like 5

His title was better than mine :-/

OK. LOL.

I don't get this one at all. Not from a numbers thing or a physics thing, I am not saying this couldn't happen, but man, the variables are high against it.

They claim a single pack of 9 wolves killed 19 elk in one night. A herd of elk is what, 6 to 35 in most cases? Some herds being larger. So, these 9 wolves, hit a herd of...lets call it 20 elk. 9 wolves would get what, maybe 2 or 3? The rest of the herd that got away will be miles from the original hunt. So these 9 wolves would have to then have to catch up, stalk and attack a now spooked herd, to maybe get another 2 or 3? Then repeat. To maybe at best, get 9 or 10.

Now we have to look at the hunts. Elk don't just stand there and let a predator kill them off. They run. They keep running when chased. So reasoning would say that the kill spots would be spread over a few miles ( if not more ).

Here's the huge thing that made me think this doesn't really seem cohesive. Of all the articles, there's no pics of the 'actual' kill spots. Just one pic of all the elk lines up in a row, did they decide to get all the dead elk from miles around and line 'em up.

I am no expert, but this seems off to me.

Another funny this was this:

http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2012/09/04/wyoming-elk-herds-have-grown-too-large/

That was in 2012. Seems there might be a rift in how some view it. Conflict of interest so to speak.

Rob I just seen a pack of coyotes out back! I couldn't believe they were just standing there. I'm looking getting all exciting and trying to keep dog calm. Lol turns out just hairy 7 deer.

I need glasses. Haha

You hitting the Genny tonight? LOL

There were once wolves in NY too. I can't wait until they reintroduce them here. I can't see anyone arguing they aren't "needed" here too.

(That's sarcasm for the duller intellects)

DEC has plans to introduce wolves to control the mountain lion population which was introduced to control the coyote. They then have Velociraptor's from Jurrasic Park #4 in line to control the wolves. From there they'll utilize Chuck Norris These are all long term plans I saw in the Enquirer I saw in line at Wegmans
  • Like 2

Pretty sure you got that wrong.

The grand pooba, Jeremy Hurst, stated a few tales including that coyotes have a negligible impact in most areas of the state on deer numbers with regard to decline at last weeks deer talk. Thought you were there....

The grand pooba, Jeremy Hurst, stated a few tales including that coyotes have a negligible impact in most areas of the state on deer numbers with regard to decline at last weeks deer talk. Thought you were there....

Was. Heard what you just wrote. But not what you wrote before. Last post was "no negligible impact". That means there is an impact. Double negative. Just did t want you misunderstood.

Was. Heard what you just wrote. But not what you wrote before. Last post was "no negligible impact". That means there is an impact. Double negative. Just did t want you misunderstood.

Got it& sorry about that. Glad we are on the same page.

You're right on the double native too- between autocorrect and emotion my posts have been weak for grammar and translation lately. I need an editor. Lol

In what appears to be a case of "sport killing," a pack of wolves slaughtered a herd of elk in one night.

I have witnessed this kind of behavior before as a kid. We had sheep, and a pack of dogs (close relative of the wolf) had quite the time running through the township, visiting each of the sheep producers and engaging in an activity that could only be described as "thrill killing". There was no indication of them eating any of them as they went from one to another doing enough damage to kill them. No these were not wolves, but they are the same biological family of canidae. So when people use this same kind of terminology that was used in this article, I have no reason to be critical. I know that "sport killing" is a potential mind-set among this genetic family of predators. I have seen the same thing with dogs vs. deer. No intention to eat the prey, just the thrill of the kill. It is a "pack-thing".

I have witnessed this kind of behavior before as a kid. We had sheep, and a pack of dogs (close relative of the wolf) had quite the time running through the township, visiting each of the sheep producers and engaging in an activity that could only be described as "thrill killing". There was no indication of them eating any of them as they went from one to another doing enough damage to kill them. No these were not wolves, but they are the same biological family of canidae. So when people use this same kind of terminology that was used in this article, I have no reason to be critical. I know that "sport killing" is a potential mind-set among this genetic family of predators. I have seen the same thing with dogs vs. deer. No intention to eat the prey, just the thrill of the kill. It is a "pack-thing".

Anthropomorphizing is common among the public and hunters. When a wildlife professional does it in a statement to the press, he is behaving unprofessionally. I have no doubt that someone in WY government decided to present this in a way that would generate more negativity towards wolves. A real professional would have objected to making such a statement. Maybe a professional in that department did and they got someone else to do it. I am sure there are some ethical people who work for the State of Wyoming. 

Feral or even pet dogs running in a pack, killing livestock, is MUCH different than the behavior of wild wolves.

Folks thinking that thousands of years of domestication doesn't change much when it comes to dogs, do a great disservice to both dogs and wolves.

• Like 1

Sounds like an unnatural concentration where food was needed to be deliverd to keep herd alive .. so wolves kill the weAK in this case the young of the year that were probably kept off the food by the mature animals making them even weaker.. and wolves capitalized on it and prolly would of come back to scavenge them for weeks.. I have no problem with this except they seem to have taken the kills away from the wolves so they will have to kill even more to survive rather than eat what was already killed..

• Like 1

Sounds like an unnatural concentration where food was needed to be deliverd to keep herd alive .. so wolves kill the weAK in this case the young of the year that were probably kept off the food by the mature animals making them even weaker.. and wolves capitalized on it and prolly would of come back to scavenge them for weeks.. I have no problem with this except they seem to have taken the kills away from the wolves so they will have to kill even more to survive rather than eat what was already killed..

Yes, and yes. Unnatural is an understatement. Anyone who has traveled into Grand Teton from Jackson has seen the fences that confine the elk on three sides.