whats the longest shot

rock

30 yards is it for me (a lot closer if I can arrange it). Sure I can do a lot better on the range but I get a little nervous about deer reaction when I start shooting any farther. So maybe I pass on some longer shots that might actually be successful. That's ok ....... I'm not into bowhunting to see how long a shot I can take. So up to 30 yards is where I feel reasonably confident.

Doc

The longest shot I've taken was 47 yards.  The conditions were 'perfect'... I was hunting in a hedgerow - open field, no wind, grazing deer, broadside shot, no other deer around.  He only ran about 70 yards. 

In the woods I won't shoot over 35 yards (I try for MUCH less) - too many variables.

40 - 45

i do want to start practicing longer distance tho. practicing at longer distances makes chip shots for the closer ranges...

It's true. When you can consistantly drill the target at long distances, the confidence at reasonable shooting distances is increased. Besides it kind of fun watching the arrow hang out there forever while it covers the longer distances. I remember when we used to shoot the 80 yard shot on a field course with recurves. The arrow almost seemed to be in slow motion. That's just plain fun. Also, if we could score anything on that shot, we went into the next closer shots with a new level of confidence.

Doc

A survey was made years ago of what was the average shot that took deer with a bow and it was found that 90% of all deer taken was under 20 yards. They again did the survey when the compound bow came in and guess what was the level of change based on the new type of bow ? stayed the same. I shoot all year long, both 3D, spots, I even have my own outdoor range setup and feel I would not have a problem in the hardwoods of getting a good shot out to about 35 yards. I then feel that the conditions we hunt in would cause me to have maybe a bad hit on the deer due to hitting a twig etc. Now if you ask a guy in the mid west, the flat landers get shots out to 50 to 60 yards and will take game at that distance.

40 - 45

i do want to start practicing longer distance tho. practicing at longer distances makes chip shots for the closer ranges...

It's true. When you can consistantly drill the target at long distances, the confidence at reasonable shooting distances is increased. Besides it kind of fun watching the arrow hang out there forever while it covers the longer distances. I remember when we used to shoot the 80 yard shot on a field course with recurves. The arrow almost seemed to be in slow motion. That's just plain fun. Also, if we could score anything on that shot, we went into the next closer shots with a new level of confidence.

Doc

haha thats pretty funny... i usually practice at the 30 - 35 range. i deff want to kick that up to the 50 - 60 range. you practice out that far with the compund?

haha thats pretty funny... i usually practice at the 30 - 35 range. i deff want to kick that up to the 50 - 60 range. you practice out that far with the compund?

Not on a regular basis anymore. I will go back and try a shot or two from that distance occasionally just for the heck of it. Back when I was competing on NFAA field archery courses, The max shot was 80 yards. That was fun. What is it on the FITA shoots? ...... Something like 100 meters? Now that is some long distance shooting.

Doc