Anyone shoot fingers?

stubborn1VT

Just wondering if anyone still shoots and hunts without a release.  If so, what bow do you shoot?  What is your anchor point? Kisser button? Sights?  Broadheads?  Do you have to shoot a lot?  Are you successful?

I have shot fingers for 25+ years.  For years my anchor point point was my index finger in the corner of my mouth.  I tried a kisser button for 1 year (was ok). This year I switched to a Expedition Perfexion bow and now I use a knot on string that hits my nose as an anchor.  I had to do this to line up my new Prime sights.  I shoot nearly every day from August on.  I swear by Wasp Jak-hammer broadheads.  I don't kill a deer every year, but I feel like I'm successful because my shoots are usually 25 yards or less.  Shot my biggest buck, an 8 point, this year on the 2nd to last day of our bow season.

What about you?

Well, because that's the way we all did it 25 years ago.  There were no releases!  So, tradition.  It takes more practice, and that's part of it for me.  I enjoy all the shooting it takes to be ready for the season.  I use one leather glove made of tanned deer hide, so there is no variation that way.  

I feel like anyone can pick up a bow and shoot it with a release, but it takes time and effort to shoot fingers.  Even more for a stick bow!  I guess it's kind of like the guys that still use their grandfather's open sight 30-30.  

• Like 1

I bought my first bow back in the late 60s, a Bear Super Kodiak recurve which I still have and shoot today. Back then any mechanical release was illegal to hunt with so I learned to shoot with a glove and have continued to do so. I have aso had through the years three different compound bows used a glove with those also. The three compounds have long since been sent down the road. Never really caught the Deer hunting bug with a bow, most of my bow hunting was and is for small game and I especially like bow fishing and shooting carp.

Al

Here is the old Bear Super Kodiak, just about 50 years old now but it can still lay them in there.

001_zpsnhp7hc03.jpg

Edited by airedale

I use a glove on my recurve. I was once told that releases are a bit too harsh on traditional equipment ...... just a little too close to dry-firing. I don't know for sure, but the philosophy of shooting traditional equipment really doesn't fit with releases anyway .... lol.

• Like 1

Use to fingers no sights...Now it's a release and still no sights...

I started with a Kodiak recurve then went to a Hoyt compound..Back then you could still get away with shooting no release with a compound...not on the newer bows and I bought up the a Mission a few years ago....It was a tab and 3 under...my anchor point was the locking of my shoulder blade still is. This makes sure I always keep my form. The no sights....If it ain't broken don't fix it...I'm rt handed in bow with lft eye dominance.

• Like 1

I shoot a "new" compound with fingers.  It's a 2 year old Expedition Perfexion and it's only 36" axle to axle.  I shoot a glove, and draw 3 under, but drop a finger once I'm drawn.  I was worried that I couldn't shoot a short, fast bow with fingers, but my buddy runs a bow shop and he helped me make a couple adjustments.  I'm shooting better than I have in years.

Someday I will get a recurve and try the no sights thing.  I think that it takes tons of practice, and that's part of the point for me.  Keep it up Grow!

Thanks S1VT...When I started looking for the new bow the archery shops all said that shooting fingers with the new bows would put,as memory serves, too much torque on the string and cause issues with the cams. Now it was a few years ago but I think that was the consensus. I had a very difficult time going to a release...went through three before I bought a rather expensive true-ball buckles strapped on. They set me up perfect with it for my draw and now just love it.

Antler,

I hope to try traditional archery tackle at some point.  Maybe when I retire.  The first compound bow package I bought came with sights, and I've used the ever since.  I'm pretty sure I could shoot without them, but they do help me.  

How far do you shoot?  What do you shoot for arrows?  

Someday I hope to take a deer with a bow and arrows that I have made, but in the meantime I'm happy with my compound, shooting fingers, and limiting my shots to 30 yards or less.

For me it's terrible..I tried it once and lost, to a poor shot, a deer I just may have had mounted...knowing me, you know that was a big deer to say that...Think the neighbor that picked him up did...Any ways great during practice...but on a live deer once the arrow left the bow...I couldn't see where it hit,just the sight. I never get that shooting instinctive...I can see everything...the arrow flight the impact. it only took once and never again...I'll probably never really get over that day..it's there in the back of my mind, like an unwanted mole. Forgotten most of the time and then you notice it... :wink:

Not everyone see's things the same. I would put to you, why would you use a sight when you don't have to? Now that was rhetorical...for I have heard the ,because it's more accurate. That may be so for the people using them...but for the ones that do not and have trained and who's body and eye coordination has developed to the non use of one, they are not more accurate.

Yes, I could never get used to using a release, no matter how hard I tried. I mostly hunt with a crossbow these days. I don't think that anchor point, broadheads, or anything else would be any different than shooting a bow using a release, it's more a case of getting the coordination and control once you decide to let the arrow fly, and making sure your follow-through is consistent.

Not everyone see's things the same. I would put to you, why would you use a sight when you don't have to? Now that was rhetorical...for I have heard the ,because it's more accurate. That may be so for the people using them...but for the ones that do not and have trained and who's body and eye coordination has developed to the non use of one, they are not more accurate.

I have to say, that above was more to the sights. I actually think there is a bit of a difference in the release verses fingers. At least for me  but then again it could have been a difference between a finger tab and finger gloves...I used a tab...I think going to the release made me have to readjust because I didn't have my shots pulling to the rt as much even though I'm a rt hand shooter. Which normally, if I would have a side pull ,should have been to the lft. due to hand my bow is in...I may be wrong,but....

I feel like using a release is putting a trigger on a bow.  That's just not the point for me.  All my friends shoot releases, but I don't feel the need to switch.  I started out with a glove 25+ years ago, and I'm comfortable with it.  Why change?  

My best friend can pick up his bow any month of the year and shoot well with a release.  I enjoy the practice that it takes to shoot well with fingers.

One less piece of gear to buy, lose, or have fail.  

I started bowhunting in '88 with a Golden Eagle turbo hawk . Used that bow for 18 years most of those " shooting fingers" with a tab . Killed a deer my first year and most years since , never knew I was hindered by it .

Went with a release to give them  a try, didn't see much difference in my shooting. Today's shorter bows you almost have to because of finger pinch .