Archery Ladder Stands

TheGreatEight

All - I'm looking for recommendations on a ladder stand for bow hunting. I found this one on Sportsman's Guide website:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-16-archers-ladder-tree-stand?a=1333064

I'm a bigger guy (6' 250lbs). I like the idea of the flip-up seat for added space. Anyone have any experience with this stand or one of the likes? 

Looks like it would work great.  We use a lot of the cheap basic ladder stands with seats that don't move and small platforms that don't extend to the tree and even they work fine when you are accustomed to them.  I weigh over 300 and never had an issue.  That stand would be like moving from a studio apartment to a big house for me.  lol

I've got one very similar to that one. It's not bad, but I've really gotten to like the double or "buddy stands" over the last few years. Not necessarily for room for two, but just extra room for one. I've got 4 of them going now. I'm 5'11'', 195 but probably 225 with hunting clothes, gear, and gun.

I feel "squeezed in" sitting in a single with arm rests. Not so much if there are no arm rests.

Edited by Steuben Jerry

4 hours ago, phade said:

The arm rests are nice - I like them, but my two hunting partners are not fans of the arm rests as they do get in the way of some shooting situations with a bow.

Those stand are fine for use.

Easy fix.   Just break them off.  Right?   Lol

jerry nailed it.  Some of us are squeezed by the rest.  Keep eating your wife's wing dip.  You will understand some day.  

• Like 1

not a single stand I own has arm rests or a front rail.  I bowhunt a lot.  doesn't bother me rifle hunting but if I'm hunting a field the tree is between me and the field or I'm on the ground with shooting sticks.  free handing for close shots in the timber 100 yards or less I do just fine.

19 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

not a single stand I own has arm rests or a front rail.  I bowhunt a lot.  doesn't bother me rifle hunting but if I'm hunting a field the tree is between me and the field or I'm on the ground with shooting sticks.  free handing for close shots in the timber 100 yards or less I do just fine.

I'm just the opposite. I love having them on the bow stand. in most cases I lay the bow right across the shooting rail and rarely ust a bow hanger. I've never not been able to take a shot becasue of them. I can understand how someone that is 4'11" could have an issue. LOL

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

idk... I'm 6' and about 215 lbs so being 4'-11" is out.  i've known others to have an issue on rare occasion.  I think it just keeps things simple for me.  if they aren't there I don't have to worry.  other I know had a cam hit, had contact before drawing spook deer, one case they were resting the bow like said and it shifted/partially fell and made noise, and finally one woke up from a nap and knocked it right off the front rail and out of the tree.  Darwin moments?  probably.  I'm not one to say I'd be immune though. haha

• Like 1

Okay, so the arm rests & shooting rails on a ladder stand are more an option for security &/or comfort! The flip-up seat option is definitely helpful when bow hunting & getting into the stand. Have to agree with Culvercreekhuntclub, always have my weapon laying across the gun rail, regardless of whether it's bow or regular season. During bow season, I have it adjusted more horizontal or flat. With a Xbow or long gun, it's adjusted up at an angular position.

Something no one has mentioned is the size of the platform. I'm a big fan of bigger platforms, since I wear size 14 hunting boots and moving & positioning myself for a shot can get awkward on the smaller, narrower platforms.

Edited by nyslowhand

FWIW field and stream is giving them away now. I was there yesterday and they had a laddery stand complete for $79, I had to check the price a few times. It seemed like an acceptable one. They had a nice larger one for a ton off money, too.

Of the two stands I tried last year, one without a rail and one with I really prefer a rail and that even includes a shot I feel I missed because my string hit the rail (I won't repeat that mistake in the future--was a learning lesson). I rest the bow in front of me on the rail and also the rail helps immeasurably in the feeling of security and even shifting position around on the stand.

6 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Okay, so the arm rests & shooting rails on a ladder stand are more an option for security &/or comfort! The flip-up seat option is definitely helpful when bow hunting & getting into the stand. Have to agree with Culvercreekhuntclub, always have my weapon laying across the gun rail, regardless of whether it's bow or regular season. During bow season, I have it adjusted more horizontal or flat. With a Xbow or long gun, it's adjusted up at an angular position.

Something no one has mentioned is the size of the platform. I'm a big fan of bigger platforms, since I wear size 14 hunting boots and moving & positioning myself for a shot can get awkward on the smaller, narrower platforms.

I prefer the flip up seats too and I like the ones with the platform that goes all the way back to the tree. 

50 minutes ago, Core said:

FWIW field and stream is giving them away now. I was there yesterday and they had a laddery stand complete for $79, I had to check the price a few times. It seemed like an acceptable one. They had a nice larger one for a ton off money, too.

Of the two stands I tried last year, one without a rail and one with I really prefer a rail and that even includes a shot I feel I missed because my string hit the rail (I won't repeat that mistake in the future--was a learning lesson). I rest the bow in front of me on the rail and also the rail helps immeasurably in the feeling of security and even shifting position around on the stand.

Thanks for this information. I have a few gift cards I can put towards the $79 stand. I'll be picking one of these up this week.

The large one is my favorite , roomy and rock solid , the triple trees provided some cover .

The smaller one that my daughter is practicing sitting in cost me $39 at the end of the year a few years back. We wheeled 10 or so OT of Dicks that day.

They each do, the  job, the smaller one is harder to turn in ,due to small foot platform .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg