usual prevailing wind direction

Doc

Is there actually anywhere in NYS in a hunting scenario where you can actually have a 1,000 yard shot? Any clubs with this much yardage to shoot and practice?

Yes for sure there are some fields in the 1000 yard ranges in central ny fingerlakes or damn near 1000 anyway....olean rod and gun club has 600 yard range

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Is there actually anywhere in NYS in a hunting scenario where you can actually have a 1,000 yard shot? Any clubs with this much yardage to shoot and practice?

Forbes near Albany is the only sanctioned 1000yd range in NY.

Invited to shoot there just once; fun time!

1000yd range in PA that is open to public a few days/month or was; haven't kept up on that..... 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Yes for sure there are some fields in the 1000 yard ranges in central ny fingerlakes or damn near 1000 anyway....olean rod and gun club has 600 yard range

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ah, what I refer to is the flatlands of NYS. Still didn't think there was that distance.Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 8:34 PM, ....rob said:

yepper, I don't know what "sanctioned" means,  nra approved? but I'm glad forbes in colonie is still open, they used to have to shut down a road for us to shoot 1,000yds, and they did that rarely.

the BPCR shoots were in wilton, not far off the northway exit 16 maybe? been decades,so don't hold me to the exit number the sunshine truck cap compny was nearby, that I remember he made me a cap just be fore we moved.... but dave hicks the son of the fur/sang buyer in Hartford is among the top 5 shooters in the world, or was, and either he or don Hamilton in indian lake could tell you right where they are currently shooting bpcr, those ranges are 600 to 1,000 yards.

as you head north out of indian lake and pass the cedar river golf course don's gunshop and home is on the right as you climb the hill.  I'm sure if you've driven from indian to blue mtn you've seen it.

and no, there is NO hunting scenario anywhere in the world where there is a Hunting1,000 yard shot... tha't is not hunting,  it's shooting not hunting.

Edited by slickrockpack

This turned out amazingly consistent with most of the replies coming back with "westerly winds, or "north-westerly". I was surprised by the north-westerly answers, but now that I think of it, we never do seem to get pure west winds.

Many days of northwest winds during deer hunting season most years. Last year, the term prevailing winds was thrown out the window as winds came in from so many different directions, given the unusual mild conditions we experienced.  Even the magical north wind that  usually occurs, did not happen here. Hunting tactics from the norm changed last year, as a result.