Emergency boot purchase need help.

zeus1gdsm

So I had a massive boot cracking leak on me this morning. On top of the 800g insulation and heavy wool socks not keeping my toes warm

I'm looking to up the insulation factor and get new boots. Found these so far.

7301e77e95bc622b107b5421cef38136.jpg

6d88444265b8eb08fd66506c2e7a0d37.jpg

Right inside my 100$ budget for boots.

I like the rubber boot concept as that's what I've used previously and a piece of land I have access to is predominantly swamp so that good 12-16 inches of waterproof protection provided by rubber is awesome and gives piece of mind.

However it's not needed on an average day.

Does anyone have experience with cold toes and going up in insulation? My toes say go for the 2000g rubbers however they will require 2 pairs of socks to prevent a sloppy fit

The 1000g non rubbers feel good and are insulated throughout where as the rubbers are only the foot. So that 1000g is more spread out

My current 800g rubbers have never done a good job of keeping my toes from going numb. Even with toe warmers and heavy socks.

Should I just go 2000? Or at that point is it just marketing? There is a huge difference in boot thickness between the 2kg rubbers and the same model in 1kg. The 2kgs look goofy but I'm not in it for fashion

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Im a big fan of neoprene/rubber, I love my Lacrosse alpha burlys 1000 grain. I was pulling hammies trying to get my old rubber ones off. Mine finally started leaking after a good 9-10 years so I sprayed them with that clear flex seal from the commercials to try and get through this year, its working so far

• Like 2

I wear 1000g Rubber boots and any temp below 40 I need use toe warmers to keep my feet warm. My next purchase is going to be the 2000g as well. Hopefully it works. I also have thought about buying electric socks but haven't seen any good reviews of those either. 

I wear 1000g Rubber boots and any temp below 40 I need use toe warmers to keep my feet warm. My next purchase is going to be the 2000g as well. Hopefully it works. I also have thought about buying electric socks but haven't seen any good reviews of those either. 

So is that with one or two pairs of heavy socks?

I've always been an advocate of rubber boots as I have to cross a small trout stream to get to my woods. Used to have Cabela's 800 milligram and toes stayed warm despite really cold temps with a thick pair of Smartwool socks on. Keep in mind 2000 grams and a good walk and your feet are going to sweat and then your done . With a good pair of insulated boots you really shouldn't need 2 pairs of socks. As mentioned, make sure they aren't too tight either. I like the more scent free of a rubber boot as well. Currently wearing Muck boots, not their heaviest of insulated but toes still keep warm

Edited by turkeyfeathers

So is that with one or two pairs of heavy socks?

One pair of light weight socks for the walk out to the stand so I don't sweat then once at the stand the toe warmers and a heavy pair of socks go on for the day.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I have also used a product called shoe goo to patch a crack in the rubber boot that happened mid season. I cleaned and scuffed the area then applied a few thin layers of the shoe goo and so far after a year of use it hasn't cracked and is still water proof. If i remember right I got the shoe goo at Dick's over in the shoe section. 

Ijust bought a pair of Muck Arctic sport boots at Mel's Chainsaw for $100.00 friday He is located between Black Creek and Belfast, NY on state rt. 305 pending where you are located. I get about a year out of them wearing daily on my dairy farm.

4 hours ago, zeus1gdsm said:

So I had a massive boot cracking leak on me this morning. On top of the 800g insulation and heavy wool socks not keeping my toes warm

I'm looking to up the insulation factor and get new boots. Found these so far.

7301e77e95bc622b107b5421cef38136.jpg

6d88444265b8eb08fd66506c2e7a0d37.jpg

Right inside my 100$ budget for boots.

I like the rubber boot concept as that's what I've used previously and a piece of land I have access to is predominantly swamp so that good 12-16 inches of waterproof protection provided by rubber is awesome and gives piece of mind.

However it's not needed on an average day.

Does anyone have experience with cold toes and going up in insulation? My toes say go for the 2000g rubbers however they will require 2 pairs of socks to prevent a sloppy fit

The 1000g non rubbers feel good and are insulated throughout where as the rubbers are only the foot. So that 1000g is more spread out

My current 800g rubbers have never done a good job of keeping my toes from going numb. Even with toe warmers and heavy socks.

Should I just go 2000? Or at that point is it just marketing? There is a huge difference in boot thickness between the 2kg rubbers and the same model in 1kg. The 2kgs look goofy but I'm not in it for fashion

I also have cold feet / toes problems. I was ways wearing 800's and then a Rocky Pak boot for real cold days and they never really helped, even with the right socks. 2 years ago I spent the $90 and bought a pair of 2400 regular Guide Gear hunting boot from Sportsman's Guide and I couldn't be happier. Feet have never been warned when it's cold out and they have a lifetime warranty.  Definitely worth the money

1 hour ago, 92onCaliHollow said:

I also have cold feet / toes problems. I was ways wearing 800's and then a Rocky Pak boot for real cold days and they never really helped, even with the right socks. 2 years ago I spent the $90 and bought a pair of 2400 regular Guide Gear hunting boot from Sportsman's Guide and I couldn't be happier. Feet have never been warned when it's cold out and they have a lifetime warranty.  Definitely worth the money

I got two years out of mine. Same ones you got. Then they just started to crack and degrade in just a few months. Still worth every penny becasue I normally end up running a stick through them anyways...lol

26 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I got two years out of mine. Same ones you got. Then they just started to crack and degrade in just a few months. Still worth every penny becasue I normally end up running a stick through them anyways...lol

Should've just sent them back. Sportsman's Guide is wonderful with their customer service and is just as great with their Guide Gear lifetime products. I know of people that send their boot back literally every July or August so they have new ones for the season

6 minutes ago, 92onCaliHollow said:

Should've just sent them back. Sportsman's Guide is wonderful with their customer service and is just as great with their Guide Gear lifetime products. I know of people that send their boot back literally every July or August so they have new ones for the season

warranty after two years?

Bogs has a life time warranty on their products, I'm on my third pair. The next ones I will pay for just because they are more than fair with their warranty. 

Smart wool, or Merino socks are the way to go IMO, ditch the old school heavy wool socks and thank me later. Unless it's really really cold I do great with smart wool and 1000g thinsulate Bogs. I had terrible problems with cold sweaty feet in the past and I will never go back to the old thick socks again. 

I started using a pair of black rubber "Mickey" boots last season when my old lacrosses finally wore out.  Those things are "Goofy" looking, but work awesome.   I think you can buy them new, for about $80 or surplus in good condition for about $40.  They keep my feet warm in very cold conditions and are completely waterproof to about 12".  They are also fairly light weight and easy to walk in.   A couple weeks ago, on a week long NZ ML hunt, I had the perfect footwear with a pair of Altima combat boots for the first half of the week in warm, dry conditions, and the Mickey boots for the latter part of the week when the cold, monsoon rains came.     

Rocking mid weight merino people socks and heavy weight wigwam merino socks. People socks are just as good as smartwool in my eyes and I have multiple pairs of both for backpacking. I wear light weight wool socks on 80* days backpacking in the summer.

Plus you get 3 extra pairs for the price of one smartwool pair. People socks. Made in USA.

• Like 1