Pennsylvania Hunt 2016

Lawdwaz

I've been hunting Pennsylvania since 1981 IIRC and have killed my share of bucks but it was 2012 when I killed my most recent one....until this past Monday.  It was a pretty fair poke; 225-240 yards.  I saw three bucks including the one I killed along with 5 doe by 8:50am. 

The first buck that came my way came walking down this lane straight in front of me at about 250 yards.  I glassed him first with the gun but figured he may not be legal as they need at least three points to a side.  With the binos I still couldn't be sure, then he turned to his right and I'm pretty sure I saw 3 points on the right side but before I could make another move he stepped off the trail and into the Locust, gone forever. :)

10 minutes later another buck comes down the same lane but walking a little faster.  I picked up the gun and make a quick determination that this one was indeed legal......as I waited for him to stop, I noticed in my field of view another buck trotting down the lane: MUCH bigger than my target buck.  Before I could make any move to get on the stud, he jumped to his right and headed off the lane.  I quickly locked onto the chest of my buck and popped the cork.  He kicked his hind legs (you see, if you shoot a mild mannered tack driver like my .243 you can watch the reaction of the deer at your shot) and jumped into the Locust trees.

It took my a few minutes to get organized and get up to the area he was standing when I shot.  It took a few minutes but I located the buck about 50 yards or so into the mess.  A guy could easily loose one in there.......

The shot was perfect & right on the money, it makes me so happy when things go well.

Here ya' go.............

IMG_0709_zpsvfb9ppv3.jpg

And a big "Thank You" to member "buckstopshere" for the prodding to get a ramp/winch setup in place.  It DOES work!

IMG_0716_zpskblsyav6.jpg

• Like 21

Photobucket is giving me a hard time lately when I try to upload from my phone.  This picture just came up on my computer after 30 minutes of MIA......

I took this picture in the Locusts right after I found him.  The sunlight was really bright and the ground still frosty at the time.

IMG_5417_zpsd416cmrg.jpg

• Like 5