Live from the turkey woods 2016

turkeyfeathers

Just saw the coolest thing on way home. I'd almost call it a white hen but probably better described as light light tan. Her and long beard walking in tilled field. Tried to get pic thru binocs but that didn't pan out. Crazy coloring on her and noticed her first Wild !

• Like 1

Went back out to where I almost connected on a long beard yesterday, only planned my tree out a little better. Heard the bird fire up after he hit the ground on the shelf below me. He answered me twice but I could tell he was strutting. Had a hen come across my face, headed down to the tom so after I figured out she was alone, I purposely moved my head and got her to turn a 180 a walk away from me and the gobbler. After about 20 minutes the gobbling stopped and I can only assume a different hen snatched him up. I called sparingly and sat quiet til 6 and decided to give my new Haint Gobble call a try for the first time in a hunting scenario. Surprisingly had two jakes come in quiet but I decided to let them pass (For the last time). sat quiet until 6:35 and gave a sequence of some yelps on my slate and called two hens in but they came up over the bank and were acting pretty sketchy and headed back the way they came. They must not have been too scared though because I could hear them scratching over the bank after. By 6:50 I had to leave to get ready for work. I get home and as I'm getting changed, I swear I heard a gobble through my open bedroom window. I sat there and listened for 5 minutes and never heard another so I said screw it, gotta go to work. Get ready for work and head out the door. 7:30 I leave the house and 4 houses down are two long beards strutting for two hens in the yard... I guess I wasn't losing my mind when I thought I heard a gobble at the house!

Tomorrow I'm going in extra early and going to try and sit on the shelf where I think these toms pitch down to, to strut and gobble til the hens grab 'em. Tick-tock Tick-tock... this tag is burning a hole in my pocket.

• Like 1

I'm done for the year with temps set to hit the 80's this week. I worked 18 birds this year, my son had a fantastic youth hunt and season with me and this weekend capped it all off. Till next year!

I lied, I feel like I have to kill that gobbler on behalf of WNY. Every day I see him strutting I want him dead more. lol

• Like 2

Made a move around 7 or so to another spot just down the road , on the way there's a long fresh tilled field on private land ... There were two hens, a hake, and three strutters ... Sat n watched the dominant bird go in n out of strutt and chasing the others off periodically ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it was cool to witness, especially having my little girl with me, on our way to ride the tractor and till some plots for the beans..

Attached Thumbnails
  • 20160522_125020.jpg

You may want to ask her if you could barrow that dress for the rest of the week...hang it on a near by limb( where your not in the line of fire) ;) What a cutie!!!

• Like 1

Well just had a jogger pass me at ten yds .... Should have seen the confused look on his face when my Avion X jake didn't budge an inch when he passed by , never saw me ... Oy vey

should have lit up a crow call or gobble call lol.
  • Like 5

Got busted by two birds that were already down at about 520.. ?? It was light enough but it still seemed kind of early to me…Couldn't get anything going. 

I have yet another plan for the morning…I think this is like plan # 75 for the season…..Did see 2 big bodied deer about 60 yards out. No headgear. Watched them for a while then one suddenly stopped and gazed right in my direction. I was hunkered in and all camped up. I think it smelled my Deep Wood Off and the coffee I spilled all over my shirt, before I left the house.

2 good looking deer tho..

• Like 2

Only heard a few gobbles in the distance this morning. Was cruising along a logging road and came across a big pile of fresh bear crap...100 yds later I came up on the bear standing in the trail!!! Looked pretty big, I just backed off and went back up the trail the way I came.

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 3

Only heard a few gobbles in the distance this morning. Was cruising along a logging road and came across a big pile of fresh bear crap...100 yds later I came up on the bear standing in the trail!!! Looked pretty big, I just backed off and went back up the trail the way I came.

So we have confirmation "That bears really do crap in the woods" Thank you

Some day I'll see one.....

• Like 1

First time out since the 10th. Had several birds hammering like crazy around 0515. Thought we were in the mix for my nephew, sounded like 4 birds all fired up double gobble answers, what a racket! Then for reasons unknown to me all went silent and that was that, good 30 minutes of action. Never laid eyes on them but I'd say around 75 yards from us in the woods. I'll give tomorrow morning a shot in the same area. See what we see.

Edited by hunterdan44

Hoping for deja vu in the morning. Just roosted a longbeard in the same exact spot I killed my bird yesterday.  He strutted out in the field with 3 hens til 8:52! It's the EXACT same hunt as yesterday. I killed the imposter bird, this one is the full bearded one that has been there for the post two months. My wife will be behind the gun. We are gonna try without the blind...

• Like 3

Sitting in the spot I shot my bird the first week and had a couple jack holes snake my spot n shot a bird as well .... Hoping by some miracle that it left an open door for another bird to move in the last few weeks... Just had the train go by pretty close, no gobbles with the train horn ...