Yamaha 700 Kodiak input

Does anyone have one of these? For quite a while I was looking at the Polaris 570 but started reading a lot of heat issues. A few peeps have told me they like the Yamaha and the package below sounded reasonable and a 5 year warranty.!

2016 YAMAHA KODIAK 700 4X4....JUST $6999.00
Price Includes 5 Year Yamaha Factory Warranty ($660.00 Value), 26" SMR Tire and Wheel kit ($875.00 value) and a 2500LB Winch and mount ($465.00 Value)

I can vouch for the engine and trans, as its the same as in my Viking. Great power and plenty dependable. Ive pulled some decent sized drag harrows and plenty of other implements with it and never had an issue. One day that I was pulling an 8foot drag harrow, it was about 80 degrees out and I never had it overheat, though when I took a break Id let it sit and idle to keep the fan running to cool her down a bit. That was in some pretty sloppy conditions with the harrow tines set all the way down.

I bought my kid the polaris 570 last spring…The only issue I had was the cheap ass battery Polaris put in it. I replaced it with a better one….65- 70 bucks… other than that ..no issues. Lots of Power and a smooth ride…I think I paid around 6K for it.   Nothing wrong with the Yamaha's tho'''

• Like 1

Not sure if that kodiak is efi or not but the 570 polaris is and makes gobs of power for the displacment. I have a 500ho and the thing is a beast. I have a 30 gallon sprayer I have mounted to the back rack to spray plots without issues along with pulling various drags, disc harrow, 1 bottom plow. It is a great little machine as is the Yamahas just something to think about.

Ive owned several polaris and will never own another unless its given to me or super cheap. Thats just me though. Compared to my honda foreman, it doesnt stand a chance.. yamaha or honda are the only 2 id choose from. Have owned them since the 80's with very minimal issues.. still running today.. Just my experience and opinion..

Ive owned several polaris and will never own another unless its given to me or super cheap. Thats just me though. Compared to my honda foreman, it doesnt stand a chance.. yamaha or honda are the only 2 id choose from. Have owned them since the 80's with very minimal issues.. still running today.. Just my experience and opinion..

Just curious, what made you dislike the Polaris(s) you ownded so much? Only downfall I have found is the amount of grease zerks, it takes forever to grease them all at least a good hour. They are a nice heavy machine very capable of doing most jobs for people and have a very loyal following. My father has a big bear and my grandfather an old moto-4 both Yamahas both serve a purpose and run great.

My Polaris is a 2011 so a little newer with low hours and miles I never really abuse it except when pulling logs for firewood or discing food plots. I'm making a pull behind skidder to help with the heavy logs. We use it in the summer to launch the Jet Skis over the bank at my father-in-laws cottage and run back and forth to the pole barn getting tools or whatever and the wife uses for various jobs pulling the garden cart around.

Just curious, what made you dislike the Polaris(s) you ownded so much? Only downfall I have found is the amount of grease zerks, it takes forever to grease them all at least a good hour. They are a nice heavy machine very capable of doing most jobs for people and have a very loyal following. My father has a big bear and my grandfather an old moto-4 both Yamahas both serve a purpose and run great.

My Polaris is a 2011 so a little newer with low hours and miles I never really abuse it except when pulling logs for firewood or discing food plots. I'm making a pull behind skidder to help with the heavy logs. We use it in the summer to launch the Jet Skis over the bank at my father-in-laws cottage and run back and forth to the pole barn getting tools or whatever and the wife uses for various jobs pulling the garden cart around.

I have an 07 700 Sportsman that I bought new. Still runs beautiful . I plow with it, haul wood, deer and gear all the time..great machine. Had to replace the battery once and a cv boot, that I tore. I think it need a new belt, but thats to be expected… 

I guess its like Ford Vs. Chevy Vs. Dodge Vs. Nissan Vs. Toyota…….

These were all early 2000s models 2 dif trail boss, and 325 magnum if I remember right. They never ran right. Been to multiple shops and it seems they just don't hold up like a honda or Yamaha does. My 2002 350 rancher and 1998 450 foreman are animals and never broke once. I've skidded many of trees out of the woods snow and all. The foreman just eats. It now has 9k miles on it. And still turn key go... I'm sure all new machines nonfat terms what the make is are going to reliable for awhile. But I run them til there dead, and there's more Hondas and yamaha atvs or even Suzuki than there are polaris.

Don't get me wrong I don't like the Japanese names but when it comes to a quad .. I'm all in. Hondas are just animals

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I can't speak on the Yamaha but I love my Polaris 570. I have not replaced the battery and it just turned a year old. As far as heat, you ride any Atv in shorts on a hot summer day your going to feel some heat.

I use my around the house,camp and for hunting. I paid less then 6K out the door price for mine, it's hard to beat for that kind of money.I'm sure the Yamaha is nice but the 570 got my vote.

My son is 13 and pretty small so I decided to go with a mid size. All the new ones now are just huge. This should cover us for a couple years till he is bigger and we really see if we really need anything bigger or newer. Just light work pulling deer, tree stands, chainsaws and gear... Him goofing around.... I only have 12 acres here. If I get more land and plan to do heavy work I'll get another. For a quarter to a third of the price of a new one and the primo condition it is in I'm happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Honda looks like its in real good shape, and Honda is a good machine. You don't need a real big machine for basic grunt work. I had a Kawi 360 4x4 that I sold to by my sons Polaris 570. I loved that 360. I used it more than my 700 efi. The only down fall of the 360 was ground clearance. Some spots ,on one property I hunt, has deep ruts that are always wet. The 360 could get through but I really had to pick and choose how I got through, were as, with my 700 or the 570, I can just ride straight through. I even prefer smaller ATV's in tight woods.

Congrats….

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My buddy picked up one of those new kodiaks this spring. Seems to run good. Only downfall is that unless you get the LE edition it doesn't have a front locking differential and he claims it's a huge disappointment to not have it. He says getting stuck is shockingly easy without it and has had to use the winch a few times to get himself out.

I was almost gonna go with a new Honda rubicon 500 a couple months ago when I was looking but ended up going with a Kawasaki brute force 750 for only $100 more than the Honda. All that extra power for a hundred bucks seemed worth it to me. So far the brute force has been awesome. Great riding machine and holy hell does it have power. Forget about getting stuck or not having the power to pull something! I used to have a 500 Honda and while the power as adequate, it wasn't a beast by any means. These brute forces sure do have some snot and make riding really fun!

5075ee9fbdf0691a44fb8be705068325.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Adkhunter1590
  • Like 1