On average how many days do you have to hunt to actually see deer in the woods ?

LJC

I think if I average it out it out over the years I have been hunting  its about 5 days in my area  maybe be more before I even seen anything.  Some times  you get lucky first day first hour . But over all it is Alot of time out there for me  befor I see anything . 

Edited by LJC

Really depends on where I hunt.  On LI private land I see deer every day.  Public land I often see deer daily if I hunt area's with high population.  Other areas on public land I can go sometimes a few days before seeing any activity usually no more than 3.

Up North in the ADK it can be hard and sometimes just seeing a doe is a victory.  Otherwise by the 5-7th day I usually start putting the puzzle together and that is when I usually start to see more deer including bucks.

The real factor is population.  Simply put if you have a good population you will see deer every day for the most part.  A few factors to consider, weather fronts, high temps 20 degrees above normal and if any doe are coming into heat will all affect deer movement.

• Like 1

Around home if I don't see a deer every sit it's a big disappointment! In the dacks it's a different story but I generally average a deer a day up there as well but I work a lot harder to see that 1.

If I had to spend 5 days in the woods to see a deer I would be in a different spot not counting the dacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I see deer pretty much every sit. Some of my stand set up's are in pretty thick cover for bow, so I will go some sits without seeing a deer, but if that happens, I usually see one on the way in or out.  Just lots of deer here in central Livingston Co.

I do remember last year's opening day, I never saw a deer which was really bad. I sat in the same tree a few years before that and saw dozens and passed up a few bucks.

I think if I average it out it out over the years I have been hunting  its about 5 days in my area  maybe be more before I even seen anything.  Some times  you get lucky first day first hour . But over all it is Alot of time out there for me  befor I see anything . 

Coming from the guy that's said he had enough money to buy half of the Catskills I don't understand how you can be complaining about not seeing deer in "your spot."

Either you suck at hunting or you are full of sh!t.

46 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Coming from the guy that's said he had enough money to buy half of the Catskills I don't understand how you can be complaining about not seeing deer in "your spot."

Either you suck at hunting or you are full of sh!t.

This year i saw  2  second day of bow season .

When I hunt private I see them much more often but I like hunting public most the time  less deer around .

Who said I was complaining?  Sparky 

• 3 weeks later...

So far this year, 6 days out, nuthin! Granted, almost every day I have been able to go out it has been high wind, down pours or a combination. probably over half the times out so far, I was only on stand an hour before bailing...pretty miserable conditions, but I went through the motions so I could at least say I was out. North country big woods hunting here too, no agriculture within several miles.

18 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

So far this year, 6 days out, nuthin! Granted, almost every day I have been able to go out it has been high wind, down pours or a combination. probably over half the times out so far, I was only on stand an hour before bailing...pretty miserable conditions, but I went through the motions so I could at least say I was out. North country big woods hunting here too, no agriculture within several miles.

Yep don't feel bad your not alone it happens.