Can my dog eat deer bones?

Whereareyoubuck

Oh ya...did I mention they are outdoor dogs?...the dog house is 12x10ft filled with straw and shavings...Angel does not get bones...It's bad enough smelling her in the house with the few scraps I toss to her while butchering...Ohh man!...picture this..ever gut a wild turkey? Well take that times 10!...lol

No bones of any sort !!! Wife is a vet and sees dogs all the time for removing stuck bones from throats, round ham bones from stuck around lower jaw and splintering bones are terrible . Just because "you've " never had a bad experience with any of your dogs don't assume it can't/won't happen. She actually said this time of year with dogs getting into Thanksgiving days garbage and handed bones she'll see more than usual for this. Easter and Christmas for ham bones too. Stay to rawhides.

42 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

No bones of any sort !!! Wife is a vet and sees dogs all the time for removing stuck bones from throats, round ham bones from stuck around lower jaw and splintering bones are terrible . Just because "you've " never had a bad experience with any of your dogs don't assume it can't/won't happen. She actually said this time of year with dogs getting into Thanksgiving days garbage and handed bones she'll see more than usual for this. Easter and Christmas for ham bones too. Stay to rawhides.

Is this something that is generally accepted within the veterinary community, or your wife's advice based on her personal experience?  My vet said large, uncooked bones were fine is the only reason I ask.  

Edited by Caveman

10 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Is this something that is generally accepted within the veterinary community, or your wife's advice based on her personal experience?  My vet said large, uncooked bones were fine is the only reason I ask.  

Although taught at vet school I believe it comes from more personal experience of having to remove such bones quite frequently

Take note in your response you mention ham bones,turkey bones...I'd never give Any fowl bone, but the bone you mentioned...all cooked. We all said never cooked.

When I say leg bones,I mean the bones I took the meat off of...I never give the cut off part of leg with fur on it. That gets tossed.

We had to put a dog down once for chewing up venison bones and splintering them, they tore holes all through his intestines, this isn't a guess either. The vet took x rays and you could clearly see splintered bone. Granted up until that point we had always fed them the bones without issue. I wouldn't risk it...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

How much of this is people giving them turkey carcasses? Even I have always known that giving a chicken or turkey carcass to a dog is bad!

One thing that no-one has mentioned is the danger of encouraging your dog to chase deer by feeding it deer bones. If you have a hunting dog, you want to avoid this. I have beagles which are my rabbit hunting dogs. Many beagles have a natural proclivity to chase deer and you do not want to encourage them by feeding them anything from a deer at any cost. I will not even go near my beagles if I am wearing my deer hunting clothes or boots that have deer scent on them from previous successful hunts.

1 hour ago, CharlieNY said:

One thing that no-one has mentioned is the danger of encouraging your dog to chase deer by feeding it deer bones. If you have a hunting dog, you want to avoid this. I have beagles which are my rabbit hunting dogs. Many beagles have a natural proclivity to chase deer and you do not want to encourage them by feeding them anything from a deer at any cost. I will not even go near my beagles if I am wearing my deer hunting clothes or boots that have deer scent on them from previous successful hunts.

That is why i was asking about the skinning. I would have given to my chickens never to any of my dogs