Anti xbow question

stoneam2006

There are a whole bunch of rifle and shotgun hunters who WANT to force themselves into bow season also. Should they too be allowed into bow season simply because they want to? Should that be their choice?

Completly different...many of us WANT to shoot a deer with a arrow off a string during archery season....it's just horizontal instead of vertical

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Completly different...many of us WANT to shoot a deer with a arrow off a string during archery season....it's just horizontal instead of vertical

Thats not the only difference

Thats not the only difference

you can argue all you want....not gonna change that thought pattern. I'll be honest, you wanna know why I broke out the crossbow last year? because it was so much easier then trying to kill a deer with my compound.....plain and simple.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 5

you can argue all you want....not gonna change that thought pattern. I'll be honest, you wanna know why I broke out the crossbow last year? because it was so much easier then trying to kill a deer with my compound.....plain and simple.

Thats it in a nut shell...

• Like 2

"As long as we stay within the law" I don't think those choices are. And again, I respect "your choice" to hunt with whatever you like, however you like. As long as it's legal, it's all good!

And for decades crossbows have been illegal. So our "government" gets to decide right? Now we're talking big bore air guns, when does the push for head shot .22's begin? DEC wants more deer dead, but those deer are in the burbs in areas where nobody can legally hunt.

I've seen that with guns, too & I know guys who've gone out with their compounds that were nowhere near ready. You can't fix stupid.

The guy not ready with his compound is apt to not hit the broad side of a barn. The gun and crossbow guy is more likely to wound.

Fact is, the crossbow introduces many new hunters to the archery world, which I will admit is positive, but there's no debate that there'll be a steep increase in clowns entering the archery woods. We have all seen it during gun.

Huh, that's odd.  I've never seen a clown in the woods in all my years hunting with a gun.  I've seen lots of people who were trying to get into the sport and didn't have anyone to teach them the proper way to do it.  I guess when I choose to talk to them and try to help them learn they must decide to not break out the red nose or oversized shoes (I've also made some good friends that way).  That, or I'm not quite as judgmental as some hunters and understand that not everyone has had the experience I have hunting and being in the woods in general.  Definitely has to be one or the other. 

What I have seen a bunch of is arrogant compound bow hunters who think their choice of a compound bow somehow makes them superior to other hunters.  Not all people who hunt with compounds are like that, but it seems like they are drawn to compounds. You know the type, the ones who tell other hunters that their choice of hunting implement is somehow sub par compared to their obviously more sporting compound bow.  Generally the same types who will berate other hunters for taking anything other than a trophy buck and talk down to other hunters about how they tend to hunt in general.  What is ironic is that when it comes to the bow hunters, the traditional guys tend to be far less full of themselves and actually more accepting of other hunters compared to the guys who choose to hunt with compounds. 

IF full inclusion happens, I'll probably hunt with my Xbow.  Why? Because I already have one that I bought for gator hunting that I can use.  If inclusion doesn't happen, I'll probably pick up a compound for the wife and I'll get my recurve strung back up.  I might even pick up a compound for myself.  But what I will never do is tell someone else that I want to hold back an expansion of hunting privileges.  You want to hunt dove?  I personally probably wont, but why would I fight against it if it expands hunting opportunities'.  Want to hunt with an air rifle?  If you have a compelling case that you can present to the DEC about the ability of an air rifle to cleanly make the kill that they will believe then have at it. 

Nobody is taking away hunting rights by having full inclusion.  As far as I'm concerned, if compound hunters want to fight inclusion then they should switch to longbow or recurve and actually use the implement the season was originally intended for.  Otherwise, you come off as kind of a hypocrite since a compound bow is closer to a crossbow than it is to a traditional bow. 

• Like 1

Here are my thoughts on why I don't exactly agree with full inclusion of xbows:

- In talking to some guys that have xbows, it seems to be common acceptance that they think they can kill deer out to 90-100 yards with one. They watched some youtube videos of guys hitting targets that far and think they're going to do the same when they hunt.

- With a xbow, no need to worry about drawing back...just point aim and shoot. I can think of a couple different instances that I ended up not getting a shot on nice bucks bc I didn't have the opportunity to draw. But to me, that's part of the challenge of bow and one of the thing that separates us from the gun crowd.

- During bow season, the deer do things more on their terms. It gives us the chance to scout, change plans, readjust, do what needs to be done to get close to the deer and make that shot when it's time. We have the opportunity to make more of the changes we want to achieve our success. During gun season I feel like I'm just sitting around just waiting for a deer to get pushed to me, just doesn't feel as much like hunting to me. Maybe it's my paranoia but I just think of the "orange army" all coming out with their xbows, neglecting the wind, stomping around the woods, pushing deer, trespassing, etc... which is what I hate about gun season the most. It's mayhem out there and I hope one day bow season doesn't turn into the same.

I can guarantee a handful of you pro-xbow guys are going to jump down my throat too but at least let me say this. Without xbow inclusion, I am fully for hunters with handicaps or the ones who are getting older and can't draw the bow anymore to be able to go out with a xbow and still hunt. I'm also hoping like mentioned above that the course they have to take will help to eliminate some of these things. I haven't read the rules on it bc I have no desire to xbow hunt but last I knew, I thought you didn't have to take a course to hunt w xbow? I'm actually pretty confident that a bow course for xbow guys would help to eliminate some concerns.

Either way, if it's legal they can do it and it's not up to me to tell someone they can't. Do I have to like it? nope. Am I going to lose sleep over it? lol hardly.

How so???

Lets compare the three:

Traditional:

You draw back and must hold all of the weight.

You shoot with your fingers.

150-200 fps

Compound:

You draw back and the weight drastically lets off so that you can hold drawn.

You use a mechanical release.

300-350 fps

Xbow:

You draw back and all of the weight is let off.

300-350 fps

• Like 1

Yep...so is a compound over trad....rifle over shotty....shotty over muzzle loader....In line over side lock and all over spear....it's called technology all ND advancment

Xbow:

300-350 fps

I think the xbow is in a league of its own. the traditional bows and compound bows both need the same mechanics to achieve the shot. Yes the compound is faster and you get let-off, but they are much more the "same".

The xbow you draw or crank back and lock it in. no need to draw for the shot, and we all know even with let-off it doesn't take long to get tired with a compound. Also, you can call it a mechanical release on the xbow to be technical but I still call it a trigger. the xbow gets shot like a gun. The only thing I compare the xbow to the other bows is that it shoots an arrow-type projectile and the range is short.

Edited by Chris B
  • Like 5

I think the xbow is in a league of its own. the traditional bows and compound bows both need the same mechanics to achieve the shot. Yes the compound is faster and you get let-off, but they are much more the "same".

The xbow you draw or crank back and lock it in. no need to draw for the shot, and we all know even with let-off it doesn't take long to get tired with a compound. Also, you can call it a mechanical release to be technical but I still call it a trigger. It gets shot like a gun. The only thing I compare it to the other bows is that it shoots an arrow-type projectile and the range is short.

That's first logical answer I have read....thanks

• Like 1

The question really is at what point is the line drawn against technically advanced hunting implements being used in "special seasons" that were originated and supposed to be for primitive weapons?

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

The question really is at what point is the line drawn against technically advanced hunting implements being used in "special seasons" that were originated and supposed to be for primitive weapons?

Al

good question....but, I think the Genie is already out of the bottle.

I feel exactly the same! 

Here are my thoughts on why I don't exactly agree with full inclusion of xbows:

- In talking to some guys that have xbows, it seems to be common acceptance that they think they can kill deer out to 90-100 yards with one. They watched some youtube videos of guys hitting targets that far and think they're going to do the same when they hunt.

- With a xbow, no need to worry about drawing back...just point aim and shoot. I can think of a couple different instances that I ended up not getting a shot on nice bucks bc I didn't have the opportunity to draw. But to me, that's part of the challenge of bow and one of the thing that separates us from the gun crowd.

- During bow season, the deer do things more on their terms. It gives us the chance to scout, change plans, readjust, do what needs to be done to get close to the deer and make that shot when it's time. We have the opportunity to make more of the changes we want to achieve our success. During gun season I feel like I'm just sitting around just waiting for a deer to get pushed to me, just doesn't feel as much like hunting to me. Maybe it's my paranoia but I just think of the "orange army" all coming out with their xbows, neglecting the wind, stomping around the woods, pushing deer, trespassing, etc... which is what I hate about gun season the most. It's mayhem out there and I hope one day bow season doesn't turn into the same.

I can guarantee a handful of you pro-xbow guys are going to jump down my throat too but at least let me say this. Without xbow inclusion, I am fully for hunters with handicaps or the ones who are getting older and can't draw the bow anymore to be able to go out with a xbow and still hunt. I'm also hoping like mentioned above that the course they have to take will help to eliminate some of these things. I haven't read the rules on it bc I have no desire to xbow hunt but last I knew, I thought you didn't have to take a course to hunt w xbow? I'm actually pretty confident that a bow course for xbow guys would help to eliminate some concerns.

Either way, if it's legal they can do it and it's not up to me to tell someone they can't. Do I have to like it? nope. Am I going to lose sleep over it? lol hardly.

For me it is all about the time spent.  While I do not scout like I should(I love scout hunting and not knowing what might be in the area.).  I spend many hours trying to perfect my shooting skills to get an ethical kill.  Endless prepping for the season.  This seems to be a quality many bow hunters have, not all but many.  This is not something I typically see from gun hunters and the new crossbow hunters. 

Do I really care if full inclusion happens, no not really.  Do I think it will have any effect on my hunting, not in the least.  Crossbow hunters just like many gun hunters are lazy and will probably give up the sport once they realize that just because they are hunting early season does not mean deer will jump into your lap and that real work is needed to become successful.  And finally they will realize the crossbow is not a gun and that practice is needed to become effective.

• Like 4

Xbow:

300-350 fps

And its fired from the shoulder, while sighting through a scope, in most cases. So I don't see how its close to a compound.

• Like 2

If ANYONE has a right to be PO'ed about where "archery tackle" has infringed on their seasons..... it should be the the fisherman!

How would you guys like it if opening day of bow season fisherman across the state invaded the woods casting barbed corn cobs into every bedding and feeding thicket,lol.

post-233-0-54244200-1459436279_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

How is this for twisted logic, I would actually prefer some hunters to use a crossbow in archery season.

I shoot my recurve at least 5 days a week to remain sufficiently proficient to hunt with it.  I suspect I could shoot a crossbow 5 times per year and be sufficiently proficient to hunt with it, but I like the challenge of the recurve.  For me, a compound falls somewhere in between those levels of practice. Not everyone has the time for, or desires that extra level of challenge in hunting.  Do I want the guy who hasn't spent much time preparing to hunt with a bow to hunt with it?  Nope.  Do I want the hunter to have to sit out that part of the season?  Not really.

I would rather see the hunter who doesn't have the time or desire to dedicate to being proficient with a more difficult weapon use the easier weapon.  Less wounded deer and more people included in this wonderful pastime.  I think all agree its harder to kill a deer with a recurve/longbow than compound and harder with a compound than crossbow.  Who cares.  As long as you are proficient with the weapon you choose, go hunt.  The only reason I would even oppose guns in archery season is because they make too much noise.

One day I may decide I don't have the time to dedicate to remaining proficient with a bow and the crossbow may keep me in the game.  Until then, all of your crossbow hunters, please leave the big bucks for me.  lol

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 6

Crossbow hunters just like many gun hunters are lazy and will probably give up the sport once they realize that just because they are hunting early season does not mean deer will jump into your lap and that real work is needed to become successful.  And finally they will realize the crossbow is not a gun and that practice is needed to become effective.

Some times i just have to shake my head. 

• Like 2

How is this for twisted logic, I would actually prefer some hunters to use a crossbow in archery season.

I shoot my recurve at least 5 days a week to remain sufficiently proficient to hunt with it.  I suspect I could shoot a crossbow 5 times per year and be sufficiently proficient to hunt with it, but I like the challenge of the recurve.  For me, a compound falls somewhere in between those levels of practice. Not everyone has the time for, or desires that extra level of challenge in hunting.  Do I want the guy who hasn't spent much time preparing to hunt with a bow to hunt with it?  Nope.  Do I want the hunter to have to sit out that part of the season?  Not really.

I would rather see the hunter who doesn't have the time or desire to dedicate to being proficient with a more difficult weapon use the easier weapon.  Less wounded deer and more people included in this wonderful pastime.  I think all agree its harder to kill a deer with a recurve/longbow than compound and harder with a compound than crossbow.  Who cares.  As long as you are proficient with the weapon you choose, go hunt.  The only reason I would even oppose guns in archery season is because they make too much noise.

One day I may decide I don't have the time to dedicate to remaining proficient with a bow and the crossbow may keep me in the game.  Until then, all of your crossbow hunters, please leave the big bucks for me.  lol

Well said. Perhaps the best common sense statement made on this thread!