Climbing Stand

Big Indian

Does anyone have a climber they really like? My current one is fine, a bit heavy but does the job, just looking to get a new one ( or used if I can get, I've been checking CL etc, but have not seen anything yet)

I want some input from guys/girls that are happy with theirs.I always get good feedback from all the great members here, so I eagerly await everyone's replies.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Big Indian

I've only ever tried one, the summit viper SD. I imagine there must be a better way for the cables to hook and unhook (they are a bit fiddly), but it feels very sturdy, it makes no sound when I'm in the tree, it's very comfortable because of the back rest. It weighs 20 lbs. There are some lighter ones, but not by much unless you want to give up the rail or the back rest or its footprint. I don't know how people spend hours in a tree without a back rest actually. I couldn't do it. Mini viper SD is a bit smaller (barely) but 18 lbs. I'd probably get the mini if I were buying another one today.

I got my summit last year for $199 during some crazy deal at gander mountain.

Some climbers are over 30 lbs. Wth!

Edited by Core

I have 2 summit vipers and they are my favorite by far. There are a few that are lighter but you will sacrifice comfort. Get the padded backpack straps and the foot stirrups and you'll be golden. If you do get a climber make sure it's an aluminum one, steel is really heavy. There is a slight learning curve to using them but once you get a routine down you will love it. I can unpack/pack and climb with mine about as silent as anything. I'll do 6-10 ALL day sits (never come down) a year and I'm never uncomfortable. I don't think you can beat a summit viper in any price range.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Another Summit Viper owner here. Wife bought it for me many years ago. Never have used another climber to compare but this baby is comfy !  A lot more comfy than my ladder stand. I've done as many as 5 dark to darks in a row in it. It's not light but I don't considerate it heavy either. 

I love my summit open shot. It's not the most comfortable option but it's light and sets up in under a minute. I don't have to set it on the ground at all I swing it off my back, put the base on the tree and then unstrap the seat and put it on the tree. Up I go. I've had API and Lone Wolf and like this one so much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I love my summit open shot. It's not the most comfortable option but it's light and sets up in under a minute. I don't have to set it on the ground at all I swing it off my back, put the base on the tree and then unstrap the seat and put it on the tree. Up I go. I've had API and Lone Wolf and like this one so much better

If I was buying one today, it would be the open shot.  Likely not as comfortable as the goliath, but without the rest, its much more maneuverable for bow.

• Like 1

Summit owns the climber market. They're super comfortable but for Bowhunting the rail gets in the way. I use a summit cobra, got an open front. They also make some w front rails that fold down somewhat. Most often though I use a lone wolf sit n climb. A little less comfortable but carrying it is much easier n it climbs better than the razor., the viper I use only w guns. You gotta learn to shoot twisted otherwise cause of the front rail. No comparison as far as noise, the lone wolf is much quieter both in climbing/set up and if you happen to drop top platform. Any of those two makers have fans as you can see but the lone wolf imo is better for bowhunting

Edited by Bowguy 1

I love my Summit Viper, been hunting out of it for 10 years, but if I were to upgrade, I would go to the Summit Goliath or the Titan.  The top section is a few inches wider.  I am 5'8" 180 and literally don't have elbow room to fit within the confines of the stand without sitting on an angle, especially with cold-weather clothing on.  I primarily bowhunt out of it, and have no issues with the bar in the way, as I stand up when I shoot.  I don't like open climbers without a bar.  The platform is too restrictive for me to feel safe without the bar around me.  Plus, I prefer to sit than lean while climbing.  The Titan has the wider top and longer platform, but the added weight might keep me from choosing that.  The new one with the mesh seat looked interesting, but not sure how comfortable it would be without the padded backrest.

2 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

I have a Summit, Lone Wolf and a X Stand. They all get the job done but that little X Stand is the bomb. Very easy to work and at like 11 pounds it can be carried all day. The Sumit would be the pick for all day sits but the  X and the Wolf get more use for tougher hunts

Interesting. I had the opportunity to buy the x-stand climber in great shape for $140 recently, but too many negative reviews for me to do it. It was the pricier one, too, with the butt rail.

If I was buying one today, it would be the open shot.  Likely not as comfortable as the goliath, but without the rest, its much more maneuverable for bow.

Exactly right. I don't need to be in a lazy boy but I do need to be set up quickly and quietly without sweating my you know what's off