Reloading For Deer Hunting?

Lawdwaz

I guess this could go in a couple other sub forums but I planted it here.  Mods move at your whim.........

For those that reload for their deer hunting, what is your bullet of choice?  Specifically; caliber, chambering, weight, powder etc.

Have you killed many deer with it and have you had failures you'd blame on that bullet?

I'm bored and thought I'd fire thing up in light of the approx. 90 days until gun season opens. :)

• Like 1

I reload almost every center fire rifle and handgun I shoot. I have killed deer with 3 handgun cal’s 6mm rem br 100gr sp, 35rem 180gr. Ssp. And 44mag 180 gr xtp, 210gr hp, 240gr xtp. When I hunt with a handgun I mostly use the 44mag and I only use 1 of 2 powders H-110 or 296 and only use cci-350 primers. I use 1 of 2 guns DW-HV8 or a SW-629DX 83/8’s. I have killed 14 deer with a handgun. 12 including my first deer with one of the 44mags.

In rifle I reload for my 444 marlin. I use a 265gr. Flat point and ether IMR-4198 or H-4198 and REM 91/2 primers. I have killed 8 deer with this load.

I reload even though for our hunting most factory ammo is sufficient.

The bullets I like are Woodleighs.  They expand a lot and hold together great.

The last load I took a deer with was a 200 gr Woodleigh out of a .338 federal, it ran about 2700fps.

I hit him as he turned up hill.  Into one shoulder, through the spine and lodged under the skin on the flank.  Dropped like a rock.  Frankly, I was very surprised the bullet didn't exit, but it expanded over 2x dia. and weighed 178.9grs.

Because of the amount of shooting I do I have to load my own ammo especially for rifles and handguns in order to afford to play. I have also been forced to load non toxic shotshells so I can use my older non proofed for steel shotguns.

The rifle I have killed the most Deer with is a bolt action 280 Remington and I have been using the exact same load for near 40 years. 60.5 gr Norma MRP and Nosler 150 gr bullets, both the partition and the old solid base. Deer for the most part fall where they stand so basically being a sure bet with good shot placement I have never had any reason to change a  thing.

I did a lot of Deer hunting with a shotgun at one time and always used factory loaded slugs.

Al

Edited by airedale

150gr Woodleigh Weldcore FP in .30-30 for my Savage 1899.  Why?  Because I can.

150gr Interlocks for my '06 but I have some 180gr NP leftover loaded from when I went to Alaska last year.

250gr Barnes TSX for my .450 Marlin.

139gr Interlocks for the .284 Win because $75/box for factory ammo (if you can find it) is cccrazy man!

I reload for myself as well as my sons .

For me , I reload for the NEF 25-06 using 117 gr Sierra SP (#1630) and 53 gr of H4831 . Have taken several deer with this load . I was using Remington Core-bonds but they were too pricey ( over $30 a box) . I also loaded for my Contender 7-30 waters using 130 gr Sierra 7 mm SSPB #7250 and 32 gr of H335 . I didn't use the Contender much but shot a doe with a reload that I hadn't fire formed yet but it did the job .

I reload for two of my sons that have 270's . I had them both try a reload in their rifles to make sure they would fit and not stick in their chambers as not all chambers are exactly the same even in the same brand of rifle . Anyway I use the 130 gr Sierra Game King (#1820)and 57 gr of Reloader 19 . Both sons have taken deer with these reloads ..240 gr Hornaday XTP with 23.5 gr of Winchester 296 .

I prefer using CCI primers in all of my reloading .

I reload for 30-06, 35rem 358win 35whelen 41 mag 44mag 45 colt and 10mm. My favorite load for the whelen and 358 is the 200gn Barnes with superformance powder. I'm 3for 3 with these loads 2 with the whelen and 1 with the 358. Combined tracking 0 ft I haven't had a deer take a step after being shot with those loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warning  --- For anyone starting to do any reloading .Do Not  use any of the reloading information on here . These loads have been worked up and may not be suitable for your rifle or pistol and could be dangerous and cause injury . Get a reloading book . Start at the lower load and work your way up .  Be Safe !

• Like 5

I have loaded all of  my centerfire hunting ammo for over 30 years.  I have shot deer, antelope, caribou and moose with a number of jacketed lead bullets, and although some expanded more rapidly than others ( notably the Nosler ballistic tip) I never had anything that I would regard as a bullet failure.

Perhaps 15 years ago I decided to give Barnes X type bullets a try in my 7mm08  I was very impressed with both the accuracy and the performance on game, and since I have gone to Barnes  bullets for all of my hunting loads in my 7mm08, .280 Rem and 9.3 x 62.

In my 7mm08 I load the 120 Barnes TTSX with RL-15, for a MV of around 3000fps.

In my .280 I load the 140 Barnes TTSX with RL-22 for a MV of about 3000fps.

In the 9.3 I load the 250 Barnes TSX  for a MV of around 2500 fps.

I use Winchester large rifle primers for all of my hunting loads.

These bullets nearly always exit .  They kill game as quickly as any bullet I have ever used and they don't seem to cause as much bloodshot and mangled meat as some other bullets.

Between the 3 rifles I have shot perhaps 20 -25 deer with them, as a conservative estimate.

Edited by Pygmy

I reload all of my calibers but my main hunting calibers are for 

308 win.(Encore handgun)  - Hornady 130 gr SP over 39.5 grains of H4895 (reduced recoil load) Remington Magnum primer

30-06 -165 gr Sierra Game king over 51 grains of 4007SSC with CCI primers

270 Win- 130 gr Nosler Accubond over 50.5 gr of 4007SSC with CCI Primers

357 magnum- 158 gr Winchester Jacketed hollow point over 7.5 gr Unique with CCI primers. 

Yep I do and it's a lot cheaper to reload than buy in the long run 

wife and I hunt with revolvers mine 44 SRH with 21 grains of 2400 under a 240 grain xtp have had great results . Wife's is a gp- 100 357 mag , 158 grain xtp over 14 grains of 2400, first year but tons of positive reviews from guys using the 158 grain xtp on deer. 

I will be reloading for the boys 30/30 and my grand dads 300 savage for next year though . 

22 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Yep I do and it's a lot cheaper to reload than buy in the long run 

wife and I hunt with revolvers mine 44 SRH with 21 grains of 2400 under a 240 grain xtp have had great results . Wife's is a gp- 100 357 mag , 158 grain xtp over 14 grains of 2400, first year but tons of positive reviews from guys using the 158 grain xtp on deer. 

I will be reloading for the boys 30/30 and my grand dads 300 savage for next year though . 

i see the 2400 it generates a bit more velocity than the unique that I am using in the 357 mag, but dam, that is about twice the amount of powder to do it. 

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

i see the 2400 it generates a bit more velocity than the unique that I am using in the 357 mag, but dam, that is about twice the amount of powder to do it. 

I haven't shot the 14 grains over my chronograph yet with this bullet but when I was hunting with my 357 black hawk I used 13 grains of 2400 under a 180 grain hard cast and I was getting consitant high1290 to 1300 fps out of that load. 

• Like 1

Load for a .243, 7mm-08, .308, .250 Savage, .30-06 and a .357 magnum. I used to use Nosler Ballistic Tips but have switched to Accubonds. 90 grains in the .243, 140 in 7mm-08, 150 in the .308 and .30-06, and 100 in the Savage.

i would guess I have killed 15 deer with the 06, 15 with the 7-08, 7 or so with the .243, 2 or 3 with the .308, and 2 last year with the .250-it was new to me last year.

i shoot 158 grain Hornady in my .357, over 16 grains of H-110.

Will

Good to see the usual suspects are still reloading and some new guys chiming in. 

Last week I rolled some more 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for the 7mm-08.  44 grains of RL15 makes for a great shooting load.

I only have a dozen loaded cases for my 243 so they'll be made in the next few weeks.  I like the 80 grain Barnes TTSX behind 45 grains of H4350.  Super fast at around 3100fps and very accurate.

My 260 Remington needs some rounds loaded too so I'll use 44 grains of H4350 to propel the 123 grain Hornady AMax bullets.  

I've never killed with the 260 but have with both of the other guns in the listed loads.  Until just a few years ago my rifle hunting for deer was restricted to the state of Pennsylvania.  When the fine people in charge here in New York FINALLY figured out that hunting with centerfire rifles was the right thing to allow us crazy bastards in the western end of the state to use, I rejoiced. :)

I still have to pinch myself when I think about it; RIFLES in WNY?  Wow..............I'd have bet all the tea in China that would never be legal.  :)

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

Good to see the usual suspects are still reloading and some new guys chiming in. 

Last week I rolled some more 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for the 7mm-08.  44 grains of RL15 makes for a great shooting load.

I only have a dozen loaded cases for my 243 so they'll be made in the next few weeks.  I like the 80 grain Barnes TTSX behind 45 grains of H4350.  Super fast at around 3100fps and very accurate.

My 260 Remington needs some rounds loaded too so I'll use 44 grains of H4350 to propel the 123 grain Hornady AMax bullets.  

I've never killed with the 260 but have with both of the other guns in the listed loads.  Until just a few years ago my rifle hunting for deer was restricted to the state of Pennsylvania.  When the fine people in charge here in New York FINALLY figured out that hunting with centerfire rifles was the right thing to allow us crazy bastards in the western end of the state to use, I rejoiced. default_smile3.gif

I still have to pinch myself when I think about it; RIFLES in WNY?  Wow..............I'd have bet all the tea in China that would never be legal.  default_smile3.gif

And you can shoot them on Sunday!!! Lol