Southern opener, just wanted to say good bye

hoythunter

Yeah, if it weren't for those damn Bambi killers, all deer would be able to die of old age, passing quietly in their beds. I know, I saw it in a Disney movie.

Relax with the tear-drop sympathy emotions. Starting to sound like an anti-hunting convention in here. Shoot what you want and don't be spending so much time worrying about what the next guy wants to shoot. It's all venison, and I have no interest in mocking and ridiculing what another hunter may be darned proud of. Perhaps that is why we have a declining hunter population ...... too many people trying to force their standards on others.

• Like 13

I scratch my head when guys talk trash about folks taking button bucks or spikes like that yet think nothing of killing late season does that are often carrying two bucks.   Remember, life begins at conception and most of the does are bred by now.   I would love to fill my last two DMP's with button bucks, but I live in an overpopulated zone, so I will just take them as they come.  If momma doe shows up with a BB, BB is going to get the first shot now.   Antlers are a secondary consideration, it is all about the meat for me, and BB's are definitely in a class by themselves.   I will pass 1-1/2 year bucks, but only because they are no tastier than 2-1/2's or 3-1/2's but have a lot less meat on them.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever deer gets in my decent shooting range , Has good decent looking weight on it as far as meat to eat goes

and I have a legal tag for it. Then boom. Be it a legal Buck or a legal Doe. Simple formula I use. Heck I,m happy if I have a 

good beautiful fall day in the woods and see no deer at all.

• Like 1

My neighbor's nephew shot one on Thanksgiving morning that looked almost exactly like that one, but he had a little sticker point off the spike on one side.   The odd thing was, that little buck had almost begged me to shoot him on an earlier hunt, with my crossbow.  He walked fifteen yards from my stand, in an open hay field, stood broadside, and turned away.   He stood there like that for about 5 minutes, then walked right over to the spot where I heard the two gunshots that marked his demise on Thanksgiving morning.   5 minutes after he dissappeared, a much larger bodied deer appeared from the same trail that the little guy had first approached on.  

It was almost like that larger, 2-1/2 year buck sent his younger brother out first, to make sure the coast was clear.  He traveled a slightly different path however, detouring thru a standing corn field on the other side of the hedge-row that my stand is on.  That might explain his much larger body size (about 1.5X).  I could hear him munching on the corn as he worked his way thru and got a good whiff of that rutting buck smell when he got closer.  When he stepped out of the corn, he was 20 yards from my stand and I put a bolt diagonally thru, from chest to butt.  He staggered 50 or so yards out into an open field and dropped over in sight.   The bolt had passed thru and stuck a couple inches into the ground.    

Days later, when I heard those two shots Thanksgiving morning, I was wondering if it was the little guy.   We drove by the neighbors house, later that morning, on our way up the my wife's families place in the Adirondacks.  I caught a glimpse of a small deer laying next to a jeep out by the road.   I ran into the neighbor's nephews, who hunt his place, last week while I tossing the carcass of my Adirondack rifle buck back on my "coyote bait" pile.  One of them confirmed that it was him who shot the little 3-point when I asked about the two shots I heard Thanksgiving morning.  He did not look to happy about it, and said he thought it was a doe.  I bet it was very good eating anyhow, probably almost as good as a BB.          

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I scratch my head when guys talk trash about folks taking button bucks or spikes like that yet think nothing of killing late season does that are often carrying two bucks.   Remember, life begins at conception and most of the does are bred by now.   I would love to fill my last two DMP's with button bucks, but I live in an overpopulated zone, so I will just take them as they come.  If momma doe shows up with a BB, BB is going to get the first shot now.   Antlers are a secondary consideration, it is all about the meat for me, and BB's are definitely in a class by themselves.   I will pass 1-1/2 year bucks, but only because they are no tastier than 2-1/2's or 3-1/2's but have a lot less meat on them.  

Wow you even managed to bring religion into this post what a joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

It sounds like you may be having a bad day Chef.  I will say a prayer that things get better for you.  I definitely owe you one.  Thanks for helping to convince me to get a Butt-out-2 last season.  My own faith in God was ratcheted up a bit because of that and because of you.   It worked very well 3 out of 5 times, with the only failures on a BB and his momma.  I am very thankful that I stuck with it after that.  Later on, it worked perfectly on that infamous "Texas heart shot" Adirondack 6-point, proving to me once again, that Jesus calls all of the shots.  I could not have delivered a perfect one like that without some help.   The clean Butt-out extraction indicated that the bullet was perfectly centered on the point of aim.  Hang in there buddy, it will get better.

1 hour ago, chefhunter86 said:

Wow you even managed to bring religion into this post what a joke

It sounds like you may be having a bad day Chef.  I will say a prayer that things get better for you.  I definitely owe you one.  Thanks for helping to convince me to get a Butt-out-2 last season.  My own faith in God was ratcheted up a bit because of that and because of you.   It worked very well 3 out of 5 times, with the only failures on a BB and his momma.  I am very thankful that I stuck with it after that.  Later on, it worked perfectly on that infamous "Texas heart shot" Adirondack 6-point, proving to me once again, that Jesus calls all of the shots.  I could not have delivered a perfect one like that without some help.   The clean Butt-out extraction indicated that the bullet was perfectly centered on the point of aim.  Hang in there buddy, it will get better.

Hahaha what the fu((k are you talking about where do you get that I am having a bad day... because once again I call you out on bringing religion into this forum...you are a sad sack

• Like 1

On 4/27/2017 at 10:40 PM, chefhunter86 said:

Hahaha what the fu((k are you talking about where do you get that I am having a bad day... because once again I call you out on bringing religion into this forum...you are a sad sack

Profanity in print is a pretty good indicator that things are not going so well.   Repent

Profanity in print is a pretty good indicator that things are not going so well.   Repent

Dude you are one sick puppy if you think my life isn't going well you know nothing about me.... if you trust jesus so much why don't you drink a gallon of anti freeze if you survive you must truly be loved by jesus

• Like 1

Thanks for bringing Him up again.  You just can't have too much of Jesus on a hunting website.  I can't think of many other pastimes (maybe fishing) that position someone better to absorb His grace.  The crock-pot, venison stroganoff that we just had for dinner was awesome.  I ate so much, I don't think there would be room for the antifreeze.  I hope you have a great dinner.  Stay away from the green juice.   I had a Genny light with dinner  

27 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Dude you are one sick puppy if you think my life isn't going well you know nothing about me.... if you trust jesus so much why don't you drink a gallon of anti freeze if you survive you must truly be loved by jesus

Thanks for bringing Him up again.  You just can't have too much of Jesus on a hunting website.  I can't think of many other pastimes (maybe fishing) that position someone better to absorb His grace.  The crock-pot, venison stroganoff that we just had for dinner was awesome.  I ate so much, I don't think there would be room for the antifreeze.  I hope you have a great dinner.  Stay away from the green juice.   I had a Genny light with dinner  

On a serious note do you truly believe the world was created it 7 days ?

1 hour ago, chefhunter86 said:

On a serious note do you truly believe the world was created it 7 days ?

Probably closer to 6-1/2.   He finished that work and rested on the seventh day.  

Probably closer to 6-1/2.   He finished that work and rested on the seventh day.  

So you are as simple as I thought lol..... I guess you didn't pay attention much in school

16 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

So you are as simple as I thought lol..... I guess you didn't pay attention much in school

"Simple" is a pretty good descriptor, but "child-like" might better describe the complete faith that I have now.   Any doubts have been erased by all of the proof that He has, and continues to pile up.   Do you really think I could have perfectly placed a bullet up a buck's poop shoot without any help?  You and your Butt-out suggestion helped me prove that shot was indeed perfect (clean gut-job and very little meat destroyed).   On rifle team in high school, I did ok but never placed first in a match.  My biggest buck last season came on the only day I took my Bible in the stand.   I could list many more examples of where He helped me fill the freezer both afield or afloat.  

It is easier to use math and science to prove God made earth than to prove he did not.   Look up in the sky on a clear night.  What is beyond those stars?   Nothing, or Everything ?  You may not believe now, but there will always be hope for you.      

"Simple" is a pretty good descriptor, but "child-like" might better describe the complete faith that I have now.   Any doubts have been erased by all of the proof that He has, and continues to pile up.   Do you really think I could have perfectly placed a bullet up a buck's poop shoot without any help?  You and your Butt-out suggestion helped me prove that shot was indeed perfect (clean gut-job and very little meat destroyed).   On rifle team in high school, I did ok but never placed first in a match.  My biggest buck last season came on the only day I took my Bible in the stand.   I could list many more examples of where He helped me fill the freezer both afield or afloat.  
It is easier to use math and science to prove God made earth than to prove he did not.   Look up in the sky on a clear night.  What is beyond those stars?   Nothing, or Everything ?  You may not believe now, but there will always be hope for you.      

lol you really are a sad sad man. Use science to prove god exists... you don't have a rational
Thought in your head... god and science don't go together