30/06 and short distances

CFD914

Hey Everyone,

My question is, I have only 1 caliber, and my land does not have any long shots, mainly 50 yards and less of open area, in which I have seen a lot of deer and bear activity. I am wondering can the 30/06 be used at such a short distance? The area that I see the most activity probably is like 25 yards. 

Thanks

Yes you have large variety of bullets and loads to pick from from manufacture.. look for a rapid opening bullet for shorter ranges.. holow or softtipped. Solid or full jacketed rounds will just pass through and leave a small hole at such close range

• Like 1

Thank you, what type of bullet(brand and bullet brand... ex. PowerPoint)  would you recommend for proper expansion at 25-50 yards, and would i sight it in for a distance in between 25-50 yards?

Edited by CFD914

Sure thing...The old 30-06 is just as efficient a killer at 25 yards as at 250 yards.

Heavier for caliber bullets tend to be a little less destructive  than light bullets at close range. A good choice would be Remington Coreloct 180 grainers.

• Like 3

Sight in dead on at 100.  It will be less than an inch high at 50 and only a couple inches low at 200, should you ever hunt where a longer shot is possible.  All you have to do is hold dead center ribcage and you are in the kill zone anywhere from point blank to 250...

• Like 6

I agree don't sight in at 200 yards.  sight in at 100 yards.  50 yards won't be much different.  I grew up shooting various 30-06's to take dozens of deer at close range.  I've pretty much stuck with 150gr rounds.  Mostly Remington Cor-lokts, then Winchester Powerpoints, and then Federal Fusions, in that order.  vast majority of the deer were taken less than 100 yards out from a stand I hunt from the most with is a natural pinch point/funnel.  two closest ones at 12 and about 20 yards. both didn't go 5' before they were stone dead.  12 yard distance deer (mature doe) was on a light run and the 20ish yard deer (2.5 yr old buck) a different year was trotting behind a doe.

I've downed as many deer up close with 30-06 as out at 200 yds.  Look towards ballistic tipped bullets, they shed a lot of energy quickly.  If you don't have a rifle yet, you might consider a semi-auto like an older Remington 7400 or a BAR Browning.   Reason why is at tight distances deer are likely to come into shooting lanes on the move, the ability for a fast follow up shot might now be a bad thing.  Much like having a lever action carbine.  In fact I know you can get the 7400 in 30-06 in carbine length.  It would work well at those distances as accuracy isn't an issue.  All that said, I shot a meaty on the move at 50 yds with a 30-06 Browning A-Bolt in the neck two years ago.  DRT.  

IMG_2364.jpeg

I have a 30-06 and I have shot deer from 20-200 yards. I agree with one of the posters above. Site the rifle in at 100, but practice at all ranges so are comfortable how it shoots and where to aim. Get comfortable with all ranges so you are prepared for any opportunity that arises. 

No need to over-analyze  bullet choice for deer hunting with chamberings like the 30-06 or many other standard chamberings.

ANY expanding bullet that your rifle shoots accurately will get the job done and with decent shot placement the deer will not go far.

Most stories of bullets "penciling" through and not expanding are just that,, STORIES.. It is a great excuse for somebody who THINKS he made a good shot, but did not, and cannot confirm it because the animal was not recovered.

Actually,  although I have no experience with them, I suspect that most  any deer drilled the boiler room with a FMJ  is not going very far either.

• Like 3

The .30-06 is fine for close shots.  But you can improve it's performance at close range with the right loads.  I assume you don't hand load.  High velocity is the enemy of bullet performance and only the best bullets will hold together when hitting a deer at close range if fired from a high velocity round.  

For your situation where all shots will be close, I'd advise looking into the reduced recoil rounds.  They have lower velocities as well as less recoil.  That may even improve your accuracy.  They are fine performers out to 200 yards and the bullets are designed to perform at closer ranges while traveling at 100 yard speeds.

You may also want to consider taking only neck shots just above the shoulders if you are close.  This tends to ruin a lot less meat than will a shoulder shot at close range.

• Like 1