Trout opener Friday.

Skillet

Heading to camp to fish Naples creek Friday - Sunday. A few guys are going to come down, like every year. I'm afraid it'll end up a bust. The fish ran early this year. I was seeing lots of them way upstream the first week of March. I only saw a few last week. On top of that, it's supposed to rain Thursday and Friday. The creek might be muddy. Not holding my breath. Anybody else going down there, or anywhere?

My uncle asked if I wanted to hit ASP Friday before I have to work so will probably do that....

Naples shocked last week video I saw looked like the Trout still in? I used to fish the derby every year as a kid fun times....actually fell in right in front of bridge by Dec with 100 people watching...made alot of people laugh

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

They stock one of our local creeks every year and it seems it rains for multiple days in a row just before opening day. Blowing those fish out. I mean every year. 3 days of rain forecast starting tomorrow . . I may try and sneak out in the morning before the creek rises. A few for the grill. I always catch and release most everything but these fish won't and don't hold over well anyhow.

May try to get out Saturday but rain is forecasted here so we will see what happens. Nanticoke creek is what gets stocked here and little to no holdovers year after year. Hit it early if it isn't crowded.

Have a weekend trip planned again this year for the PA opener on the 16th. Nothing like fishing the crystal clear mountain waters in PA. Good luck to all who venture out, wherever you are headed.

Heading to camp to fish Naples creek Friday - Sunday. A few guys are going to come down, like every year. I'm afraid it'll end up a bust. The fish ran early this year. I was seeing lots of them way upstream the first week of March. I only saw a few last week. On top of that, it's supposed to rain Thursday and Friday. The creek might be muddy. Not holding my breath. Anybody else going down there, or anywhere?

3/26 we were in the southern tier and drove a good section of Catherine creek one of the big trout streams in the state. The creek was extremely low for this time of year I suspect due to lack of snow melt.

I doubt Naples will be in in much better shape. Might have to fish the holes and hope for the best. If you go good luck!

• Like 1

I'll probably be out Friday morning fishing the little buffalo in lancaster. But with this rain like everyone has said good chance most of the stockers will be pushed down stream.

that's where I'll be headed if I go. Did they stock it on Bowen rd where the Little Buffalo and Cayuga meet again this year ? I live maybe a half mile from there. Been looking for stocking trucks but haven't seen any.

I am planning to fish a couple of tributaries of the Cohocton River near Avoca.  The main river is  open to fishing year round, but the tribs  open April 1st.  These small streams are not stocked, and the trout are either wild fish or holdovers that were stocked in the main river and ascended the creeks..

Stream conditions right now are low and clear, making fishing challenging on these small creeks, but I'm hoping we get enough enough rain to raise the levels and color the water a bit.  I have taken numerous 16 " to 22" browns from these obscure small waters, and often I don't even see another fisherman or a boot track.  Most fishermen prefer to fish the main river, which is heavily stocked.  I seldom keep a trout, unless it is hooked deeply enough so that I feel it won't survive.  My best trout last year was a gorgeous 21" brown .

• Like 1

The_Real_TCIII, on 31 Mar 2016 - 3:32 PM, said:

I'd rather have poop in my hair than fish the opener but you guys have fun! Post pics

I'd rather do the same than fish elbow to elbow...Combat fishing is not my thing, although I DO tolerate it for the PA opener, mostly because it's a tradition with a couple of my buddies..

However, tomorrow I'll be fishing in soltitude, for some big beautiful brown trout....

double check that. Pretty sure they moved stocking to Bowen at bridge by Como Park entrance. I may be wrong , it's happened before.

I checked the dec site, very vague, they stock 5 miles of the little buffalo from William to elma. It also said they put 3000 rainbows in Cayuga creek in Como park. If I get no action on William I'll move to Como park probably.

I plan on going next Friday, that's when they stock where I fish, hopefully the rain they'll calling for will not happen. planning on having boat in water for some crappie fishing the  third weekend of April, after this living nightmare that is tax season is nothing but a hate-filled, miserable memory. (PS here's a PSA for those with kids deciding upon a college major, avoid accounting, it is the most mind-numbing job I have ever taken)

Uptown Redneck, on 31 Mar 2016 - 5:10 PM, said:

I plan on going next Friday, that's when they stock where I fish, hopefully the rain they'll calling for will not happen. planning on having boat in water for some crappie fishing the  third weekend of April, after this living nightmare that is tax season is nothing but a hate-filled, miserable memory. (PS here's a PSA for those with kids deciding upon a college major, avoid accounting, it is the most mind-numbing job I have ever taken)

Glad to hear that you LOVE your job....<<grin>>...

Got snookered into working this morning so I'm out. Drove past Little Buffalo creek on Bowen rd. 1 car parked nearby but could be park walker. Creek up a little but fishable.

Good luck to all who make it out today. Wear your elbow pads for combat fishing and "keep the crap out of your hair". Looking forward to pics

Edited by turkeyfeathers