Ethics on rainy hunts

TreeGuy

57 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

You missed my point.

What that you can't control all the variables such as the deer and the uncontrollable variables compounding? Yeah I got that, so in your post you wouldn't shoot at any deer because of those variables you can't control? To each their own I guess, you don't need to make a perfect shot every time only when you need too (like when it's raining). There is a saying it's better to be lucky than good.

8 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

What that you can't control all the variables such as the deer and the uncontrollable variables compounding? Yeah I got that, so in your post you wouldn't shoot at any deer because of those variables you can't control? To each their own I guess, you don't need to make a perfect shot every time only when you need too (like when it's raining). There is a saying it's better to be lucky than good.

lol... but if you're good a little bit of luck goes a long long ways.  I don't think he meant actually perfect, but more practically and ethically "perfect".  if there's any doubts and he can't confidently predict it'll work out for the best then he doesn't let an arrow fly.  I think a vast majority of us I think would hunt that way.  I do.  if I let an arrow fly every part of my being thinks it's a dead deer standing.

• Like 2

I say this being very thankful I have a good job and family obligations....I envy the people that can be picky about their Hunting days...when my daughter starts indoor soccer week after next my Hunting opportunity will be Sunday mornings and I will be out there regardless of rain snow wind or temp

• Like 3

I personally won't hunt in the rain simply because I don't want to get wet. As far as ethics I think it should be the same if it is raining or not. If you are not sure you should not make the shot. If you do make the shot it is your obligation to follow up on that shot regardless of how long it takes, how far it goes, or what the conditions are.

Shot this doe two weekends ago when that hurricane was getting the Jersey shore all wet. Shot it double lung at under 20 yards and watched it go down ten seconds later 40 yards away. I absolutely love hunting a light rain, I won't hunt a downpour but have waited one out for an hour, also love to hunt a snowfall. I have shot many a deer in the rain and snow and never lost one.

IMG_5656.jpg

16 hours ago, chas0218 said:

See, you missed the point, because thats not at all what Im saying. The point is, you really dont have control over making a perfect shot at all, and that I feel that you should not purposely take a shot at a deer in conditions that make the likelihood of recovering that deer significantly less. Things can and do happen that affect your shot, so you saying "you don't need to make a perfect shot every time only when you need too (like when it's raining)" is really a falsity. In the next sentence you summed up the reality of it though, and unfortunately everyones luck runs out at some point.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Taylormike said:

Too many people out there are worried about everyone else.  Hunt if you want.  Matter of fact, I think it proves your dedication.  Next time it poors, I think I'll head out there.

LOL, it proves your dedication to take shots at deer when theres a high likelyhood that you wont be able to recover it? That has to be the dumbest thing Ive heard on here in a while, and thats saying alot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

See, you missed the point, because thats not at all what Im saying. The point is, you really dont have control over making a perfect shot at all, and that I feel that you should not purposely take a shot at a deer in conditions that make the likelihood of recovering that deer significantly less. Things can and do happen that affect your shot, so you saying "you don't need to make a perfect shot every time only when you need too (like when it's raining)" is really a falsity. In the next sentence you summed up the reality of it though, and unfortunately everyones luck runs out at some point.

Gotcha, I have had those "perfect" shots go wrong. The best thing for someone to do is practice and know their limitations. I know everyones' limitations are different so a perfect to me won't be the same for you. It is difficult to know where someone is coming from just by what they type I can't type what I feel is a perfect shot as I don't think you can either you just know what they are when they are presented. I would also like to mention that for me there are multiple perfect shots. I would be lying if the only perfect shot was slight quartering away 20 yards on a slight downhill grade. I made what I thought was a perfect shot on a buck 4 seasons ago. He was hard quartering away slightly point to the left, I put in front of his left rear hip and it exited out the chest cavity in his right front arm pit. I took out the fermoral artery, liver, right lung and bottom of the heart. He piled in 20'. It was literally a perfect shot it hit everything but his left lung. The link below shows the photos, I won't post because they are a little gruesome without the hide on.

http://s782.photobucket.com/user/chaston0218/library/Hunting Season 2012

• Like 1

I have had some of my best hunts on drizzly days and fog...wet foggy days seem to pull the deer to their feet...hunted gun in down pours...never bow hunt when I know there is a heavy rain coming..but misty and fog ..never miss them.That said..Will not gun hunt in foggy weather...tough enough not getting shot at on clear days around here.

• Like 3

I have had some of my best hunts on drizzly days and fog...wet foggy days seem to pull the deer to their feet...hunted gun in down pours...never bow hunt when I know there is a heavy rain coming..but misty and fog ..never miss them.That said..Will not gun hunt in foggy weather...tough enough not getting shot at on clear days around here.

I love love love whitetail hunting in a light misty gloomy day.. especially cool temps . See lots of buck movement these days like you said grow..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

When I was a lot younger, I can remember sitting on stand with the wind-whipped rain dripping off my beak, and the cheap old insufficient clothes completely soaked through. Today my personal comfort takes precedence over my hunting fanaticism ..... lol. Regarding recovery problems due to heavy, steady rains, I have had some first hand experience with that that seldom has ended happily. Right now I am listening to rain splattering on the house roof that I know full well would eliminate a blood trail completely in a very short time. I have always been told that a hunter should wait at least a half hour before taking to the trail even on hits that you feel rather good about. Well, if it is raining anywhere near what I am listening to right now, 1/2 hour would be enough to make "first blood" nearly impossible to find. So, when I combine that fact with my discomfort, the decision is made for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

Gotcha, I have had those "perfect" shots go wrong. The best thing for someone to do is practice and know their limitations. I know everyones' limitations are different so a perfect to me won't be the same for you. It is difficult to know where someone is coming from just by what they type I can't type what I feel is a perfect shot as I don't think you can either you just know what they are when they are presented. I would also like to mention that for me there are multiple perfect shots. I would be lying if the only perfect shot was slight quartering away 20 yards on a slight downhill grade. I made what I thought was a perfect shot on a buck 4 seasons ago. He was hard quartering away slightly point to the left, I put in front of his left rear hip and it exited out the chest cavity in his right front arm pit. I took out the fermoral artery, liver, right lung and bottom of the heart. He piled in 20'. It was literally a perfect shot it hit everything but his left lung. The link below shows the photos, I won't post because they are a little gruesome without the hide on.

http://s782.photobucket.com/user/chaston0218/library/Hunting Season 2012

I know what you mean, and I dont mean to come off like Im saying that a perfect shot has to be 20 yards slight quartering away or anything like that.

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

LOL, it proves your dedication to take shots at deer when theres a high likelyhood that you wont be able to recover it? That has to be the dumbest thing Ive heard on here in a while, and thats saying alot.

Wait a minute.  First off, no reason to attack or assume anything.  You don't know me and don't know my ethics whatsoever.  I was merely sticking up for a fellow hunter that was attacked for possibly deciding to hunt in the rain.  Btw, It's not unethical to hunt in rain.  You have a lot of great posts and I respect your opinion as you seem to be a true outdoorsman but I feel you jumped to conclusions on this one.

41 minutes ago, Taylormike said:

Wait a minute.  First off, no reason to attack or assume anything.  You don't know me and don't know my ethics whatsoever.  I was merely sticking up for a fellow hunter that was attacked for possibly deciding to hunt in the rain.  Btw, It's not unethical to hunt in rain.  You have a lot of great posts and I respect your opinion as you seem to be a true outdoorsman but I feel you jumped to conclusions on this one.

I didnt attack you or assume anything. I said that your statement was dumb, and it was in my opinion. Im allowed to have one of those lol. Dont take it as saying you are dumb, because I dont think you are.

• Like 1

Ethical or not I'm not real fond of tracking a wounded deer in the rain. I think it's the hunters call... I love hunting in the rain on the ground, but am not willing to risk losing the deer I worked so hard for. Totally different story with the gun.

• Like 3