Live from the turkey woods 2016

turkeyfeathers

I "worked" three gobblers in the past two days.  All three gobbled to my crow call numerous times over the course of our time together. 

Many, many times I've located birds by the crow call as that is my usual first call when jumping out of the truck or if I'm in a bad position and don't want to use a hen call and find out a bird is close and I can't move.  This is when a crow call is a huge plus because he isn't going to come running in to that.

Once I have a gobbler located I use the crow call to check on his movement so as to NOT over use a hen call.  Once I know where he is I can tweak my strategy and MAYBE kill the bastid....... :)     And no, it hasn't worked as planned this year for one reason or another.  I've had some very close encounters and haven't sealed the deal as of today.  I've been plagued with some foot issues and have been in a fair amount of discomfort.........lousy excuse I know!

Dan are you using the Faulk's? 

• Like 3

but they are so bunched up that there is no way I could shoot with out killing more than one turkey, not to mention the bunch of geese that are right behind them….WTF??? 

These Turkeys must have joined ISIS. They are hiding among civilians now.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

I "worked" three gobblers in the past two days.  All three gobbled to my crow call numerous times over the course of our time together. 

Many, many times I've located birds by the crow call as that is my usual first call when jumping out of the truck or if I'm in a bad position and don't want to use a hen call and find out a bird is close and I can't move.  This is when a crow call is a huge plus because he isn't going to come running in to that.

Once I have a gobbler located I use the crow call to check on his movement so as to NOT over use a hen call.  Once I know where he is I can tweak my strategy and MAYBE kill the bastid....... :)     And no, it hasn't worked as planned this year for one reason or another.  I've had some very close encounters and haven't sealed the deal as of today.  I've been plagued with some foot issues and have been in a fair amount of discomfort.........lousy excuse I know!

Dan are you using the Faulk's? 

When I was working my gobbler, May 11, I was lucky in that my crow call,  a Faulks, got a couple crows going. When I was playing the game with the tom, the crows would sporadically call and make the bird(s) shock gobble, letting me know his (actually their...because there were two toms together) location. When I have a bird hung up and close, I am reticent to use the crow call, or any other...owl hoot, goose call, etc. because I think that the tom can pinpoint exactly the place of the origin of the call. They know that a hen, and a crow call can not come from the same spot, and it makes the older, spooky toms hang up. So I move off a bit to run the crow call, or at least spin around the tree and call the opposite way so the sound doesn't seem to come from the same exact place. We need to know where the tom is, but calling to them makes the call-shy older birds around here hang up and get in "the demanding mode" demanding that the hen come to them. That's when I play "hard to get." Just a sporadic call, only clucks and putts, purrs, and the quietest yelps... and while moving away...from the tom, like a disinterested feeding hen (scratch leaves) would. Works for me, but I could be overthinking it as usual. :rolleyes:

Just got home from morning hunt. Friend took me to a woods I've never been to before. Gorgeous morning out and pretty woods. Both can't believe we didn't hear a gobble throughout the hills. It was dead silent out with no wind. Called in lone hen as we stood on trail trying to fire up old tom . Caught with no headnets on as she clucked and purred her way into 25 yards or so before she saw us. She was calling so soft it sounded a few hundred yards away at first. Caught one look of my ugly mug and putted and took to wing. Saw a few birds in field mode on the way home. Day #11 complete. Work at noon tomorrow so ah what the heck. I'll give it a go.

• Like 1

Just got back home after hitting the woods early. I tried going to 2 other spots that I knew about, problem was there were already vehicles parked there!!!

Went back to the same woods I was at yesterday, finally heard 2 gobblers sound off about 100 yards away. Set up rather quickly and gave out a few calls, they gobbled one more time then went completely silent again. Heard hens yelping as well. Stayed right till 11:30 am this morning, ZIP again!! After 7 mornings so far this season, only two mornings I heard gobbles then they went silent on me.

One morning called in 7 jakes, The rest complete silence. With the warmer weather coming, I suspect that things might get better. The Toms are still henned up, and don't want to play yet, at least in the places I have hunted so far. My tailbone is sorer than hell right now from sitting so dam long each day!!

• Like 1

Maytom , out 11x and played with birds 3x I'm feeling like a complete novice this year. Moon , hens , temps , I can't figure it out. Do you have a Cabela's strut chair or similar ? It saves these achy bones Still having fun but thinking my gun is defective , as it doesn't make noise. Live for the month of May but gotta admit I'm bewildered

Not a gobble to be had today , no hens talking , nothing seen but another hunter stalking my calls ... Guess I'll take the compliment haha... Was absolutely gorgeous morning too , no wind , sunny , and 50's ... I don't get it ... I've had gobbles on most days that weren't near as nice as today , but hey when we think we understand these sob's , think again .... Greatfull to have one bird down this season cause it's not looking good for a second , but not giving up till that fat $)&" sings ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by deerpassion
  • Like 1

Maytom , out 11x and played with birds 3x I'm feeling like a complete novice this year. Moon , hens , temps , I can't figure it out. Do you have a Cabela's strut chair or similar ? It saves these achy bones Still having fun but thinking my gun is defective , as it doesn't make noise. Live for the month of May but gotta admit I'm bewildered

TF, yes, I have a Cabela's chair along with a foam pad, but still get sore butt after sitting for almost 6 hrs.!!!! Like you, I am bewildered as well. Most of these spots I go to are my honey holes,

and have taken numerous birds before. Think either the birds are henned up, or the gobbler's have already been shot out? Tuff season so far

• Like 2

Best of luck this morning TF!!!

After two mornings in a row, and a lack of anything happening, decided to sleep in today. Doctor's appointment, and stuff to do around the house

made it easy to sleep in and charge the batteries back up.

• Like 1

I went out to Little Valley yesterday stayed in the woods from before 5 till noon, covered a lot of woods, did not hear a single bird! I didn't even find any fresh signs, where are the birds gone? I checked out 3 different areas where I know there has been birds in the past and nothing. I know the numbers are down but this really is hard to take. Lawd, you want to play golf tomorrow? Seriously i don't think I can take many more days of getting up so early, walking so far, and not hearing a single bird! 

• Like 1

Need to find out who's property that is n see if you can hunt it lol... That's torture right there... At least there vocal I guess ...

daughter and I tried a few summers ago. Woman said " I don't approve of hunting and killing animals , but you can shoot all the woodchucks you want " in the same breath lol.

Got in around 515 and nothin at normal roost site so checked a ridge about quarter mile away. I spooked what i think was a jake or hen, and then figured what the heck ill set up and call hoping there are other birds nearby. Open hardwoods. Had a gobble soon after but never got a visual. Gobbled 6-8 times but because of a small rise between him and me i couldnt see him. Wasnt more than 60 yards. i think either a coyote spooked him or a hen swooped by and he went silent.

Went for a walk and spooked one hen in hardwoods and another in a field. No gobblers. Walking back to my original spot i did some light calling and a bird starts gobbling. I tried a sneak and he was out in a pasture and i suppose he caught me moving. He fast walked away.

Called it quits after that.

Odd day but i could have closed the deal and didnt. Thats hunting.