Practicing

Dom

Just to be clear this is for practicing/shooting of my/your bow. How do you shoot with or during windy conditions?Do you shoot with- against or across the direction of the wind?To myself shooting with across wind moves my arrow a little in either direction shooting into the wind seems to slow the arrow 

Just to be clear this is for practicing/shooting of my/your bow. How do you shoot with or during windy conditions?Do you shoot with- against or across the direction of the wind?To myself shooting with across wind moves my arrow a little in either direction shooting into the wind seems to slow the arrow 

I certainly do not practice with strong winds. I shoot inside to get things correct, then hope for a close in shot during season. If wind is a problem, and some distance involved, I would let the deer walk.

• Like 1

practice in whatever you'll hunt in.  there will probably be a windy day just before a storm front rolls in that's good hunting.  eliminate cross sectional area of your bow, like turning a stabilizer so fatter profile is left to right versus up and down.  also don't shoot with your quiver on. if stalking carry it as close as you can until you have to be clipped in even then take another arrow out so it's ready to grab.  for consistency shoot as i normally would.  i don't can't my bow.  when the wind picks up i back off the trigger and pull harder on the string or into the bow's "back wall".  i hunt with a blazer vanes and a smaller diameter arrow which helps.  practice and get a feel for how much the wind pushes your arrow.  mostly it's the wind effecting your follow through though.
...that's my take and what works for me.  sure there's more than one way to do it.

Wind is no fun on longer shots in fields in the woods its not so bad.. the older I get the less I hunt in bad weather...

most of the time when it's windy the deer don't seem to be moving as much anyway.  I've put on stalks and hunted leeward pockets of cover but it's tough hunting.  windy days right before a storm front comes through and during late season on high energy food sources is pretty much it for me.