Owl in the Duck house

Doewhacker

Tuesday morning I awoke and peered out the window at our duck pen and noticed we were missing a couple. This got my suspicions up as we had lost a duck Saturday night already. I knew something got them and when I went out with my dogs to investigate I found out what was enjoying a Duck dinner on me. It was a Great Hornded Owl!!!

post-28-0-67508000-1464800358_thumb.jpeg

I removed the netting over the ducks and tried to scare the owl out. It wasn't sure what to do to get out and eventually I ended up removing all of the net. I thought about grabbing it for a brief second and quickly decided that wasn't a great idea at 530am with no coffee so I kept at it and eventually got it to hop out. It sat there hissing and clapping its beak at me. It finally flew a little and I knew it was ok so I left it alone. It took off at some point and left. What an ordeal! Never a dull moment for us between our hobby poultry farm and all the critters there is always something going on. I'd prefer if they didn't eat my dinner before I can but if they want to bad enough it can be hard to stop them. Last night something chewed it's way into the duck house and took out my favorite duck so now I have to go home build them a fortress that nothing can get into.

post-28-0-41632300-1464800579_thumb.jpeg

post-28-0-78290000-1464800613_thumb.jpeg

What a handsome devil.
post-28-0-89801200-1464800963_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 6

That is pretty cool! Sorry you had to lose your ducks in the process..

Ah I'm in their house so it's bound to happen, I had a fox run through the other weekend when WNY was out turkey hunting. We have fisher too and I suspect that's what chewed in last night.

• Like 1

Good thing you didn't  decide to handle the owl, Doe..

I still have scars on my arm from MY encounter with a great horned owl, and that took place when I was 15 , in 1965...

hehehehe... Resulted in another of my MANY tetanus shots when I was younger...

• Like 1