usual prevailing wind direction

Doc

No idea, never heard of repetitveness.  Maybe it is time to move the thread back towards wind direction.  No more math questions please.  I see "west" in a lot more posts that "east".  Any other theories as to why that might be?

Edited by wolc123
spelling correction

Just joking wolc23.

I play the wind as it is when I head to my spots. I have some that are in little valleys and some on ridge lines. The wind is always just a bit different. So I just sit where the wind is in my face. The nice thing about hunting from the ground, if the wind changes, you can move to compensate. 

I have been hunting from the ground more lately and being able to move easily as wind changes direction is a big plus.   I picked up one of those light weight, hammock chairs, with a single pedestal that straps easily to any tree and makes it real easy to move around.   When you are on the ground, you can always have the wind from the best direction.  That could be part of the reason why the last two mature bucks I killed were from the ground.   Also, bucks have a tough time getting old if they don't learn how to avoid danger from above.  

16 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Physics might explain the prevailing west wind.   We have day and night because the earth is round and spins, like on an axis, at one revolution per day, while orbiting the sun at one revolution per year.  Because the sun rises in the east, the earth's daily rotation must be towards the west.  If not, then those folks to the west would see the sunrise earlier than those to the east.    What we feel as "wind", may be air standing still, but the ground below it rotating towards the west.  Newton's law say's that a body at rest stays at rest, unless acted on by a force.   Local weather disturbances may provide that "force" and cause the wind to temporarily deviate from the prevailing westerly direction.  Knowing the diameter of the earth, it would be easy to calculate the average velocity of the west wind over a long period of time.   It is quite a stretch to think that this stuff happens as it does by random chance and without a divine creator.                    

Question, did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night?

You combined Physics, Science, Newton and Jesus in one post. Amazing!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

So what effect does the rotation of the earth and wind have on a Jesus bullet?

Jesus bolt man. The one where you can shoot at game way further than practicing and still hit like a laser guided tomahawk missile.

• Like 3

some folks with lotta extra time.'

a guy once complained to my grandpa that he thought  his own hounds weren't that good, grandpa said its because you make too much money, if you were poor youd be doing nothing but running the hounds and theyd be great, you don't run them because you have money to go other things....

lotta thinking too much on here too...I was guiding a  guy shooting crows once and it started to snow, he dead serious asked me if he should change choke tubes and if the snow would effect his pattern...less talk, more do

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

so if I shoot east or west it is just bullet drop becasue of the spin of the earth, but if I shoot north and south I have to compensate for drop and windage becasue of the rotation?  lol

Only if your shooting at extended ranges. The Coriolis effect on shooting out to 300 yards is negligible.If shooting at 1000 yards, the bullet impact if shooting north should be towards the left and vice versa if shooting south.  

Edited by ATbuckhunter
put 100 instead of 1000 for last sentance

How many people here have actually shot at 1000 yds?

Everything comes into play at that range. Pooh-pooh and laugh at the reality of it, but the Earth's rotation, time of year and even the time of day come into play at that range. Not to mention simple things like temperature, humidity, and general wind direction. The shooters who can hit consistently at 1000 yds are indeed a special breed of cat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philoshop said:

How many people here have actually shot at 1000 yds?

Everything comes into play at that range. Pooh-pooh and laugh at the reality of it, but the Earth's rotation, time of year and even the time of day come into play at that range. Not to mention simple things like temperature, humidity, and general wind direction. The shooters who can hit consistently at 1000 yds are indeed a special breed of cat.

well I enjoyed shooting blackpowder at 1,000 yards in NY but could never stand up with the likes of davy hicks or don Hamilton, but in wonderful Wyoming Philoshop 1,000 yards is handgun range!

and they shoot for 5 shot group...come on out!  every June you'll be in heaven!

start in sundance and then on to cody for real long range, but that is rifle out to 2,700 yards.

super wonderful people and come a few days early and the companies and folks will set you up with loaner equipment or set their scopes up on your gun for you ...good fine people here and if you're like me the second you see 10 year olds hitting 5inch targets at 1200 yards you'll want the borrowed rig!:drinks:

MOAROCK.jpg

5701307b93360.image.jpg

wyoming-wind-sock.jpg

• Like 1