Steelhead

germs087

Anyone pass the winter months by chasing steel? I just started last month but have found myself on the creek every weekend since. I have done quite of bit of inland trout but there is something about hearing the drag on the reel.

I am typically on Chautauqua creek but have dabbled in all of them between Chaut and the Oak if anyone wants to head out.

• Like 5

I used to fish steelies some but it tended to bring me bad luck..

In 1994, I was smoking  some steelhead filets and due to a freak accident, I burned my house down..My wife wouldn't let me smoke fish after that.

Then in 2004 I totaled my new (17,000 miles) truck on my way out to Erie Pa  steelhead fishing...

Used to fish the mouth of the Catt in the fall a lot. Blue/silver cleos zung off the lakeside part of the breakwall. Loved airborne fish when they jumped. Burt dam combat fishing got old quick. Did land a monster brown there many years back. Scoby hill dam with fly rod and sucker spawn . Cayuga creek , by my house , caught quite a few. Art park in the gorge in dead of winter produced a crap ton of ill fighting lakers with occasional steelie.  Used to fish pretty hard. Now it's been years. 

Occasionally when it's a little warmer. some years ago when I first got into steelhead I went a hell of alot, but occaisional hookups 1-2, or no fish days got old. Breaking ice off the rod tip, feet numb, waiting for the float to go down, got old, although they are fun when you hook into them. Go to those creeks in the early spring for smallies THATS fun. I was literally catching fish about every cast my brother too, more than one double hookup, every fish being near 3 lb, best was a chunky 4lb'er, and the smallmouth are quite the acrobatic fighter like steelhead

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Talking of steelies I have an Edwards quadrate in 8wt that I would like to know more about. I won this rod at a trout unlimited dinner in Elmira. If anyone can shed some light on this rod please do. 

well an 8wt would be a fly rod, (you probably knew that already), gonna need an appropriate size reel, and line, I'd go with weight forward (WF) IN 8 WT. WF line is easier for casting. 8 imo is a bit heavy for steelies, but hey it can double as a salmon rod. Decide if you want to get into the fly fishing because it's an expensive hobby, especially if u purchase flies, and after all that spending, it's no easy task to manuever. Between getting the line out, mending for a clean drift, and actually hooking and landing a fish is quite difficult

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ManicOutdoorsman92 said:

well an 8wt would be a fly rod, (you probably knew that already), gonna need an appropriate size reel, and line, I'd go with weight forward (WF) IN 8 WT. WF line is easier for casting. 8 imo is a bit heavy for steelies, but hey it can double as a salmon rod. Decide if you want to get into the fly fishing because it's an expensive hobby, especially if u purchase flies, and after all that spending, it's no easy task to manuever. Between getting the line out, mending for a clean drift, and actually hooking and landing a fish is quite difficult

8WT seems to be the standard, but I know people that use 6WT's for them. I use a 10WT for salmon though. 

8WT seems to be the standard, but I know people that use 6WT's for them. I use a 10WT for salmon though. 
damn 10, I guess it helps if you hook a bigger one, I expect to be hooking average size fish, and will take the extra play for smaller fish vs backbone for the occasional big one, although that can lead to upset when the big one bites

22 minutes ago, ManicOutdoorsman92 said:

damn 10, I guess it helps if you hook a bigger one, I expect to be hooking average size fish, and will take the extra play for smaller fish vs backbone for the occasional big one, although that can lead to upset when the big one bites

It's not about the size of the fish, its about the area I fish. I fish the rapids above the SR's town pool and if they turn down stream your chances of landing that fish drop significantly. The 10WT allows me to put some more muscle on the fish so I can swing it in if it goes downstream. If I was fishing just for steel, Id get a 7WT probably. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ManicOutdoorsman92 said:

Thanks for commenting on this rod. No reel or line with it bare rod. 8wt is  marked on the tube. When I was in my teens I used a glass rod 5wt for my fly fishing. At that time I tied my own fly's. Lost interest in my late teens and fly fished very little. As a retirement gift to self I purchased a carbon 5wt outfit haven't used it to date it's been 7yrs. The Edwards rod has a Pete Dailey signature on it and is a beautiful rod.

037_zpsbtb11s5a.jpg

043_zpsmweuhhkb.jpg

040_zpsseigpdxc.jpg

Edited by SmokeinTN

Steelhead !!!!!!!!!!

Now your talking my language; ealy spring drop backs ready to eat MEAT as they attack big drifted flies.

I use a 6wt with sink tip and florocarbon leader in varied weights as water clarity dictates. I like streamers and egg patterns in many different colors. I tie my own so have some crazy combinations. I hit the Salmnon as much as possible and a few tribs. This time of year the crowds are small and I can move along easily with the drift boat.

Good luck and see you on the water.

hyde-high-side-pro-drift-boat-3-640x480.jpg

• Like 1

Never fails that WNY gets 8" of snow on Wednesday and now it is supposed to be 50 tomorrow. Going to hit the stream at first light and hope to get some time in before the creek blows out. Mother Nature has chose not to reward us 9-5ers too much this season but so it goes.

Thanks for commenting on this rod. No reel or line with it bare rod. 8wt is  marked on the tube. When I was in my teens I used a glass rod 5wt for my fly fishing. At that time I tied my own fly's. Lost interest in my late teens and fly fished very little. As a retirement gift to self I purchased a carbon 5wt outfit haven't used it to date it's been 7yrs. The Edwards rod has a Pete Dailey signature on it and is a beautiful rod.
037_zpsbtb11s5a.jpg
043_zpsmweuhhkb.jpg
040_zpsseigpdxc.jpg

You didn't say it was bamboo, what a beauty! I was going to say don't waste big bucks on a reel, the Orvis Clearwater or similar is more than adequate. But for that pretty rod you're going to have to invest $450 in a pretty machined aluminum large arbor reel. Sorry but rules are rules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You didn't say it was bamboo, what a beauty! I was going to say don't waste big bucks on a reel, the Orvis Clearwater or similar is more than adequate. But for that pretty rod you're going to have to invest $450 in a pretty machined aluminum large arbor reel. Sorry but rules are rules

Lol I think your right. I have been looking for vintage reels but it's only going to be a show piece so not in a hurry . 
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

8 hours ago, SmokeinTN said:

037_zpsbtb11s5a.jpg

043_zpsmweuhhkb.jpg

040_zpsseigpdxc.jpg

If your looking for a reel go with a redington behmouth. I used it this year and it took a beating and asked for more! Cant say enough about this reel. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, germs087 said:

I think he wanted a price on that rod...and if so if it worth some good coin.

That said I think I would be too scared to actually fish that rod properly.

Not looking for a price already have that. Just looking to see if anyone has heard of this type number rod and who is Pete Dailey. Your right this rod will not be fished by me. I can screw up a steel pole !

Gosh I use to steelhead fish all the time. Just another hobby that got sucked up by life. I loved the early spring run after a month of no small game hunting it was great getting back outdoors. It was cold it's was windy it was miserable but man did I love to do it. Hooking a big steelhead and listening to that reel scream as it ran!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1