How long do bow strings last?

Tail_Hnt

I shoot a Hoyt Protec XT2000 that I purchased new in 2005 and was wondering how long the strings should last.  I probably do not have more than a thousand shots on it total (not much time to devote to shooting  :D  )

I am going on an archery hunt for elk in Montana in September and wanted to know if I should get the strings changed out.  They still seem like they are in great shape and are not frayed and kept waxed.  Do strings deteriorate over time? 

I would hate to be drawing back on a nice bull and have my bow blow up in my face, as that would be the exact time my string decides it has had enough.

Thanks!

There are certainly many other hunters here with way more knowledge than me about bows, but I have a 1990 bow that still has the same string on it since the mid 90's.  Surely don't do much shooting with it either, but it still hasn't given up yet.  The biggest word of advice I could give you is to START practicing if you intend to go to Montana to hunt elk.  Going on a trip like that with little practice will more than likely end up in disappointment.

Thanks fellas!

I have already starting devoting myself to practicing and will shoot all year until the trip.  There is no way I am going into this unprepared.  I do enough shooting to hunt the whitetail season with success, but know this is a whole 'nuther ball of wax!

Any other opinions are welcome!

if its not showing wear or fraying don't change it! If for piece of mind you do change it remember strings stretch,it will not shhot the same as before you changed it! you will need to put several hundred shots on a new string to have it stretch all the time resighting it in as it stretches. Imo practice with what you have that will make all the difference on your hunt!! 

I replaced the string on my Parker Phoenix EZ-Draw bow after 1 1/2 years as the cable frayed from a burr on the cable slide . I figured as long as I was doing one ,I might as well do both .

Check your string and cables for wear . Keep the string waxed and every few times ,clean the old wax off the string as it will pick up dirt & grit .

If it's not broke , don't fix it ........unless you are nervous about the reliability of the string .

Most "quality" strings are pre-stretched .

Thanks Eddie, the best stuff I ever used was Bee's wax that the old man collected when he kept Bee's. Our supply of that is gone now.

I have never had a string let go while shooting but i have had a string loop break while about 3/4 draw. It snapped and I punched myself right in the mouth...I swore a little.  ;D

Make sure you clean your string every few waxings .

Strap your bow on something so it won't move . Take a 12" piece of dental floss and put a loop in both ends . Tie the floss aroung the string near the serving and tighten . Put a pencil in the loops and pull . It will squeeze the old wax and grit out of the string . It works for me ..........

heres a better question... are you willing to take the chance of a bow string failure on a possible trophy of a lifetime?? i think not....  mine gets changed every yr

String life depends great on a number of things......................use, care and storage.

If I was going on a payed/guided OR even unpaid/unguided hunt out West (that far from home) and my string was more than 1 1/2 yrs old. You can bet it would have a new string on it. Prior to the trip and had been shot to make sure POI was on. Strings stretch as well and can effect the performance of the bow, even slightly.

Do I replace my string every yr. NO, I usually trade off or buy a new bow before I wear out a string...................................

FDXX75

heres a better question... are you willing to take the chance of a bow string failure on a possible trophy of a lifetime?? i think not....  mine gets changed every yr

String life depends great on a number of things......................use, care and storage.

If I was going on a payed/guided OR even unpaid/unguided hunt out West (that far from home) and my string was more than 1 1/2 yrs old. You can bet it would have a new string on it. Prior to the trip and had been shot to make sure POI was on. Strings stretch as well and can effect the performance of the bow, even slightly.

Do I replace my string every yr. NO, I usually trade off or buy a new bow before I wear out a string...................................

FDXX75

Here Here, that type for trip I would replace it.  Why leave one more thing to worry about?  Make sure you practice and train, and by train I mean run a mile then have your bow ready to shoot a couple arrows when you get back and your out of breath.  That mtn air will kick our eastern butts, our mtn's should really be called hills compared to theres lol. 

Goodluck bagging that elk of a lifetime

CNY

Im with Fulldraw on this. Strings are relatively cheap, and I wouldnt go on a hunt that cost me thousands of dollars and end up having a string cost me the animal. You have plenty of time for the new string to break in if you are practicing the way you should be before the hunt. Remember to shoot your bow once you get to the destination, just to make sure its still on and ready.

Now, let me clarify something..........................If your hunt is a yr. away, don't replace it now and wear it out by shooting 5000 arrows through it. Do your shooting and replace it a month or so before the hunt and make all your final adj. before you head out.

Checking POI once there is a most, I believe most if not all outfitters require the hunter to shoot/qualify per say with their bow for several reasons............to check that the equipment is functioning and on target and to let the guide/outfitter know how efficient the shooter is with his equip.

FDXX75

Make sure you clean your string every few waxings .

Strap your bow on something so it won't move . Take a 12" piece of dental floss and put a loop in both ends . Tie the floss aroung the string near the serving and tighten . Put a pencil in the loops and pull . It will squeeze the old wax and grit out of the string . It works for me ..........

Eddie, I have a comment... then a question:

I clean my string before every waxing (with Winner's Choice Ultimate String Cleaner) and set it aside for awhile to let the cleaning solution do its job.  After letting it set for awhile: I get a micro-fibered cloth and wipe the cleaner/crud/grit from the string; then I apply a monumental amount of new wax (Winner's Choice Ultimate String Conditioner*) to the string, cables, and servings; afterwards I use my wife's hairdryer to melt the wax into the string, cables, and servings.  After that process I set the bow aside again awhile to let the wax cool down. I then take the micro-fibered cloth again and wipe off any excess wax.  Since joining the winter bow league - I perform this process every two weeks.

I like your suggestion of using dental floss, but I was just wondering... do you find with the floss being so tight around the string, that the crud/grit cuts or frays the string fibers as you push/squeeze it ahead of the floss and hence lowers the life of the string? 

As you can see in my previous post - I change my string every 2 years (even after using the process of cleaning/waxing described above).  It's that OCD thingy again  :-\ .

*It says Conditioner... but I think it's a wax.

post-257-131455424231_thumb.jpg

Checking POI once there is a most, I believe most if not all outfitters require the hunter to shoot/qualify per say with their bow for several reasons............to check that the equipment is functioning and on target and to let the guide/outfitter know how efficient the shooter is with his equip.

FDXX75

I don't know if I would believe that most outfitters do that.  I never bowhunted with an outfitter, but I did gun hunt with a number of them, be it 15 to 20 plus years ago now.  I think they could have cared less if my gun was on or not.  Some have a target set up, but it's only there if the client want to check out his gun.  Generally they want you to pay them BEFORE they take you hunting, so they surely won't lose any sleep over you missing an animal they might put you on.  They got their money the rest is up to you.  It's just business to them. 

FDXX75

I don't know if I would believe that most outfitters do that.  I never bowhunted with an outfitter, but I did gun hunt with a number of them, be it 15 to 20 plus years ago now.  I think they could have cared less if my gun was on or not.  Some have a target set up, but it's only there if the client want to check out his gun.  Generally they want you to pay them BEFORE they take you hunting, so they surely won't lose any sleep over you missing an animal they might put you on.  They got their money the rest is up to you.  It's just business to them.

Maybe I should reword that, most "reputable" outfitter/guides have a huge interest in there clients and the game that is being hunted. They want the clients to score and generate repeat business and they don't want the reputation of being wounded animal chasers(yes, it happens)

If you hunted with an outfitter that was only concerned about getting his money, then you need to ungrade your quality of outfitter...........................I think I would feel screwed before my hunt even started.

FDXX75

I did a review on "Twiztd Strings" on another site last year . They are nice . Here it is .....

TWIZTD STRINGS is a company located in Michigan that builds custom strings . The strings are made based on your specifications or those of the manufacturer . The materials used are Brownell Excel or BCY 452X Most colors are available . 2X serving is used for end servings . Halo may be used for specialty orders . All strings are pre-stretched at 300 lbs and served under tension using a Little Jon serving machine .

I ordered 2 sets of string and cable for my Ben Pearson TX-4 . One set is the Excel (seemed to be faster in some of the previous tests) and the other set is the 452X . I ordered the Excel in Green / Black and the 452X in Purple / Black . I was quite pleased with the color options .

I had contacted Sean at Twiztd Strings and gave him my string measurement . Sean in turn contacted Ben Pearson Archery to verify the specifications on my bow model . When I received the strings , I took the Excel strings to my local bow shop to have them installed professionally . When I picked up my bow I asked the shop owner if he had any problems . Dave , at Trophy Taker Shop said he had taken measurements of the new string & cable , bow axle to axle , brace height , plus measured the string / cable that he removed from my TX-4 . He said the strings & cables measured the same and that the string I had removed was in fine shape .

So far I am quite pleased with the Strings / Cables and the personal touch from those at Twiztd Strings .

The picture with the brighter string is the new one . The original string is the dull colored one .