The "Official" Where are you from, where do you hunt / fish thread.

burmjohn

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This will be the 4th year i believe!!!It seems to be working down there.I think with the law on the park there is less ground checking goin on!!!I have taken a 10 and 12 point the last 2 years bow hunting.The bad thing is now that the word is out it is hard to draw a permit to hunt there during shotgun season.They still only let 500 hunters on the first week and there was like 2000 hunters in the lottery last year!!!!!

Yup do have some pics,but gotta figure out how to get them on here!!!I have some private land on the edge of the park near the perry entrance and see lots of turkey on that end but shot my 2 biggest bucks on the bottom of the gorge dowm trail 15.That 6hr drag sucks but its worth every second of it.The bottom is rough country but thats were the big boys hang out so thats where my treestand hangs out!!!

Hi I am now located near Oneonta NY. I have a small piece of land to hunt of only 26 A's, but there is several other state land within a hour ride. I bow hunt, gun hunt but no longer can go for the small game. I am a older hunter 68 years young. I shoot the bow about 5 times a week and about a 1/2 hour at a time. Love the woods in the fall but also let them walk unless it is a good buck. I no longer shoot doe's as were I am the deer herd has been down from over hunting. We seem to get a lot of the brown is down gang were I live.

Time keeps marching on Bill. Starting to feel a bit of that myself at 67 (68 not that far away). Sorry to hear that you had to close the archery shop. I would imagine that it was a lot of fun for you and a good way to stay involved with archery and bowhunters.

Doc

Hey all - I finally found my way over from NYDeer.com. I see some of my fellow hunters had joined ( Hey Eddie, Wooly, Bubba, and anyone I missed) so I figured I would check it out. I'm from Apalachin, NY in Tioga County. I bow hunt here in 7S and rifle hunt in 4W. I do some shotgunning as well here in 7S with my neighbor. I belong to a camp in 4W that is approx. 270+ acres and mostly mountain. Tough hunting but it is a great getaway from civilization. I just started charging my trail cam battery pack tonight so I can put it out this weekend. I'm getting the itch and its only July!!!! Look forward to posting a ton in the near future.

I'm over here in Ontario County. I hunt in my back yard in rather steep, hilly, non agricultural area, that is mostly mature woods on top and dense brush in the valleys. Much of the low land is beginning to get covered with multi-flora rose that creates huge areas of man-killer, impenetrable cover for the deer. I've got a small amount of land (almost 40 acres) but spend most of my hunting time on the state land next-door. I have an ATV that gets me to the top of the hill, which gives me a bit of an edge over other hunters in that I can get up the hill still relatively fresh and then have the energy left to hunt some of the back country that most hunters don't have the stamina to hunt. Climbing that hill is  real heart test ..... lol.

I don't hunt out of the area like I used to do. I used to hunt all over the Naples area, but now I stay pretty close to home. I've been hunting the same area since I was a kid, and probably know that particular stretch of hunting turf better than anyone else because of the thousands of hours I have spent there over the years. Thousands? .... yeah I think thats accurate. Well anyway it's been 55 of my 66 years.

As far as fishing is concerned, we have a whole bunch of options in the area. West River down by Naples supplies the bullhead fishing in the spring. Almost everybody around has stocked ponds that I have access to. We have finger lakes all inside of a short drive. And if I want to get into a bit of a ride, there is always the canal.

Doc

Doc, I live in Ontario County too, the City of Canandaigua. I have two 19 year old sons and my younger brother (Mt. Morris) that hunt with me. We hunt about 45 acres in Hopewell and do a lot of hunting on some private land near Dalton and state land (Kinney Swamp) in Livingston and Allegheny County.  We also have about 70 acres up north in St. Lawrence County Town of Depeyster) and hunt state land (Fish Creek Swamp) too.

• 2 weeks later...

Great site, interesting conversations!!! Lived in NY all my life, Schuyler, Yates and now Wayne county (8F). Hunt whitetails and turkeys on a 60 acre, abandoned farm. Over-run with multiflower rose and poison ivy, but I have been plugging away making trails, etc. Do what I can at 63, can be challenging at times. Hunt deer with bow and muzzleloader. Can October 16th get her soon enough?!?

I know where you are coming from. I just turned 60 this past year and we hunt some pretty good forsaken pieces of property up north. It is doable; you legs just get shorter quicker. I got back into bow hunting a few years ago with my younger brother (57) and have hunted mainly in the town of Hopewell. I have never hunted anywhere in Wayne County but my brother used to live in Palmyra and hunted there. He recently bought a house in Mt. Morris. If you hunt by yourself and are looking for some company, we could consider ganging up on them.It make the dragging easier too!  You can contact me at my e-mail [email protected].

Hay guys:

Nyerluvs2trap---AKA  (FRENCHIE)  Looks like a great sight here .

I am mainly a trapper and I usually get to bowhunt a couple of evenings each early fall.

I have not used my rifle sent 1994.I hunt Franklin co. up by the canadian border  the (Dacks).

I love to bowhunt turkeys it's just as much as fun as deer. Actually I hunt everthing with my bow.

Later  FRENCHIE

I grew up in northern westchester/putnam counties. Now in Dutchess county. I have 2 small local spots to hunt and my uncle's farm in southwest Albany county. I take my son fishing in the local streams and lake george area when we can make the trip. I just bought a camper trailer, so hopefully I can utilize that for more good times.

Another one from Dutchess here, moved in from Brooklyn 7 years ago and never looked back :-)

I hunt in Dutchess (Stissing, Hereford, Lafayette, not much else is here) and also in CT since I'm close to CT border (Dover)

This year I will jump on the bow bandwagon and expand a bit to catskills at least they have more land there...

Live in Steuben County NY..

I hunt  annually in Steuben County NY ,Tioga and Potter Co. PA, and Ontario Canada..

When my hunting trip "war chest" allows I hunt points west , north and south.....

So far I have hunted in Alaska, four different Canadian Provinces, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Texas, Iowa, Georgia, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maine...

I fish many places, but the places I fish the most often are The Canisteo River, The Cohocton River and tributaries, Keuka Lake, Seneca Lake and Honeyoye Lake...

• 2 weeks later...

Live in Cayuga county

Hunt deer/turkey/moose etc

Area I hunt is cayuga county/ Canada every fall for three to four week.

Have my guides license and if the deal is right will guide for moose  ;D .

Like to fish "Not Release" salmon/trout.

• 2 weeks later...