Hunting Boot/Shoe Question

I've got some issues with my feet (yea, I know and other trouble too :)) and am thinking of using mid height hiking boots for some of my hunting. 

The past couple years I've gone back and forth with all leather 8" hunting boots from Meindl, Danner and most recently Chippewa.  I don't really know what the trouble is but I do wear prescription orthodic inserts and still have trouble.  My feet are tired & sore at the end of the day when hunting, especially spring gobblers.  I needed a new pair of hiking boots as my others are whipped.  Their general use was for year round messing around and occasionally work.  I thought about it and can't see why they wouldn't work great for all of the spring turkey I do unless I'm hunting a swampy area.  I bought a pair of Keen Tagheel Mid TAC II at the local Cabela's and they fit great!  I've been wearing them each day for the last two weeks and at the end of the day I'm almost fresh as a daisy..........

So now I'm thinking that a boot like them or another similar boot might work for lots of my hunting situations, except of course cold weather tree stand or still hunting.

Do I need an 8" heavy leather lug sole boot?

• 3 weeks later...

Larry, for most of my hunting, I always wear a pair of "Lacrosse Burley" knee high boots with their standard insulation and air bob soles. I like the fact that Lacrosse is the only company that makes 18" high boots too. For spring turkey hunting, they are the cats ass with the dam morning dew that gets most shoes and pant legs soaked. I also wear them for fall bowhunting due to the rubber keeping your scent off the ground as you walk to your stand. Best all around boots I have except for really cold snowy weather, then I wear a pair of Pak Boots with the removable liners for stand hunting. You can also use them for still hunting for deer. As long as your moving, they will generate heat to your feet.

The best and most comfortable boots I ever had for hunting were Rocky Corn Stalkers . They lasted several years and wore out . I bought another pair that was new and improved and they were terrible . Most of the time I wear knee high rubber boots when deer hunting but that is on mostly flat land . They would be worthless on hilly terrain . 

So difficult ...I loved 2 pairs of Wolverines I had, but they discontinued both...bought a new pair and 1 1/2 hours in the left boot has my foot so dang sore I'm limping back home.. can't seem to "break" them in...I searched the boot you like...I wear that type of boot all fall right up to snow fall or my feet get too cold. In the blinds I will wear regular boot in take them off, put on slippers and slip my feet into my boot cozies...so much more comfy^_^

• Like 1

Larry like you my feet can be a problem without the right footwear and like you I try everything and anything when it comes to having boots that are comfortable. If your feet are not happy the day is done.

The biggest problem I find with footwear today is the sizing, the overseas companies that make today's boots have them all under sized and too narrow compared to American made stuff of a couple of decades ago.

If I am going to be doing any amount of walking I want boots especially made for walking and I have found that upland style bird hunting boots work the best for me. They are usually the lightest boots most comfortable to wear and they have soles that are not heavily lugged which work fine for most situations from now until the snow starts flying. 

I have several pairs of this style and just bought another pair, Wood N Stream Kangaroos American Heritage that are actually American made and for a change sized right and they fit right. I have been wearing them to break them in but they fit so good there is no break in. Right now they are my favorite boots as far as comfort, the proof in the pudding will be  how they hold up over the long haul. Now these boots sure are pricey but shopping around I found they will go on sale at times for a substantial savings, that is what made me pull the trigger and I am glad I did.

Al

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Breathable-Stream-Kangaroo-Boots/dp/B00DMBDFZ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471436083&sr=8-1&keywords=kangaroo+hunting+boots

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

My daughter hunts in a pair of short light weight hiking shoes,  sneakers would do with warm socks.

If they work for her hiking the pacific north west,ADK why would she have an issue deer hunting flat land?

I hunt almost always in Muck Boots . Largely as they keep my pant leg clean and I can take them off easy for the drive back and forth .

For the past several years I have been hiking in a pair of ASOLO Fugitive GTX boots and have absolutely loved them. From the Adirondacks to Colorado they have served me well. I have considered using them for hunting but at this time my hunting boots have no problems either. After many miles it is about time for a new pair of the Fugitives though. Great ankle support, superior traction and very comfortable. I wouldn't consider anything else.

"Start Where You Are, Use What You Have, Do What You Can."
-Arthur Ashe

I used to be a Lacrosse guy but no matter what series I've tried from them, they just don't hold up from one year to the next.

My last 2 pairs of Arrowheads (the first was replaced by the store after 4 months) both ripped open above the heel in the exact same spot on both pairs within 12 months. I'm getting tired of marching around in those 18" clod hoppers any more than I have to anyhow.

The past 3 seasons I've been turkey and archery hunting (and spring/summer hiking), and shed hunting in my Oboz Yellowstone II.

They're not insulated, so I avoid the deep snows with them. They are waterproof and light weight, with an aggressive sole, and have a comfortable insert. That's all that really matters to me when the flakes ain't flying yet. I'm on my second pair of these in 3 years, which may sound like a weakness in design, but I put my share of mileage on them with zero maintenance in all 4 seasons.

When this pair has gone for it's final hike, I may check out their Beartooth hikers to extend their use into the late(r) seasons.

DSC_0099.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Even your photos of old boots are good Wooly!

LOL- thanks!

I may re-compose and go for a B+W!

I just took that the other day after I took them for a walk.

I was thinking to myself ..."man, these things are holding up great so far" so I snapped a pic thinking I might have a use for it some day.

Then today I find this post. ;)

I'm not a hiking boot fan. Seems very hard to find them in the EEE width I need. I won't buy a boot unless I can try them on. They certainly are not as light as some others out there, but I can't say enough good about the Irish Setter Elk Stalkers. very comfortable boot. I wear them from bow and into early gun. They are saved for hunting and not used for other purposes and I am on my second pair since 2005 with a lot of life left in them. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I'm not a hiking boot fan. Seems very hard to find them in the EEE width I need. I won't buy a boot unless I can try them on. They certainly are not as light as some others out there, but I can't say enough good about the Irish Setter Elk Stalkers. very comfortable boot. I wear them from bow and into early gun. They are saved for hunting and not used for other purposes and I am on my second pair since 2005 with a lot of life left in them. 

I agree...

Last Regular Season, I wasn't able to keep my feet warm when stand hunting.  I purchased a pair of Irish Setter Elk Stalkers as well, and my feet stayed pretty warm while sitting, and didn't get sweaty while still hunting, nor walking in/out.  I think my pair has 1,500 grams of insulation.  There was no break-in time, either.  The leather was ready to go the minute I put them on.  I wore them through Late Season, and will use them only for hunting.

My only difficulty with the boot was getting used to the lugged sole.  I had to adjust my gait a bit in order to avoid dragging my feet.

Edited by Rebel Darling
Grammar

34 minutes ago, Rebel Darling said:

I agree...

Last Regular Season, I wasn't able to keep my feet warm when stand hunting.  I purchased a pair of Irish Setter Elk Stalkers as well, and my feet stayed pretty warm while sitting, and didn't get sweaty while still hunting, nor walking in/out.  I think my pair has 1,500 grams of insulation.  There was no break-in time, either.  The leather was ready to go the minute I put them on.  I wore them through Late Season, and will use them only for hunting.

My only difficulty with the boot was getting used to the lugged sole.  I had to adjust my gait a bit in order to avoid dragging my feet.

Yeah the sole and tread is pretty thick and aggressive. I am glad you brought up the break in time becasue that was something I forgot to mention and one part that really impressed me.  I think mine are 1,000 gr but they come in 200 and 600 as well. 

http://www.irishsetterboots.com/USD/hunting-boots/big-game

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club