2016 HuntingNY Muzzleloader Harvest thread

WNYBuckHunter

Post up pics of your 2016 muzzleloader season deer here!

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to have comments in addition to posting the photo / story here.

• 4 weeks later...

I killed this medium sized doe on Tuesday morning, 10/18 up in DMU 6C with my T/C Omega 50 cal.  The temperature was predicted to get up close to 80 F later that day, so I ran her down to Lowville for processing.  After I shot, she ran back towards my in-laws house, making for an easy recovery.  The tenderloins were very good with breakfast the next morning.  Our girls were happy that now they can start having venison tacos again (we had used our last pack of grind from last year a few days before I left for my ML hunting trip).   

I have to score another one for the Bible with this one.  I headed out that morning a bit before sunrise (with my ML uncapped), but I turned back when I remembered that I had forgot my normal weekday routine of reading a couple pages.  I went back and did that, plus assembled and read the instructions for my new tree umbrella (which I had also forgotten and rain was in the forecast).  By the time I finished those two tasks, it was past sunrise, so I capped my ML for the walk back to my intended spot, near a swamp where I had spooked a couple unidentified deer the prior morning.    The leaves were quiet, thanks to an overnight soaking rain, and I was headed into the wind.   I had not gone far, when I noticed the doe off to my left, standing broadside, unobstructed, about 25 yards away.

My father in law, who does not hunt but had been up for a while, heard the shot and went outside.   I heard him yell "did you get one?" and I replied "I think so".   While I was looking where she had stood for hair or blood, I heard him yell "Over here"   He found her piled up in a little clearing behind his barn.   As I was gutting her, another doe ran across the back of the clearing.   I did not see any antlers over the week, other than little buttons on one I flushed out a few days later while still hunting.  His momma, a slightly larger doe, offered me a nice 40 yard, unobstructed, quartering away shot but I am saving my "either/or" tag for Southern zone crossbow season, or late ML.      

doe.JPG

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

it started at 4:00 pm Thanksgiving day... Supper for me didn't happen until 9:00pm. first deer the smaller one was taken at about 120 yards. it was a great shot. the deer  expired in five seconds. that right there was what its all about  clean kill and smoke. I hurried as with beans still in the field i might see another one. quickly i retrieved the doe, and with her safely behind my ground blind  i jumped back into the blind. fifteen minutes later three stepped out. It seemed to be a magnet because the first of the three that came out walked right over to where i shot the first. she covered the 80 yards rather quickly . well this is where the story comes to an end , she gave me the pose when she turned to look at thee other two deer in the back of the field. well she dropped on the spot. second shot second clean kill ... Happy Thanksgiving to all espically my wife who puts up with me and my insanity. thompson triumph barnes mz expznders 80 mesured grains of blackhorn and winchester 209 primers

deer muzzleloader number 1.jpg

deer muzzloader number 2.jpg

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

i for got to put this here  this buck was a week ago... I saw this bruiser late in the day . He was the only deer in the field at 200 yards. It took him a couple minutes to turn for the good broad-side shot He came straight out of the back ,the north end. My blind is set up at the base of some trees at the front of the field, the south end. Ka-pow he went 40 yards . Heart shot, broken right front shoulder.  The right antler is broken off he was most likely an eight. small thin tines really no mass at all but he was a good bodied deer I hope my muzzle loader is a girl because I just love that gun

buck rack attack 2.jpg

buck broken antlers 2.jpg

• Like 14

Well. 19th gun season ended for me with a first of no deer. Had no real opportunity's on any big guys even during bow. Barely was seeing any doe. As of Sunday night me and the kids were up all night barfing with a nasty stomach bug. Wife came home early from work and the snow was really coming down, she sat down next to me and said " didn't you get a big buck a couple years ago during a snow storm ?". Really sweetheart !?! How could she say that. So I decided to take a hot shower and if I felt up to it, bundle my butt up and hit the stand... Well, I did. Now I will tell you there was a few times I thought I was gonna have a rearend eruption and after I shot I almost puked a few times, but this unlucky buck came out into the cut corn @ 125yrds. Hit em and he dropped like a rock. Not my biggest but a decent buck and he's got bad Genetics anyways.. was 2.5 and only a 6, 17" wide. We have a couple bucks on the farm I wanted dead and he was on the list. Very happy to fill at least one tag this year !!

IMG_20161214_170455733.thumb.jpg.c94612eIMG_20161214_170419384_TOP.thumb.jpg.b0a33867.thumb.jpeg.96e5755cb2576201cec3f96

• Like 29

Ok  here is another one for the thread... I got this guy after skipping out of work early I was sitting in my ground blind when four walked out at 210 yards. They made it to 170 and thats when I made my choice on witch one to shoot , mama and the babies or the four point. well you see who lost the draw.  dropped him.

Four point muzzleloader 2016.jpg

• Like 18

IMG_5534.JPGIMG_5540.JPGThis morning I killed a NT 8 pointer in East Aurora. I watched him for over an hour before I could kill him as property lines are close......

The shot was at about 35 yards and he only went about 20 before piling up.  Although he was on the right side of the line at the shot, I went down and skidded him over 50 yards so there were no problems although anyway you slice it, fresh snow tells the tale. :)

I new he had a funky rack of course because I'd been watching him so long but after I looked a little closer, I saw some skank around the back of his neck.  He was missing a big area of hair and had green goop frozen to his remaining hair in the area. Really gross looking!

I talked to a few friends and even got a hold of the local EnCon officer.  My buddies were spooked by it but the DEC guy said skin it and see what your eyes and nose tell you. 

I gutted and dragged him back to the truck and brought him home. After much thought, I decided I'd donate him through the local butcher shop. I figured I'd let them tell me what they thought.....they said no sweat, we will take it!  

I just didn't like the looks of it; the green pussy frozen matter, hairless patches and lack of an usable flesh wound from fighting or a bullet/arrow soured me.  Ive never had to do that before and I hope I never do again. 

• Like 7

Good Morning,

I was lucky enough to take this buck yesterday morning while hunting with my Dad.  I was watching a hay lot that has been a good feeding spot lately with the snow on the ground.  I got to the spot around 6:45, and at 7:30, this guy appeared out about 80 yards.  It was a bit foggy where I was, and so all I could see was the silhouette, and I was not sure how big of a buck he was.  I brought up my CVA Wolf, and squeezed off the shot.  The shot broke his back, and when I got to him, he had crawled into the woodline, and at which point I finished him off.  Dad and I got him out, and he is now off to be cut up.  I will most likely do a Euro mount, as I personally prefer that to a full mount.  His rack has 9 points, and measures 17" inside, and from the top of the skull to the tallest tine, is 11.5".  A great way to end the season.  He is my best buck to date, and my second deer with the muzzleloader.  Enjoy.

IMG_4301.JPG

IMG_4307.PNG

• Like 24

Wife has been on bed rest since beginning of November, so i had veyr little chance to get out this year. Finally got out Saturday night to a spot a group of doe were out most of that morning feeding in a cut and turned under corn field. They came back out at somewheres around 415pm. The first adult doe that made it to the lane i could rest my hand/gun against my tree with, I would attempt the shot. About 85 yards out the first doe presents her self, im steady rested against the tree, i shoot and hear the "crack" of the shockwave hitting what sounded just like her rib cage.. She took off and i could tell she was hurting.  With the blood at the hit site in the snow, along with the first 40 yards out of the field, i thought to myself "done deal", it looks like a massacre, and the "crack sound" sounded good.... i was wrong.. I gave her 20 mins or so and started the track in hopes to get in and get her out in day light, and or a second shot "just in case" before dark. Well after bumping her about 125 yards in with no shot. i backed right out. got permission from all nearby land owners to track her.... went back in the following morning, We tracked her roughly  "650 yards" until her first bed, and from there to the "roughly" 920 total yard mark where she ceased(using the huntstand app).. there were more than a dozen beds.  I felt absolutely horrible about all of this, but the coyotes got to her first and had her tore up from the rib cage back. In fact i believe we pushed a couple coyotes off her when we found her at 8:00am. She bled like it was being dumped from a pal the whole way since the hit site, to her final bed. Thankful for the snow. The shot hit the back of her shoulder low, and entered her chest right above the white belly hair, and came out just into the white belly hair, basically creating a drain plug.. I wasnt going to post this here, but I still called in the tag so i figured i will.  

20161218_084441.jpg

• Like 10

My FIL, buddy and I met this morning at 745am. Temp was showing 9 with a real feel of 4 and it was chilly and crunchy. Everyone saw deer today but the shot opportunities did not present themselves throughout the day. I ended up seeing 17 deer today which was incredible. Some may have been repeats but I don't care because I had an absolute blast. One sighting was a herd of at least 7 that skirted past me early and out over 120 yards in the hardwoods so I could just watch them trot on by. We regrouped for lunch and coffee and headed out about 130pm. I set up in my favorite spot on the ground in the late season. About 315 I heard a deer blowing and snorting off to my left. I caught a glimpse of the headed out of the area behind me. About 15 minutes later I can hear deer crunching their way to me. I got the CVA Kodiak up and scoped the first one as she stopped behind a tree. Finally she stepped out and presented me a broadside shot at about 35 yards. I hit a little low and back but she bedded down within feet of hitting her. I reloaded and took a step to the left and she stood up and the second shot put her down for good. Not sure what happened with the first shot but I have all off season to figure it out. I could have been shivering, lol. Glad she didn't suffer long and she will be shared amongst friends and colleagues workers this holiday season. 

IMG_20161220_160730755.jpg

IMG_20161220_160809219.jpg

IMG_20161220_114622250_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161220_165649448.jpg

• Like 7

Worked a night shift, slept a couple hours, woke up, drove to property, and was in stand by 230. About 238 I heard crunching behind me. She came trotting in with a button buck. Took a 50 yard chip shot and she dropped immediately. She slid about 20 yards down snow covered ravine. Saw a total of 8 deer on last day. They were mostly in apples digging for food.

20161220_184720.jpg

20161220_151607.jpg

• Like 8