Thoughts on Weatherby rifles

Billdogge

Never owned one (no interest) but have shot a couple.  Dad owned a 30-06 Mark V that I plinked with a little but could never warm up to the odd bolt lift and the fact that said bolt weighed almost as much as one of my ULA rifles.  Oh and the stock design and finish made me wanna puke.

Other than that, they were OK.  :wink:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Never owned one (no interest) but have shot a couple.  Dad owned a 30-06 Mark V that I plinked with a little but could never warm up to the odd bolt lift and the fact that said bolt weighed almost as much as one of my ULA rifles.  Oh and the stock design and finish made me wanna puke.

Other than that, they were OK.  :wink:

They are a  heavy gun at least mine  is changed out a the wood stock with synthetic on mine but its still not a light shooter that is  for sure . 

They make a light version now tho 

I think its call the Outfitter

Edited by 10point

If you are looking for accurate, I can verify that both of my Sakos are tack drivers.  Silly accurate.  And beautiful rifles to boot. 

I should note note that one is now Grampys but still in my safe until he wants it.  

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Billdogge said:

Thanks for the replies. Never shot one but they look like accurate rifles. Also looking at a Ledgendary Arms Works Professional.

The LAW gun sounds pretty nice. 

Have you given any thought to a Kimber Montana? Great choice there..........

If you own one or have shot one what are your thoughts on them?

The ones I have shot are all older ones from West Germany. They are old, but shoot amazing and look beautiful too. No complaints from me, so I would never buy another type of rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Billdogge said:

Thanks for the replies. Never shot one but they look like accurate rifles. Also looking at a Ledgendary Arms Works Professional.

I handled a pre production LAW and own a Bansner (his shop and does the stocks).

Very slick gun IMO, but be aware there were production problems with deliveries and accuracy; enough so that a few folks involved left the company. (One is a frequent poster on another gun orientated forum I browse)

I'm not sure how things are going now for them, as it took the shine off for me and I haven't followed along on any developments. But I like that Ed Brown design and it has some nice features.

Owned one Weatherby, one of the Sauer made W. German guns and it was customized with claw mounts and double set trigger, removable brake. 300WBY and a real tack driver in a synthetic stock. Easy to shot gun as it fit me well.

Have a 300WBY in another brand now for a 30 cal magnum, and have dabbled with the 257WBY in the past. 

23 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

If you are looking for accurate, I can verify that both of my Sakos are tack drivers.  Silly accurate.  And beautiful rifles to boot. 

Sako Classic has been my dream rifle for a long time. The dream is coming true for me. I smile every time I think about it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I should note note that one is now Grampys but still in my safe until he wants it.  

What model / caliber Sakos do you have?

Great rifle if you dont care about the price i can only speak for the older ones mine i got 20 years ago .
Have no idea if the  quality accuracy is still the same. 

This is groups my .300 Mark V Ultra-lightweight shoots. I would say they are absolutely accurate. Likely more accurate than the shooter. Weatherby forever! Likely my next rifle will be a custom made Weatherby
a60dd9e9c961b944d015c78991af137b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

This is groups my .300 Mark V Ultra-lightweight shoots. I would say they are absolutely accurate. Likely more accurate than the shooter. Weatherby forever! Likely my next rifle will be a custom made Weatherby
a60dd9e9c961b944d015c78991af137b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well i guess they are still great  judging from your groups 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grampy said:

Sako Classic has been my dream rifle for a long time. The dream is coming true for me. I smile every time I think about it.

I have 2 Sako;s , a .243 varmint model wood stock a tack driver and a 30-06 stainless , plastic stock , had to glass bed the action and bbl to get it to shoot good. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a vanguard s2 ss in 257wby. A dream rifle IMO and its safe to say I have a few of them. Not fancy or flash but good trigger, good action, sub Moa w no tweaks and the caliber is amazing. No problem at all recommending the gun or the caliber. Bang for buck the s2 and the tikka t3 are the top of the pyramid with savage in the hunt as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like "B's" but keep this in mind. The Mark V is the flagship, the Vanguard line is the "economy" version. They are different. I'll take a Mark V any day. The action is very strong, the reduced bolt lift aids in ease of scope mounting and the stock design (although weird looking to many) does aid in mitigating recoil. 

I like "B's" but keep this in mind. The Mark V is the flagship, the Vanguard line is the "economy" version. They are different. I'll take a Mark V any day. The action is very strong, the reduced bolt lift aids in ease of scope mounting and the stock design (although weird looking to many) does aid in mitigating recoil. 

I think this was far truer in the past than it is now. You also have rC and other sublet models to throw in. Wanted to a mark v ul and decided there s2 is as good wo even factoring ammo in so there was more money for glass on top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...