Pistol Recertification

nyantler

The Monroe county clerk is hosting the Bob Lonsberrry show today . He got the numbers from the state poilce , in MC there are well over 50,000 permit holders the vast number of them more then 5 years old, only 13,000 have done recertification . State wide about 100k have done it , not sure of total numbers of state wide holders .

He said last year 2,700 applied , and that was an all time high, so let's use 2,500 per year for the last 5 that's 12,500, which means about  40,000 would need to recert. yet only 13.000 have so far .Should make for an interesting January .

Our paper ones are sitting in the kitchen waiting for last minute mailing .

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

every 5 years after the date your permit was issued.  should say it right on it.  if not call your county pistol clerk.  in your case, you don't have to re-certify until that November, versus sooner by the end of January.

....i'd still be an overachiever and send it in late January though.

is this something i will receive a letter in the mail like the dmv though? i didn't re-read all 5 pages but thought there wasn't any notifications. 

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

is this something i will receive a letter in the mail like the dmv though? i didn't re-read all 5 pages but thought there wasn't any notifications. 

some are getting them but i know some haven't.  my pistol clerk told me that the state said do not assume you'll be given personal notice of any particular kind.  same as when you own the gun it doesn't come with a law book.  it's your responsibility to stay informed.  Right on the state police registration site it says what was in my previous reply.  i wouldn't bank on getting anything.

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

The last possible day is 5 years from doi? the january stuff is confusing to me. Mine is from 2013 and is plastic. 

let me make it simple. January 15, 2013 is the line in the sand date. if your permit was ORIGINALLY issued prior to that then you have to re-certify by January 31st 2018. if you permit was ORIGINALLY issued after that date then your issue date plus 5 years is the date you must recertify by

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

some are getting them but i know some haven't.  my pistol clerk told me that the state said do not assume you'll be given personal notice of any particular kind.  same as when you own the gun it doesn't come with a law book.  it's your responsibility to stay informed.  Right on the state police registration site it says what was in my previous reply.  i wouldn't bank on getting anything.

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

let me make it simple. January 15, 2013 is the line in the sand date. if you permit was ORIGINALLY issued prior to that then you have to re-certify by January 31st 2018. if you permit was ORIGINALLY issued after that date then your issue date plus 5 years is the date you must recertify by

that clarifies it thanks. Wayne has been pretty friendly to us armed thugs, so i'll keep a reminder on my calendar next year but also hope for a notice.

did you old timers (lol) get mailings?

Just about every "old-timer" I know is planning on holding out until the last minute. The next re-certification will be five years from the date of this one and I'm not going to give them an inch on their arbitrary deadline/time-frame. BTW, my original permit is dated 6/11/1981.

• Like 2

Just about every "old-timer" I know is planning on holding out until the last minute. The next re-certification will be five years from the date of this one and I'm not going to give them an inch on their arbitrary deadline/time-frame. BTW, my original permit is dated 6/11/1981.

It also says NO EXPIRATION! I hate COUMO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

Making it confusing and causing many to miss their deadline is not a design flaw , but a feature .

That's the insidious part of it.

I received a notification letter from the State Police regarding the re-certification in February and thought I had missed the deadline. I calmed myself down before calling friends in law enforcement and remembered the SAFE act was passed in 2013, and that it was a five year schedule. 2018.

I really don't like being screwed with in this way. It's a Constitutionally enumerated right, not a privilege to be toyed with by petty tyrants.

• Like 2