2016 Do-right thread

wolc123

Now we have reached the end of deer season in NY state (most of us anyhow), what did you do that enabled you to fill tag(s) this year?  There was no big, shoulder-mount worthy trophy bucks for me this year, but more pounds of boneless venison than on any of my prior 35 years hunting, and for that I am very thankful.

1st kill (Antlerless only bow/ML tag):   I filled this tag with a 1-1/2 year old, medium-sized doe in the NZ early ML season.  The first thing I did right on that hunt was to get myself into decent shape so that I could effortlessly cover a lot of territory and locate the deer.  I also had a plan of what to do with a carcass in the extreme warm conditions (daytime high in the lower 80's) and dressed appropriately for the conditions.   I adjusted my hunt plan on the morning of that kill to take advantage of the conditions I found (wet leaves, steady wind - perfect conditions for still hunting).   

2nd kill (Antlered/Antlerless bow/ML tag):   I filled this tag with a 2-1/2 year old, 5-point buck (started out as an 8 but got busted up early in the rut) in the SZ crossbow season.   The first thing I did right on that one was to pass on two legal deer that would have otherwise used the tag.  The first one was another, larger doe, up in the NZ on my early ML hunt and the second was a scrawny, tiny-racked 3-point, that almost begged me to shoot it 5 minutes before his big brother showed up.  The most important thing I did right on this one was planting and maintaining some standing corn.   He actually still had his hind quarters in the corn when my bolt struck him behind the shoulder from under 20 yards away.  It was a tough year to grow corn with the worst drought we have ever had this summer.   We got some rain, just in time to make a meager crop, and I preserved what I had by aggressively trapping the coons and spraying the weeds.  

3rd kill (DMP #1):  I transferred this tag to a friend and he punched it on a fat button buck on opening day of gun season.  He likes hunting but does not care for venison.   He recently retired from the army (E-7), with several combat tours, starting with the first Persian gulf war.  He made a fine 100 yard shot on that BB, destroying very little of the top-quality, corn-fed meat.  I was thankful that I let him use that stand that morning.  I may have missed the vitals of that little buck, based on how high I hit his momma, when she showed up at the gut pile for milking time later that afternoon.    

4th kill (DMP #2):  This big doe was probably the momma of the BB up above. I killed her later that day from the same stand.  My shot, behind the shoulder, from 100 yards, struck just low enough to break her back.  A second shot (to the brain) was needed to finish her.   Once again, this doe and her fawn would never have ended up in our family's freezers were it not for the standing corn that remained on our farm until a few weeks into gun season.     

5th kill (Gun-season buck tag):  This tag went on a fairly heavy-bodied, but small-racked  Adirondack 6-point buck, that I was fortunate enough to take over the long Thanksgiving weekend up at my in-laws place.   Even though all of the deer I had seen up there in my prior 12 days of hunting this fall were while still hunting, I chose to sit and ambush on the afternoon of this kill.  The snow was just too loud and crunchy for still hunting, and I had located a group of does in some thick cover down in a valley.    I got downwind of that valley and chose my spot along a trail where I thought a buck would use to scent check his harem.   Although he approached from the opposite direction that I expected, I was able to make adjustments and kill him very cleanly within 15 minutes of taking my seat along that trail.   Oddly enough, this Adirondack buck also had a belly-full of corn.   My father-in-law said there was some unharvested corn a mile or two up the road from his camp.      

Tag soup (DMP #3 & 4): Even tough all our freezers are now stuffed, I hunted all I could thru last weekend, hoping to donate some for the homeless folks, but I did not see any deer on the last two weekends.   A neighbor kid did haul one (not sure what) out of my front corn-plot this afternoon, that he hit across the road with his ML.   That makes (3) for the neighbors, plus (3) for us this year on 4 acres of corn.            

Edited by wolc123
typo

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

You've got to be kidding?

Honestly no, I fried up sets from a 6 month BB and a 2-1/2 year old buck this year, and these looked to be right in between, maybe 2-1/2" long and 1" diameter.  I just left them back in the field this time however as they are only good if harvested fresh.

Maybe my internet stalker the chef can provide a good recipe if you are interested.          

Now that I stirred up a little interest with the nutty diversion, it is time to get this thread back on point.   I understand the natural reluctance of hunters and fisherman to share information on what works for them (it is best to keep the competition in the dark, right?).   

I did leave out the number one thing I did right to enable my most productive ever, venison-producing season this year.   That would be keeping things right with OUR Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.    It sounds easy but it is not always for many folks.   Here is what I do:

#1  Read the Bible every day.   10 minutes in the morning gets me thru two pages.  I can do that in the morning while my car is warming up.   God's word is written down - try reading it.   Kill #2 (my largest) this year was taken on one of two days that I took my Bible up in the stand and read it there.   My second largest racked buck ever (check out picture in last years DIY euro mount thread) was killed as a direct result of having a Bible up in the stand.   Two of the three deer that our family was blessed with last season were received (from others) on the only day that I had the Bible in the blind that year.

#2 Pray often.   No need to explain this one.  God wants to pour out his blessings on his creation (us).  Don't be scared to ask for it sometimes.   He don't always answer right away.   I had to wait for the next morning for the antlerless deer I asked for this year (kill #1).

#3 Bring yourself and your family to church regularly.   I do skip a few during hunting season but Kill #2 was on a Sunday afternoon after I skipped the morning hunt to take my family to church.   It was not the first time that happened.  

#4 (Kill #3).   Do stuff for others.  Take a kid fishing now and then, or offer someone else your best stand.   They are not kidding when they say it is better to give than to receive.    You always get more back when it is not your intent.     

Merry Christmas everyone.

Edited by wolc123

Now that I stirred up a little interest with the nutty diversion, it is time to get this thread back on point.   I understand the natural reluctance of hunters and fisherman to share information on what works for them (it is best to keep the competition in the dark, right?).   
I did leave out the number one thing I did right to enable my most productive ever, venison-producing season this year.   That would be keeping things right with OUR Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.    It sounds easy but it is not always for many folks.   Here is what I do:
#1  Read the Bible every day.   10 minutes in the morning gets me thru two pages.  I can do that in the morning while my car is warming up.   God's word is written down - try reading it.   Kill #2 (my largest) this year was taken on one of two days that I took my Bible up in the stand and read it there.   My second largest racked buck ever (check out picture in last years DIY euro mount thread) was killed as a direct result of having a Bible up in the stand.   Two of the three deer that our family was blessed with last season were received (from others) on the only day that I had the Bible in the blind that year.
#2 Pray often.   No need to explain this one.  God wants to pour out his blessings on his creation (us).  Don't be scared to ask for it sometimes.   He don't always answer right away.   I had to wait for the next morning for the antlerless deer I asked for this year (kill #1).
#3 Bring yourself and your family to church regularly.   I do skip a few during hunting season but Kill #2 was on a Sunday afternoon after I skipped the morning hunt to take my family to church.   It was not the first time that happened.  
#4 (Kill #3).   Do stuff for others.  Take a kid fishing now and then, or offer someone else your best stand.   They are not kidding when they say it is better to give than to receive.    You always get more back when it is not your intent.     

Wow you really are insane!!! Why don't you move out west somewhere and join a cult....... I'm gunna guess your a x junkie that found god through AA or NA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also it takes you 10 minuets to read two pages no wonder you need to kill deer to feed your family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk