To shoot doe or not to shoot doe

nodeerhere

In my area.. there is so little rut sign, pics show a high doe to buck ratio.... I'll shoot 1 buck if that a year but try to fill every single doe tag we can get... to many guys shoot their buck and leave, which is fine... but we need to lower the # of does and raise the # of bucks to get the herd right.. For me.. I'll pass on every small buck and fill my freezer with does, for my area, it is the smart move.. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Unless something happens this weekend, this will be the third year I haven't filled my DMP tag. I haven't seen a deer since opening day of rifle. Whenever I don't get a DMP I feel like all I see are doe. That seems to be the way it works for me...

Every time I have a DMP, I say aw heck, I'll just fill it at the end of the season. Most times that works out fine for me. But then there are the years, (this one included) that the doe seemed to have gone underground! Saw three small bucks last weekend, but no doe! And like ApexerER said, if I did not have that DMP. I would have a parade of doe just about falling over themselves to walk past my stand! It's not over yet! But I don't see any lines of doe forming either........"grin"

• Like 1

Saw over 12 doe today on a still hunt in 4F,but only have buck tag left. These woods are filthy with doe,they just don't come out of the woods till dark. A few inches of snow made for great still hunting conditions.

Could have shot 9 of the twelve does,next week they had better be more alert...

1 hour ago, Trial153 said:

Maybe a scarcity of doe sighting might be a good indication that your DMP tags are better left unfilled......

On my one property, there are still plenty of doe to take. They are just not moving much during daylight at this time. And I haven't hunted it much this year. The other property is much larger and we are trying to build up the deer population .  So no doe hunting there. Since I have plenty of meat in the freezer, it's not a big deal if I fill my DMP or not. But I'd really like to!

• Like 1

If a buddy asked me that same question, I'd tell him it's up to him - if it's legal and ethical then go for it.  Personally, when I hunt whitetail, I'm thinking about feeding my family so unless I'm feeling especially empathetic or entertained by a doe, I'm putting her down as long as I know the meat will be used.  The thing is, I've never been in the situation where I've harvested two deer and am able to go for a third, so I'm only speaking about what I think I might do.  Jeez, I wish I had your problem!!:rolleyes:

All properties are not the same. Two properties next to each other can have different buck/doe ratios and populations, and often do. Some properties are full of deer, others suck. Irrational to think that the DEC can micromanage every property. You hunt in an overall area, a DMU that the DEC says the whitetail population there is too high. If you shoot a doe, another will move in to the carrying capacity of your hunting property. You can't put five quarts in a four-quart pail. Does are very territorial and will push each other out in the spring.  Since you have plenty of does in the area (DMU) (maybe not on your property,) I wouldn't worry about the impact because they will just move in if it is good cover with food sources handy. Bon appetit!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sfoulkrod said:

If a buddy asked me that same question, I'd tell him it's up to him - if it's legal and ethical then go for it.  Personally, when I hunt whitetail, I'm thinking about feeding my family so unless I'm feeling especially empathetic or entertained by a doe, I'm putting her down as long as I know the meat will be used.  The thing is, I've never been in the situation where I've harvested two deer and am able to go for a third, so I'm only speaking about what I think I might do.  Jeez, I wish I had your problem!!:rolleyes:

I hunt hard man. I think I've been out every day since October 1. At least for an hr or so each day. And if I only have 20 mins of legal shooting light I'll run out behind the house! Can't kill them from the couch. And I have passed many of deer this season. Small bucks, doe with fawns. And I really was asking the question to see what others thought from a deer management point. I mean I prob could make the 3 deer in my freezer last! But one more won't hurt! Will not go to waste. But at the same Time I don't want to kill off the population in any of my hunting spots! I love to Hunt whitetail deer!!! 

Edited by nodeerhere
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Trial153 said:

Maybe a scarcity of doe sighting might be a good indication that your DMP tags are better left unfilled......

I saw lots of doe during bow, crossbow and opening day. I was always waiting for the buck. Now that I have my buck tag filled, the doe are in underground bunkers I believe. I wouldn't be at all worried about filling my DMP on the property I hunt.