Just a friendly letter…...

First-light

You all know I was able to buy the 10 acre parcel next to my camp. So know I border another camp consisting of 66 acres. I have never met the owner and in fact they didn't show up for the last two seasons. You can go online and pretty much find out anything about your neighbor in the tax map section for your county. I did this and got his address and sent along a friendly letter introducing myself. That was a week ago and I received a phone call from him today. He really appreciated the letter and was looking forward to meeting me in a couple of weeks. We were on the phone for 15-20 minutes and I felt like I knew the guy. Always like to extend my hand first and see what happens……it will pay off in the long run.

• Like 13

I have a friend that has a neighboring property where the owner lives out of state. Prime deer property. He had people that would randomly park in the field, put tree stands up and occasionally wander on to his own property. He wrote a letter to the owner this past season explaining the situation and how it effected his land and hunting. The owner told him to post the hell out of it and gave him permission to hunt. We went in and pulled the stands and put them in the field to be picked up. Worked out perfect for him. Sometimes all you need to do is extend a hand.

• Like 2

Way better to meet your neighbors before season even if it takes a little effort. My neighbor to the north had just closed on his place a few weeks before season. Didn't get it all posted just the road.. saw someone cutting across the corner of his property opening day.. chased the guy down and kicked him off before letting the guy expalin he was his neighbor who's property surrounded his on 2 sides.. he would cut the corner to get to his far woods..

Needless to say they weren't friendly after thay and when he hit a nice buck thay went onto his corner cutting neighbors land he was denied tracking and lost a nice buck to him.. I met the corner crosser. Not a bad guy but was rubbed the wrong way with no chance to explain or apologise.. now I have permission to hunt his and the neighbor to the Norths by not passing jugement on someone immediately. . Maybe some day thru me they might become friendlier. But it a lot harder to over come then just getting off on a good foot with a good dialog and mutual understanding