Rinsing meat

nodeerhere

• 2 weeks later...

I always try to do a careful job gutting, trying to avoid getting any stomach/intestine contents, piss, crap, etc on the meat.   After everything else behind the diaphram is out, I cut thru the pelvis with a folding saw and make sure that passage is very clean (even when the "Butt-out" is used first).  With the deer still on it's back, I then cut out the diaphram and remove the lungs and heart.   There is usually plenty of blood left up there, and that is all I use to "rinse" the inside of the deer.   I get the front up a little higher and wash the back out with that blood as it flows down-hill.   The tenderloins have always tasted excellent using this method.  That blood from up front washes out any of the nasty stuff that may have escaped in back.  Also, the "fresh-blood" rinse is always faster and easier than a water rinse.          

I only rinse the cavity if a deer has been gut shot. And then I am careful to pay dry and hang with cavity propped open to dry that outer layer as quick as possible. Washing the meat just promotes bacteria. No need on a deer cleanup gutted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 12/2/2016 at 9:33 AM, NYBowhunter said:

Never ever rinse meat before packaging. If you keep all your equipment clean, skin carefully and remove any hair as you go along there is absolutely no need to wash the meat. Washing can be done once you defrost, prior to cooking.

Exactly what I do. Lightly rinse after defrosting.