My Adirondack 8

Buckmaster7600

We hunted out of Galusha's cottages on Lewey 26 and 27 years ago.   I had my first run-in with an Adirondack buck on the second trip.   I never got a shot off, but he was certainly a bruiser, based on the tracks.   He was bedded in some heavy cover, just about 100 yards off the road, next to the old pasture, across the road from the cabins.    I located the bedding area after finding a little hair on the barbed-wire fence around the pasture.    I circled around down-wind and got within 30 yards of him when he broke out.   I could not find an opening to get off a clean shot.   We drove that swamp on the South end of Lewey with about 5 guys one afternoon but did not see anything there.   The only deer sign I saw was right there next to that pasture.  Most of the guy's hunted a long way from camp, but I was the only one who saw anything and it was only a stones throw away from the cabins.  There does not seem to be a lot of food available up there, other than the road-side and old pasture grass.                 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

We hunted out of Galusha's cottages on Lewey 26 and 27 years ago.   I had my first run-in with an Adirondack buck on the second trip.   I never got a shot off, but he was certainly a bruiser, based on the tracks.   He was bedded in some heavy cover, just about 100 yards off the road, next to the old pasture, across the road from the cabins.    I located the bedding area after finding a little hair on the barbed-wire fence around the pasture.    I circled around down-wind and got within 30 yards of him when he broke out.   I could not find an opening to get off a clean shot.   We drove that swamp on the South end of Lewey with about 5 guys one afternoon but did not see anything there.   The only deer sign I saw was right there next to that pasture.  Most of the guy's hunted a long way from camp, but I was the only one who saw anything and it was only a stones throw away from the cabins.  There does not seem to be a lot of food available up there, other than the road-side and old pasture grass.                 

Yea never hunted the Adks yet but i go up to lake George every summer the biggest body deer i ever saw was close to the camp ground near the beach deer looked like a horse it was so big .  Was hanging out in woods right beside a parking area .

20 hours ago, wolc123 said:

We hunted out of Galusha's cottages on Lewey                 

i hunted out of those cottages the couple that owned it where great they helped me and my buddy's out.i tried to rent one a few years ago sadly they past.there kids don't want anything to do with it.

rachunter:  The last time we stopped in there was while we were on a summer vacation, about 10 years ago.  The daughter and her husband were running the place then.  She said the son (Andy?) moved down to Florida or something.   Back when we hunted there, he was a few years younger than us, and would always stop by our cabin and tell stories about the old days, hunting with his dad. 

Well I finally got my second Adirondack buck this past weekend (a 1-1/2 year 6 point).  I don't suppose I will ever catch up with Buckmaster, since he is a few years younger than me.   At least I left a lot less lead in this one (exit wound only, no entry hole needed).     

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had a big guy in the area supposedly a 12 point but I never found his tracks.  One of our new guys took a 4 pt his second buck and his first ADK buck.  Good time but I had a few issues that needed to be addressed and thankfully will be ok next year.

imagejpeg_1.jpg

We had a big guy in the area supposedly a 12 point but I never found his tracks.  One of our new guys took a 4 pt his second buck and his first ADK buck.  Good time but I had a few issues that needed to be addressed and thankfully will be ok next year.

imagejpeg_1.jpg

Awesome, hope everything works out. Good luck next year.

As soon as I have snow enough to get the snowmobile into camp I will start scouting for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2016 at 4:25 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

No, 10 came from blue mtn lake, 8 from newcomb 6 and this 8 came from speculator.

i've seen some really nice ones out of areas not far from rt30 anywhere from indian lake to sacandaga areas.  speculator is within reach but i'd be burning lots fuel and pre-dawn hours to get there.  you live close enough by or staying somewhere for those areas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/19/2016 at 2:39 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

All in all it was an awesome experience and I wouldn't trade any of it for the world. Getting an old bruiser still hunting in the big woods is what I live for. An old guy that was in my fathers camp when I was a young kid used to always say "a lot of guys kill bucks in the Adirondacks and a few shoot big ones but very few shoot big ones year after year" this buck was my 4th mature buck in 4 years in the Adirondacks.

Hi Buckmaster- Great buck CONGRATULATIONS!!!! great story.

You have the skill and courage to go where no other hunters go. That is why you are on your 4 year streak. Keep it up.

P.S... That swamp water must have been cold.. 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2016 at 4:25 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

No, 10 came from blue mtn lake, 8 from newcomb 6 and this 8 came from speculator.

Buckmaster- These other 3 bucks are also awesome. Your 2013 buck has a lot of mass and is nice and wide. Have you posted the stories for those deer? Sorry... I'm new on this site and I haven't read posts back that far.. But I will.

I see you're a lefty too. What is that rifle?

On 12/7/2016 at 4:37 PM, NFA-ADK said:

imagejpeg_1.jpg

Congratulations... My son got one this year that is almost a twin to this one... Good work.

Buckmaster- These other 3 bucks are also awesome. Your 2013 buck has a lot of mass and is nice and wide. Have you posted the stories for those deer? Sorry... I'm new on this site and I haven't read posts back that far.. But I will.
 I see you're a lefty too. What is that rifle?

Only story was my 2015 buck. The rifle for my 15 buck is a tikka t3 that is rebored to 35 whelen with the barrel cut to 17.5". This years buck was killed with a Remington 7600 pump carbine in 35whelen as well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...