Single Mature Tree in Field

BKhunter

Trying to get everyone's thoughts here and I know it's hard without an actual picture, but The front of the property I hunt is a crop field with this year being soy bean. The wood line is the border of the neighboring property on all 3 sides which we do not have permission to hunt. However there is a nice mature tree 30-40 away from the wood line in the crop field. I was thinking of putting a stand up in that tree for the season. Even if not a great hunting spot at least I can see the deer moving in and out of the field and track their travel patterns and maybe get a shot at them towards the back of the property if that's where they are moving to or from. What are everyone's thoughts here?

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

is this for gun of bow?

I think its more of a gun spot since I would have more open field shots and it is a big field, but bow is not out of the question as like I said the tree is only 30-40 yards off the wood line so if anything does come out around the tree it is in range. I have also heard that white tails will sometimes gravitate towards a single tree in fields. Not sure if that is true or not.

I asked becasue of the neighboring land permission issue. Without permission you would have to anchor them with the shot. Unfortunately most beans are long gone by the time gun season rolls around. With a bow I would bet 9 times out of 10 that a hit deer is headed right into those neighboring woods. Sure would be an awesome spot to glass and see what is out there. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Did you guys ever noticed in most farm fields there is always one or two mature trees ? Someone once told me that's where the farmers would toss the field stones they didn't want to hit while working the fields.

It's also where the farmer would tie up his plow horse and perhaps eat his lunch I've been told. And yes, I'm always looking at those lone solo big trees. You can even tell where there used to be a farm but not anymore by seeing them.

Shade trees for rest.. days of horse and plow.. no need in modern times so many are removed.. through central new youk there are "wolf " white oaks in field and many are huge there is evendors a book about them. And yes most lone trees are oaks and because they have no competition their nuts are sweeter and more plentiful due to the large full crown.. deer do head to these trees to eat as they are preferred.

• Like 1

I have a stand in a hickory tree that's in the middle of a field and it's a great stand killed a truck load of does out of it. Deer seem to come to the tree as soon as they get into the field and then feed from there. I have never shot a buck from it or shot a deer from it with a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best advice I can offer is this, if the tree is away from the wood line, make sure you can get a good way in and out without jumping deer in the field. Might be best as an evening stand. That way before you venture out in the open you can scan the field to make sure it's clear. Yes, sometimes spooked deer come back, but, many times they won't. 

• Like 2

Hard for me to visualize, but I say give it a try why not ?

ive sure hung stands in "stupid" spots over the years .... some turned out to,be great spots.

Killed a buck out of one the first sit , my buddy said he thought that was a stupid spot, next day he killed one there. Guess it's what the deer think sometimes .

On 8/12/2016 at 9:30 AM, BKhunter said:

I think its more of a gun spot since I would have more open field shots and it is a big field, but bow is not out of the question as like I said the tree is only 30-40 yards off the wood line so if anything does come out around the tree it is in range. I have also heard that white tails will sometimes gravitate towards a single tree in fields. Not sure if that is true or not.

I have a single mature tree in the middle of a field where I hunt and have seen lots of deer in that field and not once have they gone near the tree. So I don't know if they gravitate towards single trees or not. I would imagine if it has cover they might. You never know what a deer is going to do. 

I have a single shag bark hickory in my 12 acre field. I plan on putting a stand in it this year. We had beans in the field last year and the deer always came out of the woods near it. This year is corn so I'll have to wait for it to b cut before I can hunt out of it. It's only 20 yards off the edge of the woods and down wind of the woods so it should become a favorite spot of mine.