Coyote guns?

hunter49

So for the guys hunting yotes with dogs, what guns are you using?  I use a 223 cal  when calling them in.  but when the dogs are hot on their trail & the yotes are flying I use a 12ga. full choke with buck shot.  Just wondering what you other guys are using?

I just bought a .204 Ruger caliber rifle. As hunting deer with a rifle is not allowed in 9A, I was restricted to .22 or smaller during the deer season/any caliber non-deer season. I figured it will be good enough year round.

What is the effective range of a shotgun for coyote hunting?

Edited by goosifer

27 minutes ago, goosifer said:

every gun is different you need to pattern you gun,choke & ammo.i'm good to 40-50 yards.

i don't hunt them with dogs, 22-250 and 12ga. i think the 250 is overkill for new yorks thick woods.

I bought a .22 mag to use on small game and coyote. All my shots will likely be under 70 yards let alone 100 yards. If I get more serious about it, I'd probably get a 223 and use Barnes TTSX buckets to save the hide. If it's real close quarters I'll use a 12 gauge with buckshot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a big time Coyote hunter so no expert here, I have shot them starting with a 22LR and moving on up to various centerfire varmint calibers on  to a 12 Ga with large shot for short range in the woods. Like any other type of hunting it boils down to having a good clear shot and having the firearm, confidence in it and shooting ability to match your hunt situation so you can make a clean kill.

I know guys out west that are into the Coyote hunting big time and are serious about their work, they want as little damage to the hides as possible. The firearm of choice with them is something chambered in the 17 Remington. It has plenty of range, you get a small entry hole, massive internal damage with no exit hole = zero pelt damage.

Al

Edited by airedale

When we run em with the dogs its usually 12ga with anything from modified to super full and #4 buck depending on how it patterned.  I am using a undertaker choke with Hornady BB this year, or an old 20ga Ithaca deer slayer with smooth barrel and some Federal home defense #4.  We usually have a few guys with rifles from .17 hornet to .243.  So I guess what I am saying is pretty much whatever you have will work.  Watch the rifle caliber if you wanna save the hides.  But #4 does the trick behind the dogs when you are up close and personal.

Purchased a savage . 17 wsm for this year. never had any coyotes come in to the calls, but the .223 was not fur friendly to the fox. Got a hunt in 2 wks well see how it works.

How is your 17WSM as far as accuracy goes? I've almost bought one 2 or 3 different times but I see quite a few reviews stating 3"+ groups, curious as to what you're seeing?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

On 12/25/2016 at 1:32 PM, goosifer said:

I just bought a .204 Ruger caliber rifle. As hunting deer with a rifle is not allowed in 9A, I was restricted to .22 or smaller during the deer season/any caliber non-deer season. I figured it will be good enough year round.

Pretty sure that any zone rifle not allowed for deer is no go for any rifle bigger than .22 for predator hunting even after deer season. I could be wrong. #4 buck good to 40 yards with right tube 

Pretty sure that any zone rifle not allowed for deer is no go for any rifle bigger than .22 for predator hunting even after deer season. I could be wrong. #4 buck good to 40 yards with right tube 

I'm pretty sure you can use a centerfire rifle after the deer season has closed even in shotgun only areas for deer. It's only limited to .22 during an open deer season. I'm pretty positive actually.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I'm pretty sure you can use a centerfire rifle after the deer season has closed even in shotgun only areas for deer. It's only limited to .22 during an open deer season. I'm pretty positive actually.

It's very confusing in the regs. You very well may be right.  

7 hours ago, chrisw said:

How is your 17WSM as far as accuracy goes? I've almost bought one 2 or 3 different times but I see quite a few reviews stating 3"+ groups, curious as to what you're seeing?

I've only shot it a hand full of times. I'm getting 4 shots within a quarter size at 75 yrds. however I'm using a Cabelas caliber specific scope. mine as well as my buddies (he's using same scope, same gun) keeps getting a good group, then it shots a couple off. they'd still be in the kill zone though. I'm having terrible trouble with the gun firing though. mine will fire 1 shot, I eject the round and 1 chambers. you go and fire the 2nd shot and it acts as if the safety is on, which it is not. in order to get it to fire I have to tap the accutrigger. very frustrating. I've read that this is a savage problem with this gun and they say to mail the gun into them for repair.