One lung hit. Thoughts?

NonTypical

So this morning I had a very nice buck come in. At least a 140 class. I hit him broadside at 25 yds a little high but midship. The arrow exited the far side but stayed in him. As he ran under my tree, it broke off and both sides fell out. I had really good blood, but only a few bubbles here and there. I think I hit the tenderloins but may have clipped one lung on the far side, as it was a downward shot. This was a first for me. I tracked him about 300 yds before he went into some really thick stuff he started clotting up and lost blood. Any thoughts on whether he will survive on 1 lung or does anyone think he's a dead deer? I plan on going back in the am to search further. I have also made a few calls to deer search, but haven't heard back from anyone yet. 

• Like 1

I've recovered a couple one lung hits, including my friends who flew in from  the west coast and had 4 days to kill one with his stick bow . Shot on the 3rd afternoon found the next morning .

went perhaps 150 yards bedded at the edge of the woods looking back towards where shot .

3 guys grid search .

• Like 1

Chances of the deer surviving a broadhead through a lung are very low..Chances are you killed him.

The chances of you recovering him are somewhat better, but probably 50% would be optimistic, depending on circumstances ( like rain tonite)..

Good luck....I truly hope you find him.

• Like 1

For what it's worth I tracked that doe to within 30yds an hour after I shot her.  Couldn't find her and the next morning started again and she was right there.   You will find him and that's a bruiser that's tough to miss lying dead. Dog will definitely help.  

• Like 2

There is no rain forecasted until late in the day tomorrow here on Long Island. I plan on going out first thing in the morning to continue looking with or without deer search. It is tough because the briars and thickets he went into are so thick, I'll be doing the belly crawl looking for him. 

• Like 2

There were minimal bubbles on the shaft and very few when tracking, which lead me to think that I clipped the topped of one lung. There was fat only on the broad head and maybe the first 2 inches of the shaft. The first 150 yards or so I had excellent blood out of both the entrance and exit holes. 

That leaf probably had the most amount of bubbles that I came across, but bubbles none the less. I figured he was a dead deer, but sometimes I can second guess myself. It is very reassuring to hear what I suspected from others. Hopefully I will be able to get some sleep, as tomorrow morning cant come soon enough. 

As far as deer search goes, will the dog be able to continue tracking even if there is no more blood? Or does the dog need the blood trail to track?

That leaf probably had the most amount of bubbles that I came across, but bubbles none the less. I figured he was a dead deer, but sometimes I can second guess myself. It is very reassuring to hear what I suspected from others. Hopefully I will be able to get some sleep, as tomorrow morning cant come soon enough. 

I was told when I used deer search one year...that the dog is tracking your deer from the release of the interdigital gland between their hooves....this is why they need to smell the impact spot....then dog will pick your deers scent up..and will take you to the deer most times if the area hasn't been messed up by searching too much already...he said a one lung shot can live up to 5 to 7 days...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Try these two trackers for Deer Search if you have not already:

Lee Behrens (631)  283-2549 Southampton

Lou Dibiase (631) 499-8924 Commack

Dogs can continue to track even if the blood stops.Best bet is to wait and go in with a dog.

I've seen deer still alive hours later-some have been jumped from their beds the next day-with similar hits-especially after the arrow falls out and the blood stops.

Good Luck.

• Like 1