Anti xbow question

stoneam2006

The line is a string that projects a shaft with a point....simple logic

That's a great definition for as long as it stands. But we have seen how easy it is to arbitrarily change equipment definitions in bow seasons.  You are setting up your own definitions, but you have no legal or authoritative standing to set those definitions and as we have seen, even if you did have such standing your definitions would only hold until the next guy comes along with his ideas of what constitutes legitimate equipment in bow seasons. Let's face it, today it is a free-for-all with an "anything goes" mentality. If someone wants your season, they will have it. It's just a matter of time. If muzzleloaders want to get into bow season, it will happen, and no amount of re-adjusting equipment logic or definitions will stop them.

• Like 2

It's all about technology making it just a little easier...

You know, way, way back, somebody came up with another piece of technology that was all about making hunting a little bit easier. It was called a gun. When bow seasons were established, it was done exactly for the opposite reason of making things easier. It was done to up the challenge level. We seem to have finally completely buried that aspect of bow hunting and continue to march along that same path of "making it just a little easier". With that mentality, who really needs some special season? We have finally corrupted the basic reasons for a special bow season to a point where everything is considered legitimate simply on the precept of making things a little easier. And we are able to justify every incremental step using that same phrase. But what is lost now is the fact that bow season was meant to be a reversal of that mentality.

• Like 3

Fasteddie, you shot a crossbow 1x 40 yards . I assume it was off a bench..... hunting with one is a but different if you choose to hunt off the ground, still hunting,ect. My rifle can tack drive at 200 yards off a bench , only took 15 min to sight in, off hand I'm lucky to hit the target at 200 yards. ...

Same will hold true for crossbow. I fell into the ease of shooting it, sighted in off a bench took it out hunting and it's unwieldy Ness cost me a shot a a very nice buck. 99% of all people against it seems have not tried it other than off a bench, or haven't tried it at all. Yes they are accurate if you can hold them steady while keeping the limbs clear of obstructions.

• Like 2

I shot a crossbow once off of a picnic table . Put 3 bolts into a pie plate at 40 yards . 

With a gun , I shoot most anything beyond 100 yards using a bi-pod except for my 223 which is barrel heavy and shoot with a bi-pod beyond 50 yards .With that in mind , why would I want to shoot a crossbow without a bi-pod or treestand rail !  Actually it will be a moot point as I don't intend to use one until I get too old to use my compound .

As for ease of drawing the string back on a crossbow . I shot the PSE TAC-15 and it had the crank draw mechanism . 

I shot a crossbow once off of a picnic table . Put 3 bolts into a pie plate at 40 yards . 

With a gun , I shoot most anything beyond 100 yards using a bi-pod except for my 223 which is barrel heavy and shoot with a bi-pod beyond 50 yards .With that in mind , why would I want to shoot a crossbow without a bi-pod or treestand rail !  Actually it will be a moot point as I don't intend to use one until I get too old to use my compound .

As for ease of drawing the string back on a crossbow . I shot the PSE TAC-15 and it had the crank draw mechanism . 

I have seen you shoot your compound Eddie.  I don't think you will need that crossbow for quite some time, if ever.  Looked to darn easy for you.

I had the same experiance, and obviously you use your experiance to know you need a bipod.. but the argument that it is easy is negated by you showing the need for a rest or bipod. Most people that use a gun may rest against a trunk of a tree , not really that easy with a crossbow, most do not hunt off the ground either, they may have hundreds put into climbing stands, or hang ons. To compare yourself and your knowledge against others is really not comparing apples to apples.I do not understand how someone cannot get a deer or two every year. I personally find it easy. Does that mean I look down on everyone else? No everyone does not have access to the property I do or the time.

Though I understand the give them an inch they take a mile. It is still a bow,has limited range and kills by hemoraging.

• Like 1

Try taking thay tac15 in the woods and target shoot with it from your stands and try it off hand.. 3 shots from a bench does not make one experianced with one.

As for my compound it will be used till I can't draw it anymore myself, but I will say if they legalized spears I would try those as well, anything is another tool to use and master.

So now that we need to make it easier for people to hunt because no has time to spend practicing why not just allow guns.  No point in having a bow season anymore.  I have to contend with people shooting the hell out of the woods anyway so why not let them shoot deer?

Just eliminate seasons and make October 1st opening day for all weapons. 

Otherwise lets get a handgun season in bow season just to trample down the bow hunters some more, those dam elitist!  lol

• Like 3

Just eliminate seasons and make October 1st opening day for all weapons. 

Advocating for all bows to be allowed in bow season is far different than supporting a 1 season all weapons.

But you know that.

• Like 2

The part of this I struggle the most with is why some folks think it is bad to make it easier to kill deer.   I see deer primarily as food, and very good food at that.   If I want a challenge, I will go out on the golf course, or somewhere else where living creatures are not involved, in my desire to "test" myself.  I never understood "catch and release" fishing for the same reason.   How many of you "anti-crossbow" folks practice that? 

The part of this I struggle the most with is why some folks think it is bad to make it easier to kill deer. I see deer primarily as food, and very good food at that. If I want a challenge, I will go out on the golf course, or somewhere else where living creatures are not involved, in my desire to "test" myself. I never understood "catch and release" fishing for the same reason. How many of you "anti-crossbow" folks practice that?

Catch and release is a bad bad analogy....we agree on xbow topic but catch and release is just another outdoor adventure....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edited by stoneam2006
  • Like 1

Bad analogy or not, I still see it as the senseless maiming of a fine food source. I don't mind others doing it however and I respect their right to do so. I even admit to doing it myself a few times with bass in my own pond. I don't mind sharing archery season with those who choose to use traditional equipment or compounds, so long as they put in the additional time and effort required to attain proficiency with those weapons. Like you though, I question their reasoning for not wanting to share the woods with those of us who prefer the crossbow. All I have seen is pure, selfish elitism. Not all that much unlike the pro-bass wanabees or the dry fly trout fisherman who turn up their noses at those of us who prefer to eat our catch.

Fasteddie, you shot a crossbow 1x 40 yards . I assume it was off a bench..... hunting with one is a but different if you choose to hunt off the ground, still hunting,ect. My rifle can tack drive at 200 yards off a bench , only took 15 min to sight in, off hand I'm lucky to hit the target at 200 yards. ...

Same will hold true for crossbow. I fell into the ease of shooting it, sighted in off a bench took it out hunting and it's unwieldy Ness cost me a shot a a very nice buck. 99% of all people against it seems have not tried it other than off a bench, or haven't tried it at all. Yes they are accurate if you can hold them steady while keeping the limbs clear of obstructions.

There's plenty of stands with rails. I know I sure as heck use it with my gun.

The part of this I struggle the most with is why some folks think it is bad to make it easier to kill deer. I see deer primarily as food, and very good food at that. If I want a challenge, I will go out on the golf course, or somewhere else where living creatures are not involved, in my desire to "test" myself. I never understood "catch and release" fishing for the same reason. How many of you "anti-crossbow" folks practice that?

You have WEEKS to fill a freezer with your gun. Archery was about a challenge, not about meat harvest.

Why can't some people understand that?

There's plenty of stands with rails. I know I sure as heck use it with my gun.

Yep that barrel stick shine between trees and nice and close against a tree for a rest, a crossbow not so much.. hunting with one is much different than shooting one on a range.. rail or no rail.. I can definitely skinny up to a tree well with a gun and even a compound.. doesn't really work with a crossbow.
  • Like 1

You have WEEKS to fill a freezer with your gun. Archery was about a challenge, not about meat harvest.

Why can't some people understand that?

It's easier to fill a tag in archery season why is that hard to understand...deer are dumber before the bang bangs come out

• Like 1

I don't think some folks understand how good a deer's ears are and how they equate certain sounds with danger (gunshots, ATV's, etc). I bet they can hear a gun go off from several miles away and pinpoint its location within a few feet. The combination of increased human scent in the woods and gun shots is like flipping a switch, forcing them nocturnal in the zone where I live. If I could get out there at the start of archery season with a crossbow, filling DMP's would be like shooting ducks in a barrel compared to trying to do it after three weeks of archery pressure, let alone after gun season opens. It sounds like the state politicians and the DEC are finally seeing this and hopefully will let us out there at the start this fall.

Why is there so much less participation then?

Bc people don't want to bow hunt...don't have the skill to bow hunt....don't want to spend ridiculous money on bows....were never introduced to bow hunting or maybe because some bow hunters talk like it is so hard to shoot a deer during archery archery nfl that you need to let 100 s of arrows fly a week to be able to do it and scare people off...

Bc people don't want to bow hunt...don't have the skill to bow hunt....don't want to spend ridiculous money on bows....were never introduced to bow hunting or maybe because some bow hunters talk like it is so hard to shoot a deer during archery archery nfl that you need to let 100 s of arrows fly a week to be able to do it and scare people off...

So you stated it was easier, but claim one of the reasons someone wouldn't is skill......I see

So you stated it was easier, but claim one of the reasons someone wouldn't is skill......I see

It is easier if you can shoot a bow....what about deer are stupid and easily patterned in October is hard to get I've said it over and over...deer don't get wonky until late October into Nov then nocturnal when gun starts...

It's skill of the weapon not skill in finding deer....finding deer in archery is easier