I think I am going to purchase an Ozonics

ApexerER

I am not even sure why I am posting this because I am expecting a lot of criticism along with the post that it is snake oil, just hunt the wind, I am not a woodsman etc. I have been intrigued about it for several years now. I have read everything I can find on it and the overwhelming majority of the people that own it swears it works. When it was $500, I wouldn't spend the $$...at $400 still wasn't able to make myself commit. Cabela's has it onsale for $299 so I called Field and Stream and they said they will match the price. I figured what the heck. I am going to run and pick it up on lunch tomorrow. I figured if someone told me my Car, Boat, Snowmobile, 4 wheeler would be better/Faster for $300 I would spend it in a nano second so why not spend $300 and see if my hunting experience is better....

No criticism from me it is your money and you can spend it any way you want but I will tell you what I know. Ozone odor removers are nothing new, they used to peddle them at the State and County fairs for many years. Large enclosed dog kennel operations use them to keep the smell of urine down. I looked at them several times and can tell you they themselves emit a distinct odor that I can easily smell myself. While the exiting air has a pleasant clean air smell to me it is not natural, if I can smell it a Deer will easily detect it. Anything a Deer smells that is not something they are familiar with will send them on their way.

Al

Edited by airedale

Just because it's something I likely would not use myself, doesn't mean I think no one else should. Give it a go! And let us know how it worked for you. I don't personally know anyone who has used Ozonic's, so perhaps I'll learn something. Best of luck with your new purchase!

• Like 1

Just because it's something I likely would not use myself, doesn't mean I think no one else should. Give it a go! And let us know how it worked for you. I don't personally know anyone who has used Ozonic's, so perhaps I'll learn something. Best of luck with your new purchase!

Yes you do know someone that has one...
  • Like 1

Ozonics and use of ozone is such a hard thing for me to grasp. On face value, it seems crazy we go to that point to reduce scent signature - coming from a guy who uses cell cams, lol.

What is really intriguing to me is that darn near everyone I have talked with about it and used Ozonics is that they believe in the product. Some of these people are people who are vested in the hunting industry and their feedback isn't dependent upon saying it works "to pay the bills." They use it to hunt and kill bucks and part of their career is based on producing results (big buck kills). I mean it is 100% in the "for" camp with these people. It seems like so many things would be a barrier for this to work right but I haven't met someone who I value and believe their feedback who has said it wasn't worth the buy. Either its the current generation of pixie dust (scent killer spray for the prior one) or it really works. All of these people say the deer clearly react when they hit what they believe it is the scent stream - the deer acknowledge it but it's not a "danger" response and doesn't result in bucks boogering out of the area.

I do like the idea of using ozone to reduce scent/smell on things like release straps and other items that washing is impractical on.

I have had one for three years and use it both while archery hunting as well as firearms hunting.  My conclusion is that it's not magic, it's not fool proof, but if used in conjunction with good hunting practices it does help.  I always play the wind the best possible, however if you have a decent deer population there is a rather good chance that a few deer will end up down wind of you at some point or another.  What I have seen with this unit is that the deer are not completely oblivious to anything, but they do not blow and stomp feet and scare off the rest of the deer around you .  Typically they are alert, but just move along on their way and the rest of the deer that are not down wind of you remain oblivious.  Myself and my father have noticed this the entire time we have used the unit.  This exact same thing was noticed by the crews of Midwest Whitetail (which don't seem to push products they don't believe in).  Like I said, it's not magic but it does help.

Ozonics aren't meant to completely eliminate your odor. They are meant to use as part of your odor eliminating system. If you follow wired to hunt Mark Kenyon just went on a Montana white tail hunt where he used this item. He talks how coupled with his system the deer smelled something but not enough to spoke it out. You still need to be cognizant of reducing your odor trail and still hunt the wind in my opinion.

I listened to Mark's podcast - he echoes what I have heard as well, but I forget exactly, a couple things he said makes me think he is a little green on scent control. His approach reminds me of what people did around the "age of carbon" and mimics a lot of what Eberhart says. That and the fact that he was hunting very very lightly pressured deer - that alone reduces his endorsement for me in that scenario. If his story was in Michigan where he lives, it'd be a little more impactful I think.

Well I ended up ordering it from Cabela's. A friend gave me a $20 off coupon and I remembered I had a $100 gift card so it only cost me a little less than $150 out of pocket. I am still not 100% sold on this thing but I can live with a  $150 mistake if it turns out to be one. I will post my honest review for those interested and update thru out the season...

• Like 2