Opening Day Redlined!

njg0621

So long story short I saw two good bucks opening day.  The eight in the pic I have looked SMALL compared to the 10pt he came out with! I have never seen a deer as big as this mainframe 10pt! The were both at 150yds and wouldn't come towards me for anything! I can't sleep thinking about this buck now.  My question is do I shoot this 8 point or hold out for the big 10? Man if he is in range it is gonna be a tough decision.  

09230045.JPG

09220016.JPG

So long story short I saw two good bucks opening day.  The eight in the pic I have looked SMALL compared to the 10pt he came out with! I have never seen a deer as big as this mainframe 10pt! The were both at 150yds and wouldn't come towards me for anything! I can't sleep thinking about this buck now.  My question is do I shoot this 8 point or hold out for the big 10? Man if he is in range it is gonna be a tough decision.  

09230045.JPG

09220016.JPG

• Like 1

Depends. if you already have a bunch of big bucks under your belt, what's the benefit of another 8? In my case, I don't. That 8 would be risking its life coming within range regardless of the 10. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Or in this case an 8 in range is better than waiting and not getting either one :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wooly said:

Make it a game time decision.

There's always that chance you'll never see either one of them again now that your buggin' out about it.

That's usually how these kind of post end anyhow.

Isn't that the truth! We have deer all over our lease on camera that non of us ever see in the stand!

15 hours ago, stubby68 said:

Why ask others what you should shoot. It is your hunt not ours take the one you want. 

Because that's what you do on a deer hunting forum isn't it? I just figured it was a question to ask because I am torn on what to do.  I mean obviously at the end of the day I will make my own decision.  Why reply topic if that is your answer? lol Anyways.....

What I didn't tell you guys is the night after I saw these giants my buddy shot a buck.  We have a rule that you can only shoot 6's or better on this property.  He told me he shot a small basket rack six (Which I was already pissed off enough at knowing we had good bucks on the property).  We ended up finding the deer after pushing out the entire woodlot tracking and it was a dink 4 point! I lost my mind and was seriously p*ssed off.  He says he thought it had brow tines and was a six.  So what are your feelings on this situation? How would you have handled it? I freaked out yelled and screamed.... I wasn't as pissed about him shooting a little buck as I was about pushing out a woodlot that I knew the two big boys were in after dark.

7 hours ago, njg0621 said:

Because that's what you do on a deer hunting forum isn't it? I just figured it was a question to ask because I am torn on what to do.  I mean obviously at the end of the day I will make my own decision.  Why reply topic if that is your answer? lol Anyways.....

What I didn't tell you guys is the night after I saw these giants my buddy shot a buck.  We have a rule that you can only shoot 6's or better on this property.  He told me he shot a small basket rack six (Which I was already pissed off enough at knowing we had good bucks on the property).  We ended up finding the deer after pushing out the entire woodlot tracking and it was a dink 4 point! I lost my mind and was seriously p*ssed off.  He says he thought it had brow tines and was a six.  So what are your feelings on this situation? How would you have handled it? I freaked out yelled and screamed.... I wasn't as pissed about him shooting a little buck as I was about pushing out a woodlot that I knew the two big boys were in after dark.

if you knew it was a 4 pointer you'd still have an obligation to go get it.  nothing you can do about it now and chances are they still are there.  deer take noisy people activity differently then predatory hunting them type of activity.  be open about why you're upset though so you're both on the same page with antler guidelines versus pushing the wood lot.  your buddy made a mistake.  tell him it's fine but he has to learn from the experience and have a continued honest effort.  if he assumed brow tines then he can't do that.  if it was a halfass effort to look for them then he can't be doing that either.  you look and you either see them or you don't.  before wiseass antler restriction comments come out the point isn't whether it had brow tines or not.  it's that you both had a set of guidelines and out of respect and fairness for the other you follow through with them.  if he continues to not do his honest part then share the point I made with him.  your friends so it shouldn't take anything more than talking about it.

• Like 1