Live from the turkey woods 2016

turkeyfeathers

I've done a couple of half hearted mid morning hunts..heard hens no sight . Not one gobble for 2 wks.. I planned on hunting hard the last week..Well so much for plans.Monday is the only day they are not calling for all day rains thunderstorms until after the end of month. Let's hope they are on par with their accuracy. Then maybe I'll have a few dry mornings..lol

Funny how different deer are in the spring. I've probably had more than 20 deer in bow range just sitting next to a tree this spring. This morning was a doe who came behind me at about 5 yards to my left. I swear I could have spit on her. I raised my phone to take a pic and she freaked. May have been blowing for a good 10 minutes. Entertainment at least lol.

Doewhacker and I just had 2 long beards come in with 4 jakes and 2 hens. They put on one hell of a show. Fighting, gobbling, strutting, drumming and hissing all the way in to the point where we misjudged the distance and spit dust on them. Been sitting here waiting for them to get out of the field so we can leave and come back later and try again.

Maybe we should have brought our jesus bullets with us instead of these turkey loads. Next time...

• Like 6

The highlight of yesterday was I saw a little fawn, couldn't have been more than a day or two old. It must have heard me walking and thought I was mom, it came right up to me sniffed my leg and the spooked and jumped away and laid down in the brush. I left the area only to run into her again about an hour later. She was going through the woods baa baa baa looking for mom. I hope she found her or I'm sure she will be coyote bait! I would have taken i picture but in my rush to get going i left my phone on the kitchen table. :(

• Like 1

Doewhacker and I just had 2 long beards come in with 4 jakes and 2 hens. They put on one hell of a show. Fighting, gobbling, strutting, drumming and hissing all the way in to the point where we misjudged the distance and spit dust on them. Been sitting here waiting for them to get out of the field so we can leave and come back later and try again.

Maybe we should have brought our jesus bullets with us instead of these turkey loads. Next time...

sorry about the miss but sounds like a great morning never the less. Good luck getting them back in.

• Like 2

I gave some soft yelps and clucks at around 630. A short time later a nice tom and a hen came scratching along, probably 70 yards or so. I don't think I called them, I think they just happened to be on a certain route. I believe they are the same pair I saw a few days ago, in the same area. They slowly made their way out into the fields, ignoring my calls, then slowly moved out of sight.  it was cool to watch them for a while. No gobbling at all this morning.

I did find this 140 class shed while I was poking around. I hope to find the other so I have a set of killer rattling horns this fall... LOL!!!post-1863-0-39760300-1463922015_thumb.jp

• Like 7

I gave some soft yelps and clucks at around 630. A short time later a nice tom and a hen came scratching along, probably 70 yards or so. I don't think I called them, I think they just happened to be on a certain route. I believe they are the same pair I saw a few days ago, in the same area. They slowly made their way out into the fields, ignoring my calls, then slowly moved out of sight. it was cool to watch them for a while. No gobbling at all this morning.

I did find this 140 class shed while I was poking around. I hope to find the other so I have a set of killer rattling horns this fall... LOL!!!attachicon.gifIMG_0187.jpg

140? You need to learn how to judge looks more like low 130s.

• Like 5

post-2630-0-80061300-1463928783_thumb.jpTagged out yesterday on a Jake at 6:15.  Was set up where I wanted to be by 4:40 and again no gobbling heard at all.  Then, he came in quietly to a combination of some yelps, cuts, and clucking.  No gobbling to alert me that he was coming but everything was so dry I heard him approaching from the crunchy leaves until I saw his bright red head bobbing around looking for the hen he was hearing. Came into about 35 yards before he presented a good shot. Been a quiet season as far as gobbling activity but I ended up tagging out for the season after a two year slump.  Good luck to all still out there!

Edited by JALA RUT
  • Like 8

sorry about the miss but sounds like a great morning never the less. Good luck getting them back in.

It was a heck of a weekend, we were on birds both days and saw more when we went back out today for round two. Lots of gobbling today all day and yesterday morning early. I think WNY is officially hooked on Turkey hunting.

I'm done for the year with temps set to hit the 80's this week. I worked 18 birds this year, my son had a fantastic youth hunt and season with me and this weekend capped it all off. Till next year!

• Like 4

I'm out .... All I heard tday was a pretty chatty hen early flyin down ... Thought it was another hunter but never heard another call from that spot again and I'm the only truck here ... Tried firing her up n battle with her but she had other plans .... Probly a spa day ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1