Did my meat go bad??

Al Bundy

I'm cutting it up tonight after a sitting in the fridge three days and soaking overnight. Some parts are a not so good looking brown color while others are a nice red. Is the brown just where the overnight soak in water removed blood?? This is the second deer I cut myself and not real,sure. Hoping it didn't go bad. 

IMG_2297.JPG

IMG_2300.JPG

IMG_2302.JPG

IMG_2310.JPG

Thought soaking was one way to do it. Lot of google info on soaking venison in a salty brine. Smells fine, just looks weird. We won't be soaking again next year though. This deer was was taken by hunting buddy Friday morning 815.  Skinned out and quartered and fridged by 1130.  Wish I wouldn't have soaked it but buddy insisted soak. 

Thanks for the replies. 

I've never heard of soaking it in water until now. We also process our own. I'll let the deer hang for a couple days (weather permitting), then we will process it into steaks, grind, etc, vacuum seal it, then freeze it. Never had any meat go bad. I'm not saying soaking it in water is wrong, everyone has different ways of doing things, I've just never heard of it. We do soak the liver in buttermilk to draw the blood out before cooking however.

Soaking any game in a brine mix will draw the blood out of the wounds. In my experience, sort of a SOP for small game. As a general practice for venison, to soak ALL the meat is not necessary. Pretty sure a brine soak would do nothing for tenderizing the meat, if that was the theory. Lesson learned, huh?

• 5 months later...

As a chef and someone who has been in the food business a long time this takes the cake for me why would anyone soak meat in water. Brine before cooking is a good thing soaking meat in water for 3 days me be the dumbest thing I've ever heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So, does the butcher haul the meat out of a pail of water when he sells it to you. I have been to a few restaurants where the meat tasted like it had been soaking in water long enough to eliminate the danger of it having any flavor ..... lol. But seriously, there is nothing achieved by soaking meat other than to remove flavor. You want to make corned beef out of it, that's different. There you are replacing the original flavors with a completely different flavor, and replacing the original flavor is a desired result. Don't soak meat.